Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Edgecutter Exclusive Review: "DIRECTV HS17 - Genie 2"

getting closer

Quote Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
    getting closer
    How close? The HS17 is not showing on my DirecTV equipment upgrade page, nor is it on Solid Signal. The suspense is killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by MAChavez00 View Post
    How close? The HS17 is not showing on my DirecTV equipment upgrade page, nor is it on Solid Signal. The suspense is killing me.

August is the supposed nationwide launch. And someone else mentioned it is out of pilot so hopefully solid signal gets it soon

Carl, have you verified with the box that it only handles 100 series?

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Unfortunately, still limited ...

Quote Originally Posted by Drew2k View Post
    Ah, yeah, that's disappointing it's still limited to 100 series. The logic of that never made sense: standalone dual-tuner DVR does 50, five-tuner Genie is meant to replace 3 rooms but only does 100. Now there's a seven tuner DVR for seven clients, but it still only manages 100 series. In a household with mom, dad, a few kids, and a lot of different tastes in shows, they'll likely be hitting that upper ceiling a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew2k View Post
    Unfortunately, still limited ...
    Hello Drew2k, That is why DirecTV/ATT will try to supplement that limitation by using the internet and possibly the cloud to make this a success. If this becomes the case then there will be more internet usage and the need for satellite receiving equipment at the home will decrease. It will take quite a while but sometime in the deep dark future there will be no satellite receiving hardware at the home. The cost reduction will pay for the internet only feed from DirecTV and make a greater profit. No great infrastructure required with the only things needed are satellites, earth stations cloud storage and the internet!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by caseyf5 View Post
    Hello Drew2k, That is why DirecTV/ATT will try to supplement that limitation by using the internet and possibly the cloud to make this a success. If this becomes the case then there will be more internet usage and the need for satellite receiving equipment at the home will decrease. It will take quite a while but sometime in the deep dark future there will be no satellite receiving hardware at the home. The cost reduction will pay for the internet only feed from DirecTV and make a greater profit. No great infrastructure required with the only things needed are satellites, earth stations cloud storage and the internet!!!!!!!
    Maybe this will occur, but not in the next few years. First, satellite is far more reliable than internet. Between internet outages and power outages, it is not nearly as reliable. Even with rain fade on Directv. Also AT&T internet is too slow for me. Only 18mbps due to old copper lines and I don't see them bringing Fiber (FTTH) in my hood anytime soon. Our homes are spread out, not quite close to each other so the economics are not in their favor.

And they still seem to be launching satellites and I expect they have a 10-20 year depreciation.

The real issue is that Directv is driving everyone to a single server. But to not have personal playlists for 7 TV's and more SL's means they are not in touch with consumer needs. Why the HS17 s/w code didn't accommodate this is perplexing.

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Every new ce I check..... no change.

Quote Originally Posted by NR4P View Post
    Maybe this will occur, but not in the next few years. First, satellite is far more reliable than internet. Between internet outages and power outages, it is not nearly as reliable. Even with rain fade on Directv. Also AT&T internet is too slow for me. Only 18mbps due to old copper lines and I don't see them bringing Fiber (FTTH) in my hood anytime soon. Our homes are spread out, not quite close to each other so the economics are not in their favor.

And they still seem to be launching satellites and I expect they have a 10-20 year depreciation.

The real issue is that Directv is driving everyone to a single server. But to not have personal playlists for 7 TV's and more SL's means they are not in touch with consumer needs. Why the HS17 s/w code didn't accommodate this is perplexing.
    Hello NR4P, Streaming is coming and there is no stopping it but it could easily be slowed down by lack of funding for the backbone support. The private companies will only do what they have to do to make it work which is why your ATT sucks. I'm using your example as most of the private internet companies suck. Not every internet service provider is as bad as yours and if you look around the globe we are falling further behind each and every day when it comes to the internet. The costs are way out of line with the internet service provided. There is a need for satellites and as I posted they will be used for quite a while into the future as we live on a globe and the signals somehow refuse to circle the globe by themselves and go to other areas so we require relays in the sky! If you look at the mess we have created floating around the planet it is amazing that we can launch anything without it being his by floating debris. As I said before the cost of maintaining the many different types of equipment verses using only one is easy for today's corporations. It doesn't take a rocket scientist for figure out what the corporations will choose. When they settle on the wrong system the customer pays the price. Over time the DirecTV customer base will decrease for myriad reasons. Primarily it will be due to costs.