Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Satellite Transponder Information

Well, I guess the remainder of the Ka hi-band tps. 1-8 will be clear soon. Perhaps for D15 to finally go into service providing 8 additional CONUS tps. to 103(ca)?

Anyway, DIRECTV files request to both extend its license to '25 and more importantly move SW1 at 103W nom. to 138.9W to provide Ka-band back-up to AMC-8 and its successor for telphoney services to Alaska ....

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....rC/File+Number
    Last edited by HoTat2; 09-13-2017 at 05:03 AM.

Well that is a rather fantastic find, nice work!

Wow. I wonder I'm sure they could reconfigure some of the transponders back to internet use and use a few of them for remote internet in alaska. That's what I would be doing.
    My thoughts and views on this forum are mine and do not reflect the thoughts and views of my current employer and are by no means official communication!

And I guess they've solved the issue with moving the Portland locals to the D... er, excuse me, "T14" (silly change) spotbeam tp. Not sure where Beaumont and Amarillo, TX. local markets are headed.

And even more significant, wonder where all those SD channels for PR are headed?

Some eliminated?

Some back to MPEG-2 SD on D5 at 110°W?

Most if not all to "T15's" CONUS + PR. + HI. beam and mirror tps.?

Whatever happens, I can't see anyway around (finally) bringing T15 into service or else PR will have no access to 103W with SW1 leaving DIRECTV service.

Quote Originally Posted by HoTat2 View Post
    Well, I guess the remainder of the Ka hi-band tps. 1-8 will be clear soon. Perhaps for D15 to finally go into service providing 8 additional CONUS tps. to 103(ca)?

Anyway, DIRECTV files request to both extend its license to '25 and more importantly move SW1 at 103W nom. to 138.9W to provide Ka-band back-up to AMC-8 and its successor for telphoney services to Alaska ....

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....rC/File+Number
    Thank you for bring this to our attention. I missed it when you first posted it. I expect more changes coming up soon. As soon as I have time, I am going to plot those beam footprints they provided in the filing. They will no longer concern DirecTV, and I don't know if or where we will publish them, but I want to see what they show. I gathered something was up two weeks ago, when they moved the Tyler, TX locals to D14.
    Tom Speer, N2HF, the curious otter. Part of the DataDigesters team.

I just read through the narrative in the FCC filing. They anticipate moving SW 1 "as early as" Q1 2018. That gives them a minimum of three months to remap the LIL channels, including Puerto Rico, to other satellites.

Although I wonder if they will want the channels on a different satelite for at least a month before they move space way to somewhere else. I wouldn’t be surprised if this happens by the end of October, would you? We are not talking about a lot of markets here are we?

Quote Originally Posted by inkahauts View Post
    ... I wouldn’t be surprised if this happens by the end of October, would you? We are not talking about a lot of markets here are we?
    Nah, just three US LiL markets left on SW1, Portland, Ore., and Amarillo, and Beaumont, TX. Along with all 103W programming to PR, which is currently SD only.

But what's more significant about this are the past apparent technical issues of moving the Portland locals to the D14 spotbeam tp., which was aborted twice before and returned to SW1.

And what happens to the some 54 MPEG-4 SD and 18 Music channels beamed to PR from SW1?

One solution for Portland is to put one of the channels on a National transponder. There are a couple of other possibilities. The big issue will be the PR SD channels, which could go onto the new D15 National transponders. We can only sit and watch. I agree that they will clean off DTV service from SW1 sooner, rather than later. The FCC OK for the DTV filing has not yet been granted, however.
    Last edited by Tom Speer; 09-15-2017 at 05:24 PM.

I have not looked lately, but haven’t they cleared some space on 110 and 119 that hits PR by moving those channels to Hi Definition and on d14 conus?

And it seems to me that either d10, d11, or d12 should have some spots hitting Portland area as well. (Or was this a Utah style problem, wher those spots don’t cover the entire market as well as d14 could/will) I wonder if the issue wasn’t an actual issue and they where just testing but not wanting to leave spaceway perminantly just yet. They do some weird things after all, like the low signal on the one conus transponder that was hitting Los Angeles for a long time that is now just fine, and we have never been able to figure out why. Or maybe this filing suggest they have figure out whatever issue they where having and it’s fixed. I don’t see them putting those channels on a conus beam...