Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: Windows 10 Download

ATTENTION: Windows 10 Fall Creators Update has been released. Features Update to Windows 10 Version 1709 is a very large program that has a very lengthy download/install followed by several lengthy restarts. Anyone wishing to update manually needs to set considerable time aside to accomplish this task. This update contains many new features and improvements. Upon completion of this update several messages will appear on your PC followed by a window explaining the new features and improvements. Also, after updating is complete you will be notified to download/install 2017-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 Build: 16299.19 (KB4043961). Download/install/restart for this update is moderate.
    DIRECTV customer since 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryMan View Post
    ATTENTION: Windows 10 Fall Creators Update has been released. Features Update to Windows 10 Version 1709 is a very large program that has a very lengthy download/install followed by several lengthy restarts. Anyone wishing to update manually needs to set considerable time aside to accomplish this task. This update contains many new features and improvements. Upon completion of this update several messages will appear on your PC followed by a window explaining the new features and improvements. Also, after updating is complete you will be notified to download/install 2017-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 Build: 16299.19 (KB4043961). Download/install/restart for this update is moderate.
    I wish I had read this, that download took so long I thought my laptop was shot.

Rich

Wish we could get more control over W10 updates. The last cumulative update messed up my second gen core i7 ultrabook pretty bad to the point it wouldn't boot. After numerous attempts to repair the boot process I got it functioning again. Wish I had never let that one upgrade to W10 in the first place. It's in the garage and is basically a "I need a webpage or a youtube to finish this repair" machine. Still very capable machine for its use and fortunately it's up and running. I thought I'd have to reload it. I never looked into the use of the original W7 key that came with the box to reload W10!!!!! W10 has already hopelessly messed up the power management on the thing since the original update. Like many machines there are no W10 drivers at the MFG website and I'm pretty sure it's probably a driver signature issue. Many older machines with fingerprint scanners have those disabled/unusable under W10 as well My experience shows Lenovo mostly work under W10, HP is hit or miss, and forget about Dell (for fingerprint scanner on W10 that is)!!!!! Oh well!
    Quote Originally Posted by MysteryMan View Post
    DTV since 1996

win10 rarely needs a key once its been installed.. also the win 7 key will still allow you to load win7 from install disk (and it won't ask to upgrade anymore)

So when the W10 update finally does brick that box, it can't be reloaded to W10

I actually think it may be worse than that. I think I remember reading someplace during the "free W10 period" that the W10 upgrade would de-authorize the W7 key for any future use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    win10 rarely needs a key once its been installed.. also the win 7 key will still allow you to load win7 from install disk (and it won't ask to upgrade anymore)
    DTV since 1996

I've wet back several times to 7.. never had a key not work..
    and win10 is licensed by hardware codes so once win10 has been loaded you can always reinstall..
    my machine at work still has valid codes for 7,8 and 10