Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 400

Thread: Windows 10 Download

  1. #331
    Senior Member Rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by NR4P View Post
    Assume you have the Home edition? If so you can defer updates. Go into network and turn on that you have a metered connection. That stops auto updates.

    I got so fed up with blue screen freezes on 1709 in the W10 Pro edition, I backed up my PC and did a reinstall of 1703. Its been rock solid ever since. And with the Pro edition I can defer the 1709 now.
    When I lit up my laptop today I did not see the blue screen. With my luck, I know it will come back. Let me see if my laptop allows me to do what you suggest...I found it. I see how do it. If the blue light comes back I'll change that setting. Thanx.

    BTW, what's the downside of not getting the updates...I get the security thing.

    Rich

  2. #332
    Senior Member MysteryMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    When I lit up my laptop today I did not see the blue screen. With my luck, I know it will come back. Let me see if my laptop allows me to do what you suggest...I found it. I see how do it. If the blue light comes back I'll change that setting. Thanx.

    BTW, what's the downside of not getting the updates...I get the security thing.

    Rich
    Cumulative updates patch known issues and security issues. The downside is if you don't get them you don't get the fix they provide. To see what these updates do select All Settings - Updates & Security - View update history...select a update in you history column and a page will come up with that update's description.
    DIRECTV customer since 1995.

  3. #333
    Senior Member Rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by MysteryMan View Post
    Cumulative updates patch known issues and security issues. The downside is if you don't get them you don't get the fix they provide. To see what these updates do select All Settings - Updates & Security - View update history...select a update in you history column and a page will come up with that update's description.
    Would I have seen, "Fixes blue screen issues.", or words to that effect? Somehow I kinda doubt that...

    Rich

  4. #334
    Senior Member MysteryMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Would I have seen, "Fixes blue screen issues.", or words to that effect? Somehow I kinda doubt that...

    Rich
    You won't know until you take a look Rich.
    DIRECTV customer since 1995.

  5. #335
    Senior Member Rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by MysteryMan View Post
    You won't know until you take a look Rich.
    Ohh, I don't feel like digging thru that...but I will...I'll be back...OK, I looked, felt like homework, and I saw nothing about the blue screen but that could be because I don't know much about blue screens and what I just saw was obviously pointed at folks who know a lot more than I do about these things. But, take a look at yesterday's update screen and tell me if you see anything on there that has anything to do with the blue light.

    Rich

  6. #336
    Senior Member MysteryMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Ohh, I don't feel like digging thru that...but I will...I'll be back...OK, I looked, felt like homework, and I saw nothing about the blue screen but that could be because I don't know much about blue screens and what I just saw was obviously pointed at folks who know a lot more than I do about these things. But, take a look at yesterday's update screen and tell me if you see anything on there that has anything to do with the blue light.

    Rich
    I did not see any blue screen issues mentioned after looking up KB4074588. That said it could be a issue with your PC.
    DIRECTV customer since 1995.

  7. #337
    Senior Member Rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by MysteryMan View Post
    I did not see any blue screen issues mentioned after looking up KB4074588. That said it could be a issue with your PC.
    Blue screen started right after an update and it hasn't happened today right after an update. I think that's a clue. I'm gonna restart this laptop, let me see if that damn screen pops up then. I'll be back.

    Rich

  8. #338
    Senior Member Rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Blue screen started right after an update and it hasn't happened today right after an update. I think that's a clue. I'm gonna restart this laptop, let me see if that damn screen pops up then. I'll be back.

    Rich
    Nope, no blue screen. But, the box that comes up and asks for a pin # didn't come up. My desktop has been doing that since one of the recent updates and I had to use the same workaround for the laptop just now.

    Rich

  9. #339
    Senior Member Rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    603
    I did see the blue screen last night. Didn't last as long as it used to. Didn't see it today. The box for my pin came back too.

    Rich

  10. #340
    Senior Member rakstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    The Great State of Texas
    Posts
    590
    Has anyone found a simple solution to the "auto start where you left off feature" they shoved down our throats? When I reboot I want a clean slate, not the programs that were open prior to reboot. I've been patient as all "fixes" I've read about entail registry changes or other machinations that shouldn't be necessary. I liked the world better when I owned my laptop instead of borrowing it from MicroSoft!
    DTV - March 1996 through March 2018

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •