Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile 55+ cell phone plan

Good to know, I need to hit up Costco this week. Beer supply low after the dismal performance of the Bucks this weekend
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    Good! Let us know what you think of the service. FYI, for you and others, I was in Costco today and asked if they offered the 55+ plan. They said they do and do not charge for sim cards!
    DTV - March 1996 through March 2018

Sounds like some good deals with T-mobile!

I'm not sure if this would help anyone here looking for an alternative, as there's one big caveat, but I dropped Verizon months ago and switched to Google's Project Fi voice/text/data plan. It's $20 month for the first phone and $10/GB of data, with unused data credited back to you. (Ex: My bill would be $30 per month on a 1GB plan, but if I only used 0.34GB this month, $6.40 would be a credit back to me at the end of this billing cycle.)

For the voice/data network it uses 3 companies: Sprint, T-mobile, and US Cellular, switching seamlessly between them as needed. It also supports Wi-Fi calling.

The big caveat: It only works on select phones, such as the Nexus, Nexus 6P, Pixel, and Pixel XL. You can buy these phones from Google on payment plans.

So, if you don't need tons of data and have the right phone, maybe this plan would be something to consider. I've not missed Verizon once since I switched to Fi.

Phone plans prices – Project Fi

Thanks for the reminder Drew. For those of you already on T-Mobile, how's their WiFi calling work? I asked about their support for iPhone but forgot to ask about Android. Does it work well regardless of platform? Our house has real poor cell coverage across carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
    Thanks for the reminder Drew. For those of you already on T-Mobile, how's their WiFi calling work? I asked about their support for iPhone but forgot to ask about Android. Does it work well regardless of platform? Our house has real poor cell coverage across carriers.
    I can't talk about Android but it works great for iPhone.

I have used Wi-FI calling ever since it became available on AT&T. Before that I used their microcells. I only get one bar no matter the carrier. But I always had issues with dropped calls and when I answered a call I would get a 3-5 second delay before it kicked in. (Hello, hello, hello) Also with AT&T there always was a delay before it would show up whenever I came home.

All these issues disappeared when I switched to T-Mobile. I have not checked yet to see what happens when you begin a call on wi-fi and switch to their network. AT&T would always drop.

Another interesting benefit of T-Mobile. My wife and I always had tons of junk/spam/scam calls. I was using the Hiya app to block as many as I could. Since switching on September 1st our spam calls have dropped by 95%. This is with the Hiya app turned off. I don't know how they do it but my wife has received zero calls. She used to get about 3 a day. I have received 5 calls and they were all identified as "Scam Likely". This protection is automatic I guess, but I also see options to block all Scam Likely calls with a warning that it may block wanted calls. I have not turned that feature on.

THX, I operated 2 micro-cells when my wife's iPhone was MY ATT corporate line Unfortunately I couldn't keep them in operation when I retired!!

Sounds like we'll be switching. If Costco is giving away the SIMs I'll probably go there because the T-Mobile store wanted to rebate the cost of the SIMs against service over 3 months. That way we can switch back to ST if we have issues!

Great thread folks, helped a lot
    I can't talk about Android but it works great for iPhone.

I have used Wi-FI calling ever since it became available on AT&T. Before that I used their microcells. I only get one bar no matter the carrier. But I always had issues with dropped calls and when I answered a call I would get a 3-5 second delay before it kicked in. (Hello, hello, hello) Also with AT&T there always was a delay before it would show up whenever I came home.

All these issues disappeared when I switched to T-Mobile. I have not checked yet to see what happens when you begin a call on wi-fi and switch to their network. AT&T would always drop.

Another interesting benefit of T-Mobile. My wife and I always had tons of junk/spam/scam calls. I was using the Hiya app to block as many as I could. Since switching on September 1st our spam calls have dropped by 95%. This is with the Hiya app turned off. I don't know how they do it but my wife has received zero calls. She used to get about 3 a day. I have received 5 calls and they were all identified as "Scam Likely". This protection is automatic I guess, but I also see options to block all Scam Likely calls with a warning that it may block wanted calls. I have not turned that feature on.

Well crap. This would cut my cell phone bill almost in half. But I don't have usable coverage at my house. Got a pre-paid sim card to test, and it flat doesn't work. Ten bucks for the pre-paid sim saved me a months service and porting numbers back and forth.

Otherwise I'd be back at the store tomorrow with my wife's phone and mine to switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Leon View Post
    Well crap. This would cut my cell phone bill almost in half. But I don't have usable coverage at my house. Got a pre-paid sim card to test, and it flat doesn't work. Ten bucks for the pre-paid sim saved me a months service and porting numbers back and forth.

Otherwise I'd be back at the store tomorrow with my wife's phone and mine to switch.
    Can your phones do WI-FI calling?

Well crap. This would cut my cell phone bill almost in half. But I don't have usable coverage at my house. Got a pre-paid sim card to test, and it flat doesn't work. Ten bucks for the pre-paid sim saved me a months service and porting numbers back and forth
    Always the biggest issue with T-Mobile for me where I live.

Can your phones do WI-FI calling?
    Yes. Samsung Galaxy S6 (both wife and I).
    Trying that with Verizon was unsatisfactory. I have just enough signal that it wants to stay on the LTE network, but not enough signal many times to actually receive or hold a call. I'm afraid trying it with T-Mo would have same results. Or maybe go to airplane mode and turn wifi back on? Haven't tried that.

Yes. Samsung Galaxy S6 (both wife and I).
    Trying that with Verizon was unsatisfactory. I have just enough signal that it wants to stay on the LTE network, but not enough signal many times to actually receive or hold a call. I'm afraid trying it with T-Mo would have same results. Or maybe go to airplane mode and turn wifi back on? Haven't tried that.
    I think that may have been my issue with AT&T. Not an issue so far with T-Mobile. BTW, they do offer full refund within 14 days if it doesn't work for you.