Thread: The DirecTv/AT&T combined billing nightmare continues...

The DirecTv/AT&T combined billing nightmare continues...

Many of you know I canceled my DirecTV account in November after 14 years and many issues I was having with them that I have mentioned in other threads. I had also canceled my AT&T cell phones with them in September. I had a combined billing account.

For the most part canceling service went well, or so I thought. I figured I would get a pro rated refund on the cell charges. The local AT&T store told me I would get a check within 30 days.

In December DirecTV sent me a debit card with the pro rated credit and a statement showing the account canceled.

I was OK with that but they were shorting me about $32.00 according to my records. My wife and I discussed this but decided we were fine and would not pursue any additional refund.

Life is good.

Then last Friday I get a bill from AT&T for DirecTV programming for a period after my account was canceled.

I call the number on the bill. First person I talk to says they can’t see my bill and need to transfer me to “combined” billing.

They transfer me. I go through the issue again and find out that person can’t help me because they are in the u verse department. Cable and internet that isn’t even available in Colorado.
    They transfer me to combined billing.

Combined billing tells me I owe the amount on the bill because AT&T paid DirecTV the $32.00 for the period I didn’t have service. I tell them they are wrong and I am not paying for service after my account was cancelled. I tell them this is obviously an internal billing issue. The CSR continues to tell me I owe this amount and that I can use the DirecTV debit card I was sent to pay the bill. WTF?

I ask for a supervisor and eventually get one I think. This guy holds the line and continues to insist I owe the bill since AT&T paid DirecTV. I continue to ask how I owe anything since DirecTV sent me a debit card with a refund? I ask aren’t they one company and isn’t this an internal billing issue? I continue to get absolutely nowhere. Then I bring up the amount that AT&T owes me on the cell phone bill. He says this is an issue I need to take up with the wireless department and transfers me. Wireless says they can’t see my bill and try to transfer me back to Combined billing. I object and am told that I should talk to the rebate department. (again WTF). They come back and say the rebate department is closed and I will have to call back tomorrow. At this point I have been on the phone two and one half hours.

It is very obvious that there is no way to get this issue resolved. Tomorrow I will make a call to my credit card company to request that no further payments be made to AT&T. I assume AT&T may try to send me to collections over a $32.00 internal billing error. Yet they owe me over $100.00 in refunds between cell phone and DirecTV charges they were paid for services after each account was canceled.

In my 65 years on this planet I have never dealt with a more inept company. I feel very sorry for others with combined billing. I also feel sad that AT&T is driving DirecTV into the ground.

It was a good 14 years with DirecTV for the most part, but at this pace I doubt the satellite service we knew can survive the ineptitude of AT&T, there billing and business practices.

Whether anyone will admit it or not, the Edgecutters are seeing this also by the lack of information and respect shown to them by AT&T.

File this under the result of -Combined Billing -to get $5 off - (the AT&T) Directv site is over flowing with the Same joy of combined billing HORROR - Pay it and you will still be Billed again and again as no one can "SEE" your bill either paid or not

If you keep getting recurring charges from any credit card company, and you wish to stop it, most times the only way to deal with it is tell you CC company you lost your card. You will get a new CC and while it will be pain for other companies with recurring charges to reset, the annoying one will no longer be able to charge you.

Some of us have managed to avoid getting the AT&T and DirecTV accounts combined....thankfully.
    DirecTV Customer since 1996
    CE participant since 2006

There has to be someone who can fix it, the problem is finding that person. Have you tried to deal with this I writing yet? I would because they will probably pay more attention to it that way, especially if you can create a paper trail of what you are actually owed and how they owed you more than 32.

I was not aware that you got refunds for partial months on cell service anymore, since they are unlimited services...

Person Non Gratis
    I had good luck following the arbitration process at https://www.att.com/esupport/article...less/KM1045585. Just sent in the form and supporting documentation and in less then a week got a call with the problem resolved.

Inkahauts, working on that now. I have bills and documentation to back up the DirecTV billing issues.

I was not planning to pursue the wireless issue but we were told by the company owned AT&T store we would be getting a refund. If they want to fight me over $32.00, I will fight them over more.

Rad, thanks for that link. It may come to that. I want/need to go one more round with the AT&T store manager to see if this can be resolved without arbitration.

I am totally convinced that this is an internal billing issue between AT&T and DirecTV. Funny how they claim they are one big happy family on the sales side but point fingers at each other when there are billing issues.

Person Non Gratis
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    Rad, thanks for that link. It may come to that. I want/need to go one more round with the AT&T store manager to see if this can be resolved without arbitration.
    Good luck with that. When I have my billing issue the AT&T store manager said that they can't do anything concerning billing issues.

I was able to flag my credit card for no more reoccurring billing charges to AT&T.

CenturyLink just "unbundled" our Verizon wireless bill, no issues yet. CL ended its agreement with VZW. We still have our DirecTV account bundled. I'm not sure if that will end as well since CL has Prism rolling out along with FTTH. We had FTTH 1 GB internet installed, but chose to stay with DirecTV for the time since Prism was missing a few channels we watch.