Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HR54-500 Edgecutter Review

Quote Originally Posted by Laxguy View Post
    Looks terrific!

One question: In the power supply jack, there's another port next to it. What for, please?
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ortiz View Post
    Just another screw.
    DIRECTV customer since '99

Great job!

Like everyone else said, Great Job!
    DIRECTV customer since 1995.

Another great job.

Edgecutter
    So the HR54 is mostly a souped up HR44? Improved RVU (er Directv Ready) server functionality? Or is there another compelling reason to upgrade? Reverse Band functionality? I would think there are 4,000 other reasons to upgrade, but given the C61 has been announced I would think the HR64 would give you 4k reasons.

First of all, I'm not sure there will be an HR64, and I'm not even saying that with a wink. I think HR54 is the end of the line for the Genie product, meaning that if you want live 4K you will have to do it with a client box or with a DIRECTV 4K ready TV.

There's got to be something they're going to use those two extra SWM channels for. Loose lips have suggested that they will be bonded together to deliver live 4K, and that will be the only way you will get live 4K reception. That also implies an RDBS dish, which while also unconfirmed, is something that loose lips have been flapping about for a while.

Speaking as a representative as a company that provides DIRECTV equipment, this is the best futureproof option for now. In two years you may want something else (probably not an HR64 since that may not ever happen) but there will be something else that serves the needs of all AT&T and DIRECTV customers.

as always, awesome job on the FLs
    Think Different 

Great job on the review. Was an easy informative read. Things have come a long way since the very first "First Looks". Again, thanks to all who participated in the testing and writing of the review.
    HR34-700(0x009F6)▶️Networked: via Deca hardwired to Actiontec MI424WR (FiOS)▶️OTA: No ▶️DOD Enabled: Yes
    HDTV: Panasonic Plasma TH-50PZ85U connected via Monster HDMI▶️Home Theater: Onkyo HT-R393 connected via coax cable▶️Whole Home: Yes

HR20-700 (0x07EB)▶️Networked: Yes via Deca▶️OTA: No▶️HDTV: Hitachi Plasma P42H401 connected via HDMI▶️Whole Home: Yes

AU9 Slimline▶️SWiM

Excellent work!