Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Welcome! Here are the rules!

Interesting article on the cost of streaming rising.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/bun...prices-n959101

Quote Originally Posted by NR4P View Post

That article is not really accurate in the real world as thy are including 100% of thr broadband bill with the streaming subscriptions to compare to cable/sat. Most people who have cable/sat will still have broadband for uses besides streaming video. Maybe a bundling deal, maybe a lower tier so you could include about $20 of the broadband with streaming subscriptions but not the whole thing

In the case of cable triple plays, though, the internet piece could be half the cost of à la cart internet. So maybe $30-$40 more attributed to streaming, depending on your cableco’s rates. I pay about $114 all-in for my triple play. Unbundled internet, phone and a $50 streaming package would probably run me about $140, including taxes and fees.

Quote Originally Posted by NR4P View Post

Hello NR4P, Welcome to the world of capitalism where more is expected. Money that is. It never ends! Giving less is more! Less content for the same or a greater amount of money is the goal Big finance need this! The problem with this philosophy is that there is never enough!
    Yours,
    caseyf5

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    That article is not really accurate in the real world as thy are including 100% of thr broadband bill with the streaming subscriptions to compare to cable/sat. Most people who have cable/sat will still have broadband for uses besides streaming video. Maybe a bundling deal, maybe a lower tier so you could include about $20 of the broadband with streaming subscriptions but not the whole thing
    Look closer st the graph they posted. It includes internet for both. It’s because of triple play that it’s accurate. Att will try and be the with 5g is my guess, and it will be inte sting to see what kinds of discounts they give for that when you also have other att products like any of the DIRECTV platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by inkahauts View Post
    Look closer st the graph they posted.
    What else is wrong with that comparison is its apples to oranges re:content. The left side doesn’t include the approximately $50/ month needed for cable, local and RSN channels, and the right side might be including HBO, but doesn’t include Prime or Netflix. I’ll give Hulu a pass, because the right side might have on demand, or access to the on demand apps of the various networks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    What else is wrong with that comparison is its apples to oranges re:content. The left side doesn’t include the approximately $50/ month needed for cable, local and RSN channels, and the right side might be including HBO, but doesn’t include Prime or Netflix. I’ll give Hulu a pass, because the right side might have on demand, or access to the on demand apps of the various networks.
    Say what? While the content isn't quite the same but the idea is you wouldn't be paying for cable and rsns with the streaming only options. it does include locals, as they are hulu. Also the idea is you wouldn't get or need netflix or prime if you are getting cable, because that has a lot of content.

I'd say if there's an issue, its maybe exact actual content, but in terms of variety of content, both would have a lot of options.

Say what? While the content isn't quite the same but the idea is you wouldn't be paying for cable and rsns with the streaming only options. it does include locals, as they are hulu. Also the idea is you wouldn't get or need netflix or prime if you are getting cable, because that has a lot of content.
    I guess we're talking about different Hulu offerings. The $8/month Hulu in that chart doesn't include locals or RSNs. Hulu with live TV does, but that's about $40-$50/month. That would put the left side about $25 higher than the right.

And I use Prime and Netflix a lot, along with my cable triple play. In my case, those are desirable premiums, just like HBO and SHO. Just me, tho. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I guess we're talking about different Hulu offerings. The $8/month Hulu in that chart doesn't include locals or RSNs. Hulu with live TV does, but that's about $40-$50/month. That would put the left side about $25 higher than the right.

And I use Prime and Netflix a lot, along with my cable triple play. In my case, those are desirable premiums, just like HBO and SHO. Just me, tho. YMMV.
    Yeah, while I’m talking about how the article ranks it out, there is a question of what all these things are. Personally I see amazon prime and Netflix as a premium channel package more than a replacement for regular tv. So they can be add ons. I do not see the live Hulu subscription as a channel to add on, it’s a replacement type service to me. But the article seems to want to build a replacement with multiple streaming’s services, and compare to someone who wouldn’t have any streaming services.

But the article seems to want to build a replacement with multiple streaming’s services, and compare to someone who wouldn’t have any streaming services.
    Ya. That's what I meant by apples to oranges. Comparing multiple streaming services to a standard cable programming package, with live TV and RSNs.