Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIRECTV NOW New Feature Requests

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
    The exact same features/channels as "real" DirecTV...that is what it would take for me.
    Hello bluemoon737, I remember reading somewhere that DirecTV would replicate the satellite service. Unfortunately no time frame but they want to have as many people using streaming as they expect to have only 5 or so milllion left who can't leave the satellite service for myriad reasons at the end of their 5 year plan starting in 2016. They still will be in the satellite service but with a reduced amount of customers. This could be one of the reasons for what everyone is now expericncing with new hardware and the new GUI/UI.

I agree with what everyone else is saying, and the following are primary absolutes for me:

All local channels
    Availability/choice of "standard" cable/satellite channels (200-300 series)
    DVR playback with ability to skip commercials (absolutely mandatory!)
    At least 60 prefer 90 day recording storage.
    No limit on how many episodes of a show that can be recorded (but have ability to set limits). Some shows I record every episode, some I limit to 5 episodes, some I limit to 1. So essentially, same as hardware DVR.
    Ability to watch (stream to) multiple/any location.

It would be nice to have a sort preference for the guide either alphabetically by channel name as it is now or by Directv channel number.

All local channels
    Basically all 200-300, plus RSN channels
    Full DVR functionality and no limits on # of days or skipping commercials
    Ability to stream and playback DVR recordings from anywhere (and not the low quality crap from the MobileDVR transcoded stuff)

I wouldn't mind a local device if it allowed the DVR functionality.

I have tried it before and the quality of the stream was great, but I don't like the UI of the app. I like the guide instead of looking at the channel's on demand content. I even used it to stream on a plane and it worked fine. The on demand reliance of it just isn't that useful to me at this point.

The ability to change the "Usage Meter" settings which is akin to changing the Power Saving Mode on DTV. There's nothing more aggravating than watching a live sports event that goes over 4 hours and having a prompt pop up wanting to know if you are still watching! If you don't respond, it will shut down.

Improved DVR functionality! I'd like to see a skip button (as on my Tivo's) but I doubt we'll ever see that. Current commercial skipping is now limited to 15 sec skip forward (which actually works quite well) or blindly fast-forwarding. Needs a way to add additional recording time for live events.

Increase the stream limit to 3 in all packages at no additional cost!!!

As far as locals, I have all locals available on OTA w/ Tivo's so I don't need them, especially if they increase the cost.

Bring the streaming resolutions from mobile devices to all devices. For some things, like when the TV's on for basic noise, let me select a lower resolution rather than streaming at the highest resolution.

Sign on authentication for all apps that you have access to. Ex.: You can't use the TNT app and authenticate with your DTVNow credentials.

Hello jagrim, I remember reading somewhere that DirecTV Now is going to three streams sometime later this year.

You can buy the third stream right now for $5/month. I haven't found it to be deal killer to have only two streams because of the number of provider apps available, but it would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyf5 View Post
    Hello jagrim, I remember reading somewhere that DirecTV Now is going to three streams sometime later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jagrim View Post
    You can buy the third stream right now for $5/month. I haven't found it to be deal killer to have only two streams because of the number of provider apps available, but it would be nice.
    The only issue I see witn provider apps is with those of us who don’t have unlimited data. AT&T apps like DTV and D5V Now doesn’t use data but the apps do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hookemfins View Post
    The only issue I see witn provider apps is with those of us who don’t have unlimited data. AT&T apps like DTV and D5V Now doesn’t use data but the apps do.
    You're correct but only assuming you want to watch TV on your AT&T phone. Try to cast that picture and you won't watch anything as it is only available for your phone. Log in to that provider app and you can view just about anywhere.

The biggest issue with DTVNow or any of the streaming services is data use. Most use about 3-4 Gb per hour. Many people are capped at 1024 Gb which only would allow about 9-10 hours a day of streaming use in a month. We're a family of 4 so a capped plan is not for us but we have made it work with using Tivo Roamio OTA's for watching and recording OTA networks. In less than a week, I will change from a capped cable internet with speeds between 200-300 to an uncapped Gigabit Fiber Network with a lower cost.

Quote Originally Posted by jagrim View Post
    You're correct but only assuming you want to watch TV on your AT&T phone.

That's exactly what I meant. On the DTV app Fox Sports FL is doesn't show up or if it does I get a ton of freezes. I have to be on WiFi in order to utilize Fox Sports Go app.