Thread: Who pays for fiber feed to local receive facility?

Person Non Gratis

Question Who pays for fiber feed to local receive facility?

Just curious if anyone knows who pays for a fiber (or microwave) feed of an OTA channel from the station to a LRF? I'm asking since our local NBC affiliate has been off the air since yesterday afternoon (normal for them if there's any type of electrical storm that was in the area) and wondering to to send e-mail to asking them to put in an alternative feed then just using OTA. Spectrum, Grande and Google Fiber all have feeds from the station, but DIRECTV and Dish just go the cheap route. Since we're paying a good amount of money in retransmission rights then I should be getting what I'm paying for.

I'm only guessing. I think DirecTV would be the one to pay for the connecting line, be it fiber or copper or whatever. That is one reason they use an OTA receiver someplace rather than connecting at the station, it's cheaper. And one more guess (and that is all it is), the station may want $$ for a connection at their location on top of whatever the line costs are.

And for Directv to use an OTA receiver...they know when the stations is "off the air".
    Comcast locally has a tower with all sorts of VHF and UHF directional antennas and they pull OTA too.