Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: D15 Moving from 103W to 101W

Here's the full 3 page narrative:

EXHIBIT 1
    REQUEST FOR SPECIAL TEMPORARY AUTHORITY

DIRECTV Enterprises, LLC (“DIRECTV”) respectfully requests a grant of special temporary authority
    (“STA”)1 for 30 days commencing September 4, 2018 to drift its T15 satellite (Call Sign S2930) from
    its current location at 102.75 W.L. to 100.85 W.L. and to operate the satellite at 100.85 W.L.
    T15 is currently located at its permanently licensed orbital location of 102.75 W.L.2

DIRECTV plans to relocate the satellite to 100.85 W.L. to fill a temporary business need for
    additional Ku-band DBS (12.2-12.7 GHz (space-to-Earth) and 17.3-17.8 GHz (Earth-to-space)) capacity
    at the nominal 101 W.L. orbital location. The drift is scheduled to begin on September
    4, 2018 and is expected to last approximately ten days. Once relocated, T15 will initially be
    collocated with DIRECTV’s T8 satellite (Call Sign S2632) at 100.85 W.L.3 DIRECTV plans to file a
    separate STA request to relocate T8 to 100.75 W.L. once T15 is relocated to 100.85 W.L. and
    traffic is transferred from T8 to T15. DIRECTV also intends to file an additional, 180-day STA
    request to continue operating T15 at 100.85 W.L. until the satellite returns to its permanently
    licensed orbital location.4

1 DIRECTV has filed this STA request, an FCC Form 159, and a $945.00 filing fee electronically via
    the International Bureau’s Filing System.

2 See Policy Branch Information; Actions Taken, Public Notice, Report No. SAT-01086, File No.
    SAT-LOA-
    20140825-00094 (May 22, 2015); Policy Branch Information; Actions Taken, Public Notice, Report No.
    SAT-01084, File No. SAT-MOD-20140612-00066 (May 15, 2015). T15’s 17/24 GHz BSS band payload was
    originally authorized under Call Sign S2712, which was consolidated with Call Sign S2930 in
    September 2017.

3 See Policy Branch Information; Actions Taken, Public Notice, Report No. SAT-01088, File No.
    SAT-MOD-
    20150304-00009 (May 29, 2015); Policy Branch Information; Actions Taken, Public Notice, Report No.
    SAT-00431, File Nos. SAT-AMD-20070111-00010, SAT-MOD-20061213-00151 (Mar. 30, 2007). T8’s Ka-band
    payload was originally authorized under Call Sign S2132, which was consolidated with Call Sign
    S2632 in September 2017.

4 DIRECTV currently anticipates returning T15 to the nominal 103 W.L. orbital location in 2019
    based on business needs.

During the drift of T15 from 102.75 W.L. to 100.85 W.L., DIRECTV will utilize only the
    satellite’s telemetry, tracking, and control (“TT&C”) frequencies and will follow industry
    practices for coordinating TT&C transmission during the relocation process. The specific TT&C
    frequencies are as follows:

 29502.5 MHz and 29505.9 MHz (T); and
     20198.5 MHz and 20199.5 MHz (R).

Once relocated to 100.85 W.L., DIRECTV seeks authority to operate on the Ku-DBS communications
    frequencies (12.2-12.7 GHz (space-to-Earth) and 17.3-17.8 GHz (Earth-to- space)). At the nominal
    101 W.L. orbital location, DIRECTV will provide DBS service using
    12/17 GHz DBS frequency bands already assigned to DIRECTV for use at the location on DIRECTV’s T8,
    T9S (Call Sign S2669), and T4S (Call Sign S2430) satellites. As such, this application for special
    temporary authority does not implicate the Commission’s freeze on new DBS applications.5
    Grant of this STA will not result in increased risk of harmful interference. As noted

above, DIRECTV will operate only the above-listed TT&C frequencies during the drift and will
    coordinate its TT&C transmissions with operators of satellites in the drift path. In the unlikely
    event that any interference should occur during the drift, DIRECTV will take all reasonable steps
    to eliminate such interference. Once on station at 100.85 W.L., DIRECTV will operate the
    communications payload in conformance with FCC rules and any relevant coordination

5 See Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS) Service Auction Nullified: Commission Sets Forth Refund
    Procedures for Auction No. 52 Winning Bidders and Adopts a Freeze on All New DBS Service
    Applications, Public Notice, 20 FCC Rcd 20618 (2005) (clarifying that “[t]he freeze does not apply
    to applications for replacement satellites, modifications to existing satellite licenses, or
    requests for special temporary authority, unless such applications seek authority to operate on
    frequencies and/or orbital locations not previously authorized for operation by that licensee”)
    (emphasis added).

agreements. DIRECTV has previously provided technical information for T15’s Ku-DBS
    payload and incorporates such information by reference here.6

DIRECTV has assessed and limited the probability of the space station becoming a source of debris
    as a result of collisions with large debris or other operational space stations. Apart from the
    satellite’s temporary colocation with DIRECTV’s T8 satellite, which DIRECTV will manage internally
    to ensure safe-stationkeeping, T15 will not be located at the same orbital location as another
    satellite or at an orbital location that has an overlapping station-keeping volume with another
    satellite. DIRECTV is not aware of any other FCC-licensed system, or any other system applied for
    and under consideration by the FCC, having an overlapping station- keeping volume with T15 at
    100.85 W.L. DIRECTV is also not aware of any other system with an overlapping station-keeping
    volume with T15 that is the subject of an ITU filing that is either in orbit or progressing towards
    launch.
    Grant of this STA request will serve the public interest because it will extend coverage, improve
    service performance, and provide additional capacity to customers at the nominal 101 W.L. orbital
    location. Accordingly, DIRECTV respectfully requests that the Commission grant this request.

6 See Application of DIRECTV Enterprises, LLC For Authorization to Launch and Operate DIRECTV 15 at
    103W.L., File No. SAT-LOA-20140825-00094 (granted May 20, 2015).

Last edited by Gary Toma; 08-19-2018 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by inkahauts View Post
    What will take care of the channels that are on d11 and d12? they don't hit PR as I recall with their conus transponders... And those sats are not going anywhere
    Who says Puerto Rico needs or can get every channel (let alone every HD channel) that we do in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Toma View Post
    Please notice that the narrative talks about "when D15 is relocated to 101.85 and traffic is transferred from D8 to D15..."
    T8 is odd transponders only - no spotbeams - so transferring from T8 to T15 doesn't impact the spot beams at all. Didn't we determine the 'SWM guide channel' was transponder 31? That would be a pretty important one to cut over, but I'm sure there are other ones carrying PIDs that Puerto Rico needs.

Clearly this is a temporary transfer from T8, as not only does the narrative make clear that T15 will go home eventually, but it also talks about T8 moving to 100.75 so it obviously isn't going anywhere. So nothing is going to 110.

No, T15 is taking over for T8 because there's something T8 can't do. The only thing T15 can do that T8 can't with the 16 odd transponders assigned to T8 is hit PR. It isn't about age, T8 has fuel life until 2034.

Quote Originally Posted by slice1900 View Post
    T8 is odd transponders only - no spotbeams - so transferring from T8 to T15 doesn't impact the spot beams at all. Didn't we determine the 'SWM guide channel' was transponder 31? That would be a pretty important one to cut over, but I'm sure there are other ones carrying PIDs that Puerto Rico needs.
    No Tom found out the SWiM guide channel actually uses "Slow PIDs" on DBS tp. 32. And I felt the following from the narrative could be interpreted as T15 eventually taking over for all the satellites at 101W.

Once relocated to 100.85 W.L., DIRECTV seeks authority to operate on the Ku-DBS communications
    frequencies (12.2-12.7 GHz (space-to-Earth) and 17.3-17.8 GHz (Earth-to- space)). At the nominal
    101 W.L. orbital location, DIRECTV will provide DBS service using
    12/17 GHz DBS frequency bands already assigned to DIRECTV for use at the location on DIRECTV’s T8,
    T9S (Call Sign S2669), and T4S (Call Sign S2430) satellites.

But your point is well taken if T5 is almost out of gas or has some other problem or deficiency, and DIRECTV is thus really interested in moving the SI/APG data streams for PR there over to the PR spot mirror coming from T15 at 101W.

But again I just thought that with the original 30 day STA followed by a 180 day one would take us to April of '19," where all the while transfering properly positioning T15 and moving T8 over. And then gradually lighting up its Ku DBS tps. and moving odd and even tp. CONUS traffic over to T15.

To where by next April only the LiL spotbeam traffic from T9S and T4S remain on six DBS tp. channels., to be shutdown going forth.
    from there.

That is to say, I expect DIRECTV to apply for another 180 day STA near around next April.

Yeah I guess there's no reason they shouldn't have T15 take over for everything but the six spot beam transponders, that would allow them all to be seen by PR so they don't need to take into account which ones PR can see vs which PIDs PR requires.

It is really interesting that they are clear that it will eventually move back, and claim to expect moving it back sometime in 2019. Given how long it takes from launch to fully operational for a new satellite, i.e. orbit raising to circular GEO orbit then drift to IOT position then 30 days of IOT then drift to permanent location, T16 probably has to launch no later than Labor Day next year. I googled for upcoming launches and it looks like they are pretty fleshed out on manifests for about six months, then it starts getting spotty. Though there's no way to tell for the launches that are firmly set whether the manifest is complete - i.e. the rocket could have a 10,000 kg capacity and be listed with a 3000 kg load, awaiting a launch partner or partners to be filled in later. They may need another additional STA after the second 180 day you mentioned, though it doesn't matter since the FCC would have no reason to deny such a STA no matter how long it took.

When D14/D15 launched they reached the test site several months in advance, to get last minute testing/calibration, packing in the launch vehicle, fueling, etc. So probably needs to reach wherever they are going by June 1st to make a late August launch. Since Directv isn't really doing any publicity for T16 unlike previous launches (perhaps because it doesn't give anything new like 'more HD' or '4K') I guess we won't get photos of it being loaded onto a cargo plane and flown to Guiana or possibly Kazakhstan. If the latter, hopefully Borat isn't responsible for launch operations

I would assume the backup plan in case of launch/satellite failure would be either T15 staying on site long term (costing us 8 CONUS Ka and 18 CONUS RDBS transponders) or D9S moving to 110 and tipping towards PR followed by quickly signing a contract to build T17...

Quote Originally Posted by slice1900 View Post
    Yeah I guess there's no reason they shouldn't have T15 take over for everything but the six spot beam transponders, that would allow them all to be seen by PR so they don't need to take into account which ones PR can see vs which PIDs PR requires.

It is really interesting that they are clear that it will eventually move back, and claim to expect moving it back sometime in 2019. Given how long it takes from launch to fully operational for a new satellite, i.e. orbit raising to circular GEO orbit then drift to IOT position then 30 days of IOT then drift to permanent location, T16 probably has to launch no later than Labor Day next year. I googled for upcoming launches and it looks like they are pretty fleshed out on manifests for about six months, then it starts getting spotty. Though there's no way to tell for the launches that are firmly set whether the manifest is complete - i.e. the rocket could have a 10,000 kg capacity and be listed with a 3000 kg load, awaiting a launch partner or partners to be filled in later. They may need another additional STA after the second 180 day you mentioned, though it doesn't matter since the FCC would have no reason to deny such a STA no matter how long it took.

When D14/D15 launched they reached the test site several months in advance, to get last minute testing/calibration, packing in the launch vehicle, fueling, etc. So probably needs to reach wherever they are going by June 1st to make a late August launch. Since Directv isn't really doing any publicity for T16 unlike previous launches (perhaps because it doesn't give anything new like 'more HD' or '4K') I guess we won't get photos of it being loaded onto a cargo plane and flown to Guiana or possibly Kazakhstan. If the latter, hopefully Borat isn't responsible for launch operations

I would assume the backup plan in case of launch/satellite failure would be either T15 staying on site long term (costing us 8 CONUS Ka and 18 CONUS RDBS transponders) or D9S moving to 110 and tipping towards PR followed by quickly signing a contract to build T17...
    Talking about launch manifests, did you check SpaceX? Assuming T16 is mostly a duplicate of T15, at 6200kg that is definitely within the capabilities of the Falcon 9

I expect that they will be retiring the spot beam transponders, starting in the fourth quarter, or very early in the first quarter. There is also something going on with Dish giving up their lease on the spot beam transponders at 129W. Perhaps AT&T is selling or leasing their spectrum at 119 and 110 to Dish, and coming up with a plan to provide all service from 99,101, and 103.
    Tom Speer, N2HF, the curious otter. Part of the DataDigesters team.

Could they be moving it so they can make use of the Ku or RB transponders?
    DirecTV subscriber since 1999

W9ALN

Quote Originally Posted by alnielsen View Post
    Could they be moving it so they can make use of the Ku or RB transponders?
    It's for the Ku DBS band as stated in the narrative.

DIRECTV has no license to use RB at 101W.

Nor do I think it's even practical to have a satellite transmitting on a 17.3-17.7 GHz downlink co-located with other conventional Ku DBS satellites receiving on a 17.3-17.8 GHz uplink.

Obviously there will be spacepath interference from the RB satellite to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Speer View Post
    I expect that they will be retiring the spot beam transponders, starting in the fourth quarter, or very early in the first quarter. There is also something going on with Dish giving up their lease on the spot beam transponders at 129W. Perhaps AT&T is selling or leasing their spectrum at 119 and 110 to Dish, and coming up with a plan to provide all service from 99,101, and 103.
    Interesting speculation ...

And I guess could work if DISH replaced all the SD programming on LiL spotbeams from the satellites E10 and E14 there with HD to make up for the loss of HD LiLs from Ciel II at 129W.

(Assuming the spotbeam coverage of E10/14 fully duplicates Ceil II's of course).

And if true wouldn't that be a trip where the old obsolete round DISH 500 for 110/119W that DISH customers have almost all long replaced or abandoned for 1000.x models, would now be all that's necessary for reception on their WA (unless internationals are needed on Ku FSS at 118.7W).