Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: D15 Moving from 103W to 101W

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Speer View Post
    I expect that they will be retiring the spot beam transponders, starting in the fourth quarter, or very early in the first quarter. There is also something going on with Dish giving up their lease on the spot beam transponders at 129W. Perhaps AT&T is selling or leasing their spectrum at 119 and 110 to Dish, and coming up with a plan to provide all service from 99,101, and 103.
    I think Directv has always planned to go 99/101/103 only. They don't want to spend money to maintain satellites at 119, let alone for three puny transponders at 110. The question is whether they'll give aid and comfort to their competition, or want to screw them where they can (like Dish tried to do with their ridiculous plan to use reverse band from 103 which was obviously intended purely to screw Directv)

People have been getting letters talking about their locals on 119 going away next summer, but Dish's lease for 129 ends on January 1. Whatever plan they have, I don't see how it can involve Directv even if they were willing to help.

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    Talking about launch manifests, did you check SpaceX? Assuming T16 is mostly a duplicate of T15, at 6200kg that is definitely within the capabilities of the Falcon 9
    Didn't check them, but Directv has been pretty risk averse with satellite launches. I'd be really surprised if they went with the new guy on the block, especially when they are less than two years removed from their last explosive failure with only about a dozen successful launches since. They still have bugs to get out, and now are going to be doing launches using 'used' rockets they landed. They're the cheap option, not the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by HoTat2 View Post
    It's for the Ku DBS band as stated in the narrative.

DIRECTV has no license to use RB at 101W.

Nor do I think it's even practical to have a satellite transmitting on a 17.3-17.7 GHz downlink co-located with other conventional Ku DBS satellites receiving on a 17.3-17.8 GHz uplink.

Obviously there will be spacepath interference from the RB satellite to the others.

Why do you think that? It isn't like all the satellites are a few feet apart. They could put the reverse band band on at 100.65 and the Ku one at 101.35, that's a pretty wide swath between them. I don't think the 119 slot would have been licensed for reverse band if this was expected to be a problem. Obviously they'd have to design it not to interfere with the satellites already there, but that's not a problem if you hold the Ku license.

Not that it matters since there is no reverse band license available at 101, but it would matter if Dish decided to use it at 119.

Person Non Gratis
    Quote Originally Posted by slice1900 View Post
    Didn't check them, but Directv has been pretty risk averse with satellite launches. I'd be really surprised if they went with the new guy on the block, especially when they are less than two years removed from their last explosive failure with only about a dozen successful launches since. They still have bugs to get out, and now are going to be doing launches using 'used' rockets they landed. They're the cheap option, not the best option.
    DIRECTV had use Sea Launch in the past and they didn't have as good a record as SpaceX, Sea Launch - Wikipedia. They launched Spaceway 1 and DIRECTV 11 only a couple launched after a previous failure.

The thing is as of now, only 119 markets have MPEG4/SD duplicates of their SD only locals, and the internal hardware requirements lookup tool now shows all 119 markets as needing MPEG4 equipment for both SD and HD. Compared to the 101 markets where the internal lookup tool still says MPEG2 at 101 for SD and MPEG4 at 99 or 103 for HD, and markets like NYC, LA, Chicago, Philly, Boston, etc don't have MPEG4/SD duplicates of their SD only locals.

Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    DIRECTV had use Sea Launch in the past and they didn't have as good a record as SpaceX, Sea Launch - Wikipedia. They launched Spaceway 1 and DIRECTV 11 only a couple launched after a previous failure.
    Directv didn't launch Spaceway 1, it was launched by Hughes and later repurposed for Directv. I didn't know they used them for Directv 11. Was it due to scheduling with other launch providers (i.e. did they have no choice) or did they really choose them over the far better alternatives?

Person Non Gratis
    Quote Originally Posted by slice1900 View Post
    Directv didn't launch Spaceway 1, it was launched by Hughes and later repurposed for Directv. I didn't know they used them for Directv 11. Was it due to scheduling with other launch providers (i.e. did they have no choice) or did they really choose them over the far better alternatives?
    I thought that the Spaceway were modified from internet to DBS prior to launch.

Quote Originally Posted by kyl416 View Post
    The thing is as of now, only 119 markets have MPEG4/SD duplicates of their SD only locals, and the internal hardware requirements lookup tool now shows all 119 markets as needing MPEG4 equipment for both SD and HD. Compared to the 101 markets where the internal lookup tool still says MPEG2 at 101 for SD and MPEG4 at 99 or 103 for HD, and markets like NYC, LA, Chicago, Philly, Boston, etc don't have MPEG4/SD duplicates of their SD only locals.
    If they were going to axe locals in 119 markets they would have had to send letters out to those people long ago to have them all upgraded by the end of the year to meet Dish's deadline. We only started hearing about these letters in the past three months or so, and all of them have mentioned dates in 2019, ranging from April to August. Maybe those letters are all for 101 markets and people in 119 markets were getting letters and nobody ever posted about them on either dbstalk or satelliteguys...but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    I thought that the Spaceway were modified from internet to DBS prior to launch.
    There wasn't any "modification" possible. They use phased array antennas which are great if you want to create a ton of very small spot beams, which is exactly what you need for internet, but aren't too useful if you want CONUS sized or even Directv sized spot beams. The only advantage they have over regular spot beam satellites is that they can change the spot beams on the fly. The Spaceways still have all the processing capability needed for internet, they just didn't use it for Directv. But apparently it will get used by AT&T over Alaska...

I don't know the Hughes/Directv timeline, so I did a little googling. Hughes split off Directv on April 22, 2005, and Spaceway was launched on April 26, 2005. So technically I guess Directv did launch it, but they didn't exactly have the option of changing launch providers during those four days

They launched Spaceway 2 that November, and used Arianespace.

Person Non Gratis
    From Spaceway 1, 2, 3

Boeing modified the first two satellites for bent-pipe Ka-band communications for use in high definition television and disabled the regenerative on-board processing of the original system that was to be used for broadband satellite communications.