Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB - owned HR24

WTB - owned HR24

I'm looking to buy an owned HR24 to replace a HR20 that has been troublesome even after replacing failed capacitors in it. I wanted to start here to ask, as I'd rather not be going through a ton of RIDs from eBay or craigslist with the Access Card Department. I may consider an owned HR44 or HR54 if the price is right. Payment will be made via PayPal.

Edit:
    Throw a number at me (not too hard) - the one thing I miss about the Buy/Sell/Trade section of DBSTalk is I could get an idea of the going rate for these things. If you have an HR44 or HR54 it would be a plus if you have at least one client you can include, as I could retire the other HR20 in use. Once an agreement is reached on price, I'll ask for the RID.

Shipping will be to Frederick, MD, and UPS and FedEx Ground are usually cheaper for larger packages. Between the two I'd prefer UPS, as we've had a FedEx driver recently that has decided not to come up our driveway and leave packages at the bottom.
    Last edited by hitokage; 08-21-2018 at 01:14 PM. Reason: additional info

I realize you won't own it but it's been my experience that they'll send you countless refurb'd HR24's for no charge, no shipping and no commitment extension. That experience was under DTV and I realize things have been changing under ATT. Try customer retention and make notes of the answers to all those questions and who you spoke with. The last one I did was about 3 years ago in the beginning of the transition and it did get messed up in the system but I was able to get it straightened out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by hitokage View Post
    I'm looking to buy an owned HR24 to replace a HR20 that has been troublesome even after replacing failed capacitors in it. I wanted to start here to ask, as I'd rather not be going through a ton of RIDs from eBay or craigslist with the Access Card Department. I may consider an owned HR44 or HR54 if the price is right. Payment will be made via PayPal.

Edit:
    Throw a number at me (not too hard) - the one thing I miss about the Buy/Sell/Trade section of DBSTalk is I could get an idea of the going rate for these things. If you have an HR44 or HR54 it would be a plus if you have at least one client you can include, as I could retire the other HR20 in use. Once an agreement is reached on price, I'll ask for the RID.

Shipping will be to Frederick, MD, and UPS and FedEx Ground are usually cheaper for larger packages. Between the two I'd prefer UPS, as we've had a FedEx driver recently that has decided not to come up our driveway and leave packages at the bottom.
    DTV - March 1996 through March 2018

For the record I have one lead at the moment from UHDFAN0001 - I didn't think I get a response this quick.

If nothing works out I may go through DirecTV, but one reason for getting an owned box is it is more likely in good working condition and I would think better taken care of - especially by members here and from DBSTalk.
    Last edited by hitokage; 08-21-2018 at 02:42 PM.

Actually I'd say the opposite. All the refurbs I received over the years from DTV were all clean and functional, they are actually refurb'd. They don't send a new remote but you've got your old one and/or the old style can be had cheap (2 for less than $10). Plus you're going to have to buy an access card for your owned box (I think).

I see no benefit in owning an HR24 but that's just me. OK, you can legally open it and swap the hard drive but I used external drives for years on them. I think you'd be wasting your $$ getting a used HR24 to own it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hitokage View Post
    For the record I have one lead at the moment from UHDFAN0001 - I didn't think I get a response this quick.

If nothing works out I may go through DirecTV, but one reason for getting an owned box is it is more likely in good working condition and I would think better taken care of - especially by members here and from DBSTalk.

Quote Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
    Actually I'd say the opposite. All the refurbs I received over the years from DTV were all clean and I see no benefit in owning an HR24 but that's just me. OK, you can legally open it and swap the hard drive but I used externally drives for years on them. I think you'd be wasting your $$ getting a used HR24 to own it.
    What’s the replacement policy, owned vs. leased?

That is correct, any previously owned product replaced will become leased.
    Quote Originally Posted by UHDFAN0001 View Post
    I was told that both owned and leased will be replaced by a leased unit if it no longer works.

I thought the highlight of the protection plan was owned for owned replacements.
    Last edited by David Ortiz; 08-21-2018 at 06:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by David Ortiz View Post
    I thought the hightlight of the protection plan was owned for owned replacements.
    I have seen some posts where the replacement of an owned unit, sets an automatic flag as leased. Any box sets the automatic flag. But those posts have shown that if you diligently point out to flag the replacement as owned, some have success with that. I had that happen once, but it was about 2 years ago. It took a referral to access card dept to change the flag. But I don't know the route now.

Do leased units need a protection plan to be replaced, or are they replaced at no addl monthly cost?

In 22 years I never had the protection plan and had multiple units replaced. They were always replaced with refurbs but they were shipped to me for free and without delay and without contract impact after calling retention. That may all be different now with ATT at the helm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Do leased units need a protection plan to be replaced, or are they replaced at no addl monthly cost?