Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Update on dealing with AT&T

Quote Originally Posted by UHDFAN0001 View Post
    I sure don't miss those experiences...
    its the same with any provider

this assumes internet is an option

remember some people with sat tv only have sat tv as an option

Quote Originally Posted by Drew2k View Post
    Right, he's getting an HR54 and two C61K mini Genie's, so he'll keep one of his HR2x DVRs and replace his two receivers and other HR2x DVR with the two new clients and HR54 Genie.
    Well.... that didn't go as promised. Uugh.

Today was the Mover's Connection appointment for my brother, and I had his old 4 receivers up and running and all the tech had to do was swap the LNB on the roof dish, and swap out 3 old receivers for the HR54 and 2 4k Minis, and take back the 3 old ones.

Problem 1: He claimed his work order was for an install, not a swap/upgrade, and not a mover's connection.

Problem 2: He did the dish really fast, but then it took him 40 minutes to activate the Genie and the two 4K minis using his phone app. One kept giving problems and he didn't want to call, he just kept trying the same serial numbers over and over. Finally he went to the truck and got another new mini and the app took the serial number.

Problem 3: Immediately after that, the HR24 DVR that was intended to stay on the account and was just working and showing live TV, now displayed a message that the receiver needed to be refreshed using directv.com/refresh - it basically had no service. The tech said we had to either do that or call DIRECTV after he left.

Problem 4: He wouldn't take back any equipment because his order wasn't a swap.

Problem 5: Turns out my brother's account was consolidated to AT&T and the web site was showing the 4 original receivers plus 3 new ones but when he tried to choose the option to manage or refresh it would either go to a page that said you have no equipment or go to a troubleshooting page and immediately pop up an overlay saying "We're searching your account to find the best way to help" (or something like that) and it would stay there until the session timed out.

Problem 6: At this point, we found out that the Genie wouldn't record: It said "Some features for your account type aren't active, go to directv.com/business for more information." Business??? What?!!??

Problem 7: We called and it took 4 transfers to get someone to TRY to help. Mover's wouldn't do it, because the move was done (they said) and the tech left. Billing wouldn't do it because they could see programming and balances, but not equipment. Then tech started to help, but because my brother had a consolidated account, he had to go to "ACE"? Tech. We had to explain EACH time what was going on, and finally got the agent to deactivate the 3 old receivers we wanted to take off the account. He also fixed the recording issue on the Genie - apparently my brother lost DVR service during his non-move/non-swap Move. How??? Why??? Uugh.

Problem 8: And this is the one that REALLY ticks me off: The tech said that the HR24 DVR my brother wanted to keep could never be reactivated, as it's not compatible with an account having a Genie. I told him it's technically possible with an HR54 Genie, and after a lot of back and forth, I got him to admit that they are now prohibited from activating HR2x DVRs on accounts with Genies. The second the Genie was activated on my brother's "ACE"(?) consolidated account, any H2x or HR2x equipment was not longer authorized, even though it would remain on the account. (So logical!)

Problem 9: I said to the tech that this means we were lied to during the mover's connection call 2 weeks ago when that agent said we could keep the HR24 and will get a Genie and 2 minis, so how do you plan to resolve this? My brother had DVR service in 4 rooms at the old house, and now because of that lie, he's down to 3 rooms. This is when the tech said he'd love to help but maintenance just started on his system and he'd call me back around 5 PM ET to let me know if they could provide a free mini for this last TV location.

It's almost 5... can't wait to see what happens.

All I can say is this was SUCH a miserable experience, with each agent being hard to understand, each agent not having the tools at their disposal to help, with misinformation given up-front, and new policies applied now that really do NOTHING but disservice the customer.

What a horrible day dealing with this...

Uugh again.

Can’t wait to hear what happens next... and I wonder why they don’t want to support non genies with genies anymore... it sounds to me like the people at att moving the accounts don’t want spend the time making the system as versatile as the old system, from an account ability standpoint.

Hello Drew2k, What an ugly situation that turned out to be! It shows that a combined account makes any change to an account from difficult to almost impossible. It also shows that AT&T wants to be "THE BOSS OF YOU AND ME"! Sounds a lot like the old "MA BELL" idea that they control everything and you will "LIKE IT OR ELSE"!!!!!!!!!!

Update: It's over 24 hours later from the promised follow-up call, and my brother still hasn't received a call from DIRECTV. He'll have to call and go through multiple transfers and CSR roulette again to get them to figure it out.

I do have an used but very old unused C41 client, I wonder if I give it to him if DIRECTV will let him activate it so he doesn't have to spend more time trying to get a free client?

Or he has another option: activate the RVU DIRECTV app on his Samsung 4k TV as a client, and just call to see if they'll activate that. (The tech for the "move" yesterday says RVU was going away, so no idea if an agent would do this or not. See the RVU thread in the DIRECTV resources forum for more on that.)

Either way, my brother will need to spend more of his time trying to resolve an issue not of his doing just to get back to a 4-room DIRECTV setup.

If he gets an overseas AT&T rep when he calls, they won’t even know what a RVU is. That was my experience.

I was going to write a long drawn out reply similar to what Drew2K posted but in the end after much ado, I cancelled DirecTv and switched to Dish. After 24 years they dumped my service that I had had for 8 years and would no re-instate it.

Quote Originally Posted by UHDFAN0001 View Post
    Cancelling anything should not be painful...
    Please tell SiriusXM that. Got a new truck last summer which had 6 month of SiriusXM. So I called them up to remove service from my old truck. I told the CSR up front that I didn't need another radio and if pestered about it, I would cancel another vehicle. Things went well with him, but them I had to be transferred to an agent that could process my request. WTH? No reason the first person I talked to couldn't do that. So I ended up with a new CSR and I repeated my statement about not needing a new radio.

Well I guess they couldn't help themselves because they started in on I can get a free radio for my home, office etc. I politely stated that I was fine, but he was back on it two minutes later. At that point I told him I also wanted to cancel a radio in my daughter's car (she listens to Spotify so she wouldn't miss it). You could hear the annoyance in his voice and said he had to transfer me to another department.

Got transferred to what seemed like a retention department where the new CSR seemed much more on the ball. She asked me why I was cancelling and I told her I simply needed to cancel one radio for 6 months until my complementary subscription ran out and I would then add my new truck to my account. But that I warned them that I didn't need another radio and to please not ask. So when he asked a second time, I decided they needed punished so I was cancelling a second radio. Now she was annoyed that he did that and asked me if there was anything she could do to keep that radio on. I told her sorry no because it has always been such a hassle to cancel and I just needed to push back on them some. She apologized and promptly cancelled the two radios and thanked me for being a customer.

I just hate calling them. DirecTV is so much better in comparison.