Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does this not surprise me? AT&T/DirecTV tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    I wonder how things would be now if AT&T hadn’t spent tons of money on U-Verse, which was a poor solution IMHO, and had just committed to FTTH? They would be able to offer an internet solution that cable can’t match and a TV solution that could provide more channels then DBS can. With their DIRECTV Now solution they’re counting on the cable company providing enough bandwidth without caps. And since the FCC killed net neutrality what would stop a Comcast from causing a constraint at a peering point which would cause buffering issues for DIRECTV? So we’re going from a closed DBS system where DIRECTV owned the entire path to a Wild West where anything could happen.
    Well supposedly 5G is suppose to solve all that.

Person Non Gratis
    5G is going to supply gig speeds to everyone’s home? Are they planning to put a cell on every block or two?

Some of the new spectrum being opened up for 5G is very high frequency (28 GHz range) which is ideal for small cells with tiny low power antennas. They'd be able to stick them on top of telephone poles, streetlights, etc. and cover a few blocks radius. They still need to get fiber out to those sites, but that's what cable companies have had to do - but without the most expensive part of running wire to each house.

I doubt we see AT&T & Verizon making big investments for this sort of thing in areas that already have good service, at least not at first - the only way they'd be able to compete against incumbents like Comcast is price. Better to target the areas with crappy service so they can sign up a lot of people to make it worth it.

My neighborhood has all underground lines. Best ATT can do today is 25MBPS on copper. Comcast is only choice for high speed. No poles so I don't expect 5G anytime soon. Or soon x2.

Person Non Gratis
    Our development is underground utilities. We also live in a dark skies development which means very few streetlights so it will be interesting to see what AT&T would do here.

Our development utilities are underground as well. All the townhomes are wired for both Verizon (FiOS) and Altice (Optimum). FiOS is fiber to the home, Optimum is fiber to the distribution boxes, then copper to the home. I use Optimum and have only experienced a single one-hour outage since we bought the place in 2015. Knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Leon View Post
    My personal opinion after reading that link - DirecTV is losing a lot of customers regardless, people cutting the cord and going to streaming. But since the AT&T takeover the losses have grown significantly. Why? I look at myself, DirecTV has always been somewhat of a premier provider, catering to a lot of unique customers (along with the masses). AT&T isn't doing that, isn't providing the support that the old DirecTV did, and is making the overall experience for their customers much less satisfying. People who might have been on the threshold for along time are now making the decision to bail. I'm in that position - many of the things that held me to DirecTV are changing, it has become far too expensive for what I feel I'm getting in return, and the very thin thread of specialized support and care that used to be there is gone. It won't take much more change in that direction for them to push me over the edge.
    I actually felt that way in 2014, and when Optimum rolled-out their "cloud DVR" offering, I decided to leave D* and give that a try. I'm still with Optimum, but back to using TiVo for the past 2+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    Our development is underground utilities. We also live in a dark skies development which means very few streetlights so it will be interesting to see what AT&T would do here.
    Like they do with everything, they are going to concentrate on the more profitable areas first, which means 1) people who have money to spend 2) there isn't already an incumbent they can only move people off by offering a cheaper price and 3) the install will be easy - especially at first while they are still learning what works. Places with underground utilities fail #3, unless it is easy to run fiber to the streetlights (i.e. the city had the foresight to run conduit)

But if you don't even have the streetlights, I wouldn't hold my breath to see fixed wireless 5G offerings. Your cell towers will get 5G at some point, but they aren't going to do fixed wireless off the cell towers in most cases.

With 5G, I’m hoping for one bill and access point to the internet both on my cell phone and at home, so we don’t have to pay “twice” for internet access. Right now we’re all paying for the internet once on our cell phones and once at our homes. That would really get the cable ISP’s going.

I’m not holding my breath, but one can only hope.

Someday, maybe. But I think you're on the right track not holding your breath.