Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does this not surprise me? AT&T/DirecTV tanking.

Why does this not surprise me? AT&T/DirecTV tanking.

Hello Phil T,
    Just part and parcel of AT&T's master plan! They know that they will be hit by BIG FINANCE for losing customers at AT&T/DirecTV but they need to slim down to around 5 million by 2021. They hope that the other areas of AT&T will amerolate some or all of the losses that AT&T/DirecTV will bring.

My personal opinion after reading that link - DirecTV is losing a lot of customers regardless, people cutting the cord and going to streaming. But since the AT&T takeover the losses have grown significantly. Why? I look at myself, DirecTV has always been somewhat of a premier provider, catering to a lot of unique customers (along with the masses). AT&T isn't doing that, isn't providing the support that the old DirecTV did, and is making the overall experience for their customers much less satisfying. People who might have been on the threshold for along time are now making the decision to bail. I'm in that position - many of the things that held me to DirecTV are changing, it has become far too expensive for what I feel I'm getting in return, and the very thin thread of specialized support and care that used to be there is gone. It won't take much more change in that direction for them to push me over the edge.

Carl, I agree with your opinion/observation.

When Dish Network and DirecTV first came along, they were unique, they cost less then cable and the technology was better. It was fun to install your own system and watch what would/could change with software downloads. There were Charlie Chats where the CFO would tell you what was going on with the company. You felt good about your provider and it was fun to follow the different forms to see or speculate what was coming next.

I remember in 1997 or 1998 satellite didn’t offer locals but cable did. You had to switch to OTA to see local or network programming. On the day of one of the Bronco Superbowls (don’t remember which one) I called Dish Network to see if there was a chance I could get NY or LA locals. The lady immediately turned both on for me and I had them for several years. That was unique to watch prime time programming at different times. At one time I had 4 different dishes on the house. 148 for west coast locals 110/119, 61.5 for east coast and 77 so I could watch Canadian programming in the clear on a Dish 3000 receiver.

Then during 1999 I think, there was this thing that came along called a Dishplayer. All it could do was pause live tv and play games (you don’t know Jack) and came with a wireless keypad. I wanted one so bad I kept calling my local Dish retailer to see when they would get them. He actually referred me to another retailer who had one and I think I was one of the first to own one. A few months later a software download made it a DVR. Wow, so long VHS!

I went out a few years later and spent $700.00 for a HD Dish receiver with an optional module to watch OTA HD (8SVDB or something like that).

A few years later DirecTV was giving away TiVO’s while Charlie was demanding big bucks to upgrade (sorry Charlie) and I made the switch. Those TiVo’s were cool and DirecTV even gave me a Samsung HD receiver. Then wow, there was a HDTivo! That thing was great too!

Then DirecTV wanted to have their own in house DVR and software and the HR series was born. I kept checking with Circuit City to see when they would come in and snagged one. But wow were those things buggy.

But then there was this thing called Cutting Edge and those guys worked with DirecTV to make things better. I got to test some receivers, OTA tuners, LNB’s and all kinds of fun stuff.

But just like when Charlie got greedy, AT&T came along and spoiled a good thing. The CE’rs still tried and did the best they could but AT&T didn’t care, didn’t listen and customer service tanked.

So here I am back with cable, and TiVo which has changed also, but the technology edge and fun factor that Satellite had is gone.

All of these companies have grown big and greedy. The newcomers (streaming video) are shaking things up and people are tired of paying big bucks for something that used to be affordable.

I know I am old, but my next move may be back to an OTA antenna and rotor. Somehow life was simpler then and I always enjoyed spinning it around to see if I could pull in a new station or two. Those three channels had a lot of good shows on them, but sometimes I liked something different.
    Last edited by Phil T; 10-28-2018 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Leon View Post
    My personal opinion after reading that link - DirecTV is losing a lot of customers regardless, people cutting the cord and going to streaming. But since the AT&T takeover the losses have grown significantly. Why? I look at myself, DirecTV has always been somewhat of a premier provider, catering to a lot of unique customers (along with the masses). AT&T isn't doing that, isn't providing the support that the old DirecTV did, and is making the overall experience for their customers much less satisfying. People who might have been on the threshold for along time are now making the decision to bail. I'm in that position - many of the things that held me to DirecTV are changing, it has become far too expensive for what I feel I'm getting in return, and the very thin thread of specialized support and care that used to be there is gone. It won't take much more change in that direction for them to push me over the edge.

That's silly, AT&T's takeover has occurred as cord cutting has picked up pace. Look at Dish's satellite subscriber losses over the past few years. Did AT&T buying Directv cause people to quit Dish as well?

Cable companies are losing TV subscribers as well, just not in as large of numbers because if you have them for internet at a decent speed then you can usually get TV for an extra $20/month for an 'expanded basic' type package. Pretty hard to save money with cord cutting when cable TV is that cheap, so fewer people cut the cable cord than the satellite cord.

Since the takeover AT&T has demonstrated not only can they turn gold into lead they can also screw up the Lord's Prayer during a Sunday Sermon. Service reliability has diminished and customer service and support is a mere shadow of what it once was.
    DIRECTV customer since 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by slice1900 View Post
    That's silly, AT&T's takeover has occurred as cord cutting has picked up pace. Look at Dish's satellite subscriber losses over the past few years. Did AT&T buying Directv cause people to quit Dish as well?

Cable companies are losing TV subscribers as well, just not in as large of numbers because if you have them for internet at a decent speed then you can usually get TV for an extra $20/month for an 'expanded basic' type package. Pretty hard to save money with cord cutting when cable TV is that cheap, so fewer people cut the cable cord than the satellite cord.
    I think a lot of people have a lot shorter fuse with DIRECTV now that att owns them than they did before just because it’s att. DIRECTV they’d complain but given them more of a chance, att, not so much...

Quote Originally Posted by slice1900 View Post

The problem is AT&T is just behind the times. In my area Comcrap can deliver much faster speeds than AT&T for roughly the same price. In addition, tacked onto the internet plan you get a mini TV package which includes locals, Starz. Satellite seems to be losing subscribers at a faster rate than cable. But if Comcrap is including the package I just mentioned into their cable counts then that can skew the loss quite a bit?

It is the little things that AT&T fails to do for the customers that I think is affecting the bottom line. One reason is people are sick of the rain fade (IMO). One thing that AT&T could do is offer DTV Now to DTV Subs who use a streaming device? That could counter the rain fade. Or just make a frigging app for the streaming devices. But that means AT&T would have to lose out on equipment fees. That's what I mean by the little things.

Now having said all that, over the past 4 quarters (Last half of '17 and first half of '18) DTV has lost nearly 1.3 million subs but gained 1.8 million for DTV Now. Although for the 3rd qtr DTV Now growth rate seemed to have slowed.

Edgecutter
    It’s getting to the point where you can’t afford Satellite and cable.
    Prices go up $5 or more every year. Then they charge $10 for dvr $10 for HD which should be free. $7 for each additional receiver. When I first got Directv it was around $29 and month and that price didn’t change for years. Now it’s up to more than double that for a basic package. Now you pay about $40 just for fees on top of the package. That’s why people are dropping it.

Person Non Gratis
    I wonder how things would be now if AT&T hadn’t spent tons of money on U-Verse, which was a poor solution IMHO, and had just committed to FTTH? They would be able to offer an internet solution that cable can’t match and a TV solution that could provide more channels then DBS can. With their DIRECTV Now solution they’re counting on the cable company providing enough bandwidth without caps. And since the FCC killed net neutrality what would stop a Comcast from causing a constraint at a peering point which would cause buffering issues for DIRECTV? So we’re going from a closed DBS system where DIRECTV owned the entire path to a Wild West where anything could happen.