Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does this not surprise me? AT&T/DirecTV tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by UHDFAN0001 View Post
    Part of the price people pay for living far outside metro areas is reduced access to some services. Some day that may be overcome...but choices (as in where to live) have consequences, and sometimes they're not favorable ones. There are pros and cons no matter where one lives.
    DISH managed to build quite a business catering to these customers while DirecTV targeted suburbia. There will be enough rural customers to keep sat going well into the future.

I hear all this talk about 5G but I can’t get more then one bar of 4G LTE. Yet I drive 3 miles in any direction and get full bars and cable like data speeds. Doesn’t matter which carrier, so I am stuck using a microcell and cable internet.

Comcast/TiVo has worked well. Don’t think I have had over 10 minutes of down time in the last year. They seem to be keeping their cable lines in good shape around here. I talked to a couple installers this fall, who were working on a distribution box across the street. They said they had one complaint and were replacing an amplifier. They said we would have fiber to the home in our neighborhood within 5 years.

Centurylink seems to be doing nothing. Still the old copper and bonded pair to get 40 MBS, and everyone I talk to has switched to Comcast.

I have been able to keep my internet/TV bills less then I was paying for DirecTV only. For the last few days we have had snow and single digit temperatures. So glad I don’t have to go out and brush off the dish!

At least in my neighborhood Comcast/Xfinity pretty much has a lock on the market. 5G would be welcome but won’t help me unless they get a tower closer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by slice1900 View Post
    5G is NOT "short range". 5G using high frequencies is short range, but using the same frequencies as LTE does gives you the same range that LTE does. They aren't going to use those high frequencies in rural areas because they don't have the density that makes that necessary.
    While 5G can run at lower frequencies (same as LTE for example) it will NOT give you speeds higher than 4G at those frequencies. So yes, technically 5G can run at almost any frequency, the lower the frequency the less the bandwidth, and thus the lower the speed. So you will not see any improved bandwidth or throughput with "long distance" (i.e., lower frequency) 5G.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    I
    At least in my neighborhood Comcast/Xfinity pretty much has a lock on the market. 5G would be welcome but won’t help me unless they get a tower closer to me.
    Same here. But I do have very fast and stable internet, much better than those on the other side of the interstate who have Suddenlink. I am in a small (6,000 customer system) than was its own small cableco when we moved into the area. In fact my street wasn't even built out yet when we moved it. So when were on our honeymoon, my dad had DirecTV and USSB installed so we would have TV when we got back.

That independent cablco was at some point acquired by Adelphia who did a full system rebuild with fiber to the node (about 125-150 customers per node). Once they got it dial in, it rocked. Then Adelphia filed for bankruptcy and what was built as a system was split up between Comcast and TW with TW getting the headend. Overnight it sucked. So bad that I even went back to DSL. But then Comcast got a fiber link from our system to their main headend and it has been rock solid since.

Problem for TV is they don't carry all the channels DirecTV does. So that is a non-starter for me. Streaming will be fine for me, but I don't like the current model of using Apple TV for NF and Hulu and a Firestick for Amazon Prime. Just give me one integrated solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Herdfan View Post
    Streaming will be fine for me, but I don't like the current model of using Apple TV for NF and Hulu and a Firestick for Amazon Prime. Just give me one integrated solution.
    If you watch original Hulu content, you won’t get 5.1 audio from an Apple TV, but you will from the newest Fire TV devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Herdfan View Post

Problem for TV is they don't carry all the channels DirecTV does. So that is a non-starter for me.
    Same here, most of my viewing is from the DirecTV regional sports packages. I watch many of the regional produced shows. Until I can get that streaming I will have to stick with satellite.

My TiVo Bolt VOX has Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, You Tube and a bunch of others. I rarely turn my Apple TV on anymore. TiVo also has HBO GO but Comcast will not authorize it on TiVo. They will on Apple TV though.

My fear is Comcast and TiVO are fighting over patents and cable card users are beginning to lose functionality on TiVo. Of course Comcast wants everyone on X1 and I won’t go there. My Bolt has OTA functionality so that is the way I will go when cost/value does not make sense anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by loudo View Post
    Same here, most of my viewing is from the DirecTV regional sports packages. I watch many of the regional produced shows. Until I can get that streaming I will have to stick with satellite.
    Same here as well. I do remember one of the streaming services did offer a sports package involving all of the RSN's. I just can't remember which one or if they still do?

AT&T flipped the switch on 5G here in OKC, but, it's only in places like the Bricktown entertainment district adjacent to downtown. It's also quite expensive, requires a ~$500 modem with small data caps (I've seen $70/mo for 15GB). So 5G doesn't really mean anything here just yet. Not exactly suited for streaming if one happened to live in a 5G area.

I may upgrade to gigabit internet service from 150Mbps with Cox, but it would just be for bragging rights, the 1TB cap stays the same. I haven't switched to pure streaming yet, looks like I hover around 300GB/mo now, wonder if that's adequate. It's *only* $49.99/mo more for unlimited internet with Cox cable.
    (I have a spare SB8200 gigabit modem to use but will have to send it back to Arris as it won't stay connected while the SB6183 is rock solid)

AT&T fiber offers no caps but can't get it on my street. It's available to the houses across my back fence. Sigh. Though one hears horror stories about AT&T's lack of performance and Customer Service, may be just as well I can't get it.
    DTV Since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    My TiVo Bolt VOX has Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, You Tube and a bunch of others. I rarely turn my Apple TV on anymore. TiVo also has HBO GO but Comcast will not authorize it on TiVo. They will on Apple TV though.

My fear is Comcast and TiVO are fighting over patents and cable card users are beginning to lose functionality on TiVo. Of course Comcast wants everyone on X1 and I won’t go there. My Bolt has OTA functionality so that is the way I will go when cost/value does not make sense anymore.
    Let me see if I can understand this.
    I have Comcast broadband, not Comcast TV.

If I buy a Tivo, Comcast will not activate HBOGO on Tivo?
    They are blocking the web address when I launch the Tivo screen to subscribe to HBOGO?