Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does this not surprise me? AT&T/DirecTV tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Leon View Post
    While 5G can run at lower frequencies (same as LTE for example) it will NOT give you speeds higher than 4G at those frequencies. So yes, technically 5G can run at almost any frequency, the lower the frequency the less the bandwidth, and thus the lower the speed. So you will not see any improved bandwidth or throughput with "long distance" (i.e., lower frequency) 5G.

That's true, but LTE supports up to 2 Gbps already on the latest category upgrade. The base speed for a single stream single channel is 150 Mbps - the same as 5G - but as you are able to grab multiple/wider channels and use multiple antennas you can go faster. In rural areas where there are relatively few users per tower some very high speeds will be possible with low frequency 5G. Obviously in urban areas you need smaller cells due to the much higher population density to get the same speeds, this is where the high frequencies will be used.

Phil stated Comcast won't authorize Tivo. I don't understand that.

Alternatively, it may be that Tivo doesn't have authorization to share Comcast user credentials. That's a different story. But I am not clear what the block is.

Quote Originally Posted by NR4P View Post
    Let me see if I can understand this.
    I have Comcast broadband, not Comcast TV.

If I buy a Tivo, Comcast will not activate HBOGO on Tivo?
    They are blocking the web address when I launch the Tivo screen to subscribe to HBOGO?
    I have Comcast internet only -and IN my Area COMCAST -Won't Support TIVO or let you activate for their TV service

Quote Originally Posted by UHDFAN0001 View Post
    Interesting that it will work with the entire line of Amazon FireTV devices, ROKU, and AppleTV....but not Tivo? Quite strange, and seems to be a Tivo issue somehow if it is true.
    I could totally believe a CABLE company that doesn't want Tivo to be attractive for customers since it reduces their revenue (no overpriced equipment rentals if you only need a single card cable) would hamstring the ability to use fully utilize Tivo. Customers with Apple TV etc. don't hurt revenue from Comcast cable customers like Tivo does.

When I tried to activate the HBO GO App on TiVO, Xfinity is listed but says “device not supported”. “Sorry your TV provider doeen’t Support HBO GO on this device”. I guess this tells me it would work with the dozens of providers listed, including DirecTV, but Comcast/Xfinity is in a ****ing match with TiVo.

Given that scenario...Tivo loses (there are alternatives).
    Name one alternative to Tivo. Something that accepts a cable card and that doesn't have an interface which makes you long for how 'good' the UI was on the typical cable TV box from 2005. There are no alternatives.

Edgecutter
    Quote Originally Posted by slice1900 View Post
    Name one alternative to Tivo. Something that accepts a cable card and that doesn't have an interface which makes you long for how 'good' the UI was on the typical cable TV box from 2005. There are no alternatives.
    HDHomeRun - Watch TV anywhere in your home ?

I don’t really see any comments from people using a cloud DVR about how well it works. My wife refuses to use on demand or some of the networks apps to watch shows because they do not allow you to skip commercials. My limited experience with DirecTV Now told me it was not near as easy to use as my DVR’s.

I think the whole OTT experience is driven by broadcasters who want to control your viewing experience and not allow commercial skipping. I could be wrong but I just don’t see many comments from people talking about how well they work. Most comments are just about cost savings.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    I don’t really see any comments from people using a cloud DVR about how well it works. My wife refuses to use on demand or some of the networks apps to watch shows because they do not allow you to skip commercials. My limited experience with DirecTV Now told me it was not near as easy to use as my DVR’s.
    I was an early adopter. I jumped on the cloud DVR bandwagon about 4 years ago when Cablevision won the court case that allowed them to roll it out. It worked "OK", except the trickplay was hit and miss, mainly due to internet latency, not a problem that can be easily overcome unless the client can buffer 5 or 10 minutes ahead and trickplay can be executed locally. Four years later, my son is using Cablevision's latest iteration of cloud DVR, and it's almost exactly the same as it was in 2014.

I'm back with TiVo and there's no comparison. I've used them all. Original TiVo, Dish DVR, DirecTivo, DirecTV HRs and cloud DVR. TiVo's still the best DVR experience there is, IMHO. Especially for prime time programs where commercials can be skipped with a single click, or automatically via IFTTT.

No problem streaming HBO GO via TiVo, either, BTW. Must be a Comcast limitation.
    Last edited by Steve; 01-04-2019 at 04:44 PM.

Cloud DVR. A cable card requirement is old school.

Tivo will likely be obsolete in the near future. We'll learn more details about other options next week at CES, but several streaming services already offer cloud DVR.

I thought you had a real suggestion, not pushing your belief that streaming is the best solution for everyone and cable/satellite should go away tomorrow because you don't want it.

I NEVER want cloud DVR - I don't want someone else to control my recordings, when they expire, whether I can skip commercials, etc. You seem to think that companies will never take advantage of that kind of control, but time and again companies have shown they will push ads in your face every chance they get. They haven't taken advantage of this with cloud DVR because they need for it to take over first so they can shut down "obsolete" stuff like cable cards with your blessing. Then when you are forced to watch ads you'll act all surprised I guess.