Thread: Peaking dish for 119

Peaking dish for 119

I was having trouble yesterday peaking a dish for spanish programming, the AIM would pass on the 99, 101, and 103, but the 119 kept failing. I tried 3 different swm 5 lnb's including a reverse band 5 and 119 would not pass. Is this an issue on DirecTV's end or did I miss something? I've done these many times in the last 2 1/2 years I've been doing this. Dish was pointed at the 192 range with 10 degree leeway.

Did lone of sight look clear? Did you try a different cable?

Hello albertsmith, Did you try a different dish? Sometimes they can be a problem. An off the wall suggestion. Install an LNB-3 and get it aligned as perfect as possible. Then use an LNB-5 and check the signal strength. If things aren't passing on 119 then do a realignment Even though you call 119 "Spanish" it also has music and some additional channels. I had a discussion with a technician about getting the 5 LNB and he insisted that was only for Spanish programming. Where I live the 5 LNB was required when my first technician did install the Slimline KA/KU Satellite Dish. It would make installations easier if everything came through the LNB-3. I have installed my own second dish with alignment and put in both Reverse band LNB-3's and LNB-5's when they became available.

That was the thing that was throwing me off. Anything on a SWM 3 would pass, the 119 would not. It was very cloudy at the time. The weird thing is that when I try to lock on to 119 with the AIM, it would go in and out of lock on the signal. Granted, there is a tree to my right, but looking through my inclinometer, it would have been at 200, ten degrees past the 192 I need in my area (Louisiana). Does the swm 5 needed more width of clearance to catch the 119? I've installed these many times and usually if the swm 3 passes, the swm 5 should. I already got a NC truck roll (return) the very next day but it was rescheduled, but I'm having a feeling I'm going to have to relocate the dish or something.

I'll try a another dish though, I've had that happen once before, but on a swm 3 install.

According to my inclinometer, it should have worked, at least for a swm 3. Does a swm 5 require a broader range of degree? It's 192 azimuth, 54 elevation with 10 degree leeway, but it was very cloudy at the time.

Was the tilt set right for your area?
    Tom Speer, N2HF, the curious otter. Part of the DataDigesters team.

tilt was correct, but I found out that though the swm 3 satellites work on 192, I needed to see 215 for 119 and come to find out, 215 was hitting a tree, so i wound up relocating the dish to clear the 215 azimuth that I needed to catch the spanish channels. Thanks for all the help!