Thread: Chronology of firmware updates

Chronology of firmware updates

Can someone give me the order of updates? - newest back to current would be sufficient. I realize current, right now is one of two, so the oldest of the two would be what I'm looking for. The reason I'm asking is because I just downloaded "new software" and got 1104 again. Is that older or newer than 114B?

Quote Originally Posted by txakura View Post
    Can someone give me the order of updates? - newest back to current would be sufficient. I realize current, right now is one of two, so the oldest of the two would be what I'm looking for. The reason I'm asking is because I just downloaded "new software" and got 1104 again. Is that older or newer than 114B?
    Older

The software version numbering is in hexidecimal (base 16 uses numbers 0-9,A,B,C,D,E,F).

So version 1149 would roll to 114A, 114B, 114C, 114D, 114E, 114F, 1150, 1151, etc.

In general, you just stay with whatever is the larger number as being the newer one. However, "in general" doesn't mean always. DirecTV rolls out new software on a varying schedule for a variety of reasons. If you never pull CE software, or do a manual software download for any reason, and always wait for the push to your unit, you should always see the newer (pushed) version being a higher number than the older (what was already on your receiver) version.

But, if you pull software for any reason, then things might get out of order. Because there are different versions in the software stream at different times for different reasons.

Normally, if your receiver gets an older version than what is already installed, it won't install it. But that can be overridden in the download instructions that are included with a push.

I hope this has been sufficiently vague, with enough "normally", "generally", "sometimes", etc., statements that it makes almost no sense at all (sometimes )

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Leon View Post
    But, if you pull software for any reason, then things might get out of order. Because there are different versions in the software stream at different times for different reasons. )
    That was what prompted my question. I've seen all sorts of version numbers in what I had always assumed was a straight numbering system. Having written software for over 30 years, I was under the impression, you always provided the latest stable version (with the highest number) to the user. Not so sure with DTV.

I think they roll out software to different groups of users (typically geographically) in increments, so if there are problems or issues they don't swamp their call centers. If you happen to pull software while version x or y is in the stream, that is what you will probably get. May not be intended for your market/region/whatever though.

Quote Originally Posted by txakura View Post
    That was what prompted my question. I've seen all sorts of version numbers in what I had always assumed was a straight numbering system. Having written software for over 30 years, I was under the impression, you always provided the latest stable version (with the highest number) to the user. Not so sure with DTV.
    Sure, that's how you do it. But how do you know which is the latest stable version? You've done your internal testing and think it is stable, but you know very well how users will find many issues your QA has missed so I'm sure there have been cases where you've released a stable version, then pulled it after you became aware it wasn't stable after all.

This is why a "logarithmic release" is popular with some, and appears to be what Directv does. Let's say you have a million users, you first release to a thousand, a few days later with no significant issues release to 10,000, a few days later 100,000, then the full million. You can vary a lot of stuff like whether the groups are always the same or not, the size of the multiplier, the time period between waves and so forth.

What you will get if you download during "working hours", 7am to 11pm EST (to allow for Hawaiian installers), will be the "National Release" for your specific receiver model. Currently, some models are getting 0x1104, and some models are getting the newer 0x114B. Any pushes of newer software to update specific customers will usually occur between 3am and 7am Eastern time. From the mix of software on different models, they are obviously in the middle of a rollout. Usually, by the time a version has made it to the daytime "National Release" status, it has been pushed to all receivers of that model in the overnight updates.

The current software streaming from the satellites is often viewable from the RedH firmware monitor site. But it's monitoring stations have been up and down a lot lately. It is current, as I write this.
    Tom Speer, N2HF, the curious otter. Part of the DataDigesters team.

A note of caution: The software in the stream between 3am and 7am Eastern time, may not be new NR software being rolled out. It can be very special versions pushed to ATT testers before it gets to CE, or other special versions, and could be very buggy. All that can be said, is that it is software being targeted to specific customer receivers. I would never pull whatever is in the stream during that time frame, unless I was well aware of the CE history, or user comments about, that specific version.

As an update to my post from 4 days ago, all Genies (except any zombie HR34s) are on version 114B as the National release.
    Tom Speer, N2HF, the curious otter. Part of the DataDigesters team.