Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: what happens to sd after april?

The orbital slot consolidation is complete - the end state listed in what was posted for that was to do all new installs with SL3RB and they're already there (though it sounds like they still haven't quite got the music channels on 99cr working for everyone for whatever reason)

The actual shutting down of 110/119/95 wasn't part of the orbital slot consolidation project, it merely had that project as one of its preconditions. The other precondition being that no customers are still receiving any content from those slots. That's done for 110 already as you note, and assuming shutting all the spot beams on 101 & 119 is still scheduled for this year then they can move the six CONUS transponders on 119 to six new CONUS transponders on 101 and will be able to shut down 119.

I'm still curious what caused them to push things back a year for dropping nationals, since the document I had from last July said the end of 2019. I just looked back at it to see if it was possible I misinterpreted the language, but it clearly states: "Still targeting end of 2019 for full migration to HD-capable equipment". Of course it also states: "<10% migrated since SD to HD Migration Project kicked off in April 2016" but that's not surprising since they had only recently started sending out the letters at the time this was written. Maybe while contacting by DMA worked OK for those who have locals, maybe they missed customers on DNS like RV/boat accounts and decided they weren't leaving them enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by slice1900 View Post
    The orbital slot consolidation is complete - the end state listed in what was posted for that was to do all new installs with SL3RB and they're already there (though it sounds like they still haven't quite got the music channels on 99cr working for everyone for whatever reason)

The actual shutting down of 110/119/95 wasn't part of the orbital slot consolidation project, it merely had that project as one of its preconditions. The other precondition being that no customers are still receiving any content from those slots. That's done for 110 already as you note, and assuming shutting all the spot beams on 101 & 119 is still scheduled for this year then they can move the six CONUS transponders on 119 to six new CONUS transponders on 101 and will be able to shut down 119.

I'm still curious what caused them to push things back a year for dropping nationals, since the document I had from last July said the end of 2019. I just looked back at it to see if it was possible I misinterpreted the language, but it clearly states: "Still targeting end of 2019 for full migration to HD-capable equipment". Of course it also states: "<10% migrated since SD to HD Migration Project kicked off in April 2016" but that's not surprising since they had only recently started sending out the letters at the time this was written. Maybe while contacting by DMA worked OK for those who have locals, maybe they missed customers on DNS like RV/boat accounts and decided they weren't leaving them enough time.
    Oh ... well as the name "Orbital Slot Consolidation Project" seem to imply (to me anyway). No longer any subscriber receiving programming from 95 or 119w was actually part of the project

Perhaps not though ...

Quote Originally Posted by HoTat2 View Post
    Oh ... well as the name "Orbital Slot Consolidation Project" seem to imply (to me anyway). No longer any subscriber receiving programming from 95 or 119w was actually part of the project

Perhaps not though ...

Here's what was posted by Swamptech on satelliteguys. There aren't any further steps listed beyond the point where all new installs use SL3RB, and since the table is focused on ODUs it seems that's the goal of this particular project. Being able to actually retire 110/119/95 is a much bigger deal with a lot more going on than is represented here.

orbital_slot_consolidation.jpg
    Last edited by slice1900; 04-08-2019 at 08:14 AM.

Weird I edited it and it created a duplicate copy of the post. If someone can remove the first one and this post please since it doesn't look like I can delete posts here

Weird I edited it and it created a duplicate copy of the post. If someone can remove the first one and this post please since it doesn't look like I can delete posts here
    slice1900,

Removed your first post as you requested, but your second post appears to have been linked that first attachment. That linkage may have been your problem deleting that first post.

If you would please, corrected post #103 with a valid attachment or link.

Sorry to have caused you problems.
    Gary
    Last edited by Gary Toma; 04-11-2019 at 02:04 AM.

Here's what was posted by Swamptech on satelliteguys. There aren't any further steps listed beyond the point where all new installs use SL3RB, and since the table is focused on ODUs it seems that's the goal of this particular project. Being able to actually retire 110/119/95 is a much bigger deal with a lot more going on than is represented here.

That’s something they are pushing to installers. Not sure you can really pull all the info and scope of a particular project like this from a sheet explains exactly how it affects installers only.

Someone on satelliteguys posted they just received a notice they would lose their locals on 2/18/20, which isn't the date he was originally given. So looks like it wasn't just the nationals that have been pushed back. This probably extends the retirement date for the 119 satellite, since without dropping spotbeams on 101 they won't have anywhere to put the MPEG2 SD nationals currently on 119.

Quote Originally Posted by RJDB View Post
    The transition may be much longer than anyone has speculated.

I assume King has received official information on the transition timing, which indicates Q1/Q2 2021 before Ku HD happens.

https://kingconnect.com/wp-content/u...NG_03.2019.pdf
    And an additional email from King posted on an RV forum to an RV owner using King satellite equipment to receive DIRECTV service affiming the 2021 date for HD service from 101w.

announcement of DirecTV 2019 changes - Page 14 - iRV2 Forums

Everything you read is not always accurate. I'm sorry I can't go into more detail. I can only say that if you are thinking you have two more years before you want/need to retire SD equipment, you need to change your thinking.

Banned

Thanks for sharing the table.