Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 110

Thread: what happens to sd after april?

  1. #21
    Edgecutter inkahauts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Toma View Post
    An earlier question asked, "How Many DMAs are 100% MPEG4 Locals?"

    The Market Data Excel sheet shows 81 DMAs that are all MPEG4. That's 81 out of 210 DMAs, or 39% of the DMAs.

    Unfortunately, these are more recently added DMA's, 2007 and later. And because they are more recent adds, they tend to be smaller DMAs, in terms of subscriber population.


    The data is all there in the Market Data Excel:

    13,245,390 "TV Homes" are in these all-MPEG4 DMAs
    96,525,780 "TV Homes" are in the MPEG2/MPEG4 DMAs

    If my arithmetic is correct, then 13.7% of the market populations are MPEG4, leaving 86.3% to go. That's a long way to go, to finish this calendar year.


    Here is a copy of the Market_Excel sheet
    Eh, I think the tv house hold numbers themselves is pretty meaningless in this transition. Just the markets is important imho.

    There is really two parts to this transition.

    The first thing is the obvious, which is to replace any box that isn’t mpeg4 capable. But the numbers you posted gives us zero info on how many of those there are. And even that falls in two categories, people who have no mpeg4 boxes and ones who have both mpeg2 and mpeg4 boxes. I suspect that there are not that many who have no mpeg4 boxes. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are less than a million accounts who don’t have at least one mpeg4 box.


    After that is all accomplished, the key thing is to convert mpeg2 stations that do not already have a mpeg4 version (hd Or sd) to mpeg 4. That’s the number that is much more interesting to me at least, and likely to most people. Generally the big four in every market is likely already avaible in mpeg4, so really it’s the additional channels beyond those that will require all the work, the new converters and so forth on the back end.

    That’s where your 61% of the markets comes in that are not yet all mpeg4. But as I said, not even that is a real number of how many channels they have to convert, because some in all those markets are already mpeg4. Of course there is also the issue some are also the biggest markets, like Los Angeles which has a lot more stations than the smaller markets as well.
    I can’t imagine how much time that will take to deal with, but it’ll be interesting to see it happen. I won’t be surprised if we start seeing mpeg4 versions of some of the locals show up as duplicates for mpeg2 only stations on the 99 and 103 satelites in the next few months, before they shut off the mpeg2 versions.

  2. #22
    Edgecutter inkahauts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,171
    It won’t surprise me if some of the mpeg2 stations for locals survive being moved as mpeg2 to 99 and 103 while they work on that transition as well. That’s a LOT of encoders to replace.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by inkahauts View Post
    It won’t surprise me if some of the mpeg2 stations for locals survive being moved as mpeg2 to 99 and 103 while they work on that transition as well. That’s a LOT of encoders to replace.
    I thought Directv had pretty much added an MPEG4 SD version of most MPEG2 SD locals already? Not sure about 101, but they'd done this for 119 a couple years ago. Just to pick one example from a quick look at the spreadsheet I only got as far as Albuquerque and find KTEL - SD only in both MPEG2 & MPEG4.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Speer View Post
    All of the slow APG data for the Ku and Ka band channels are on the transponder that is on the SWM guide channel, formerly 101 TPN 32 and lately TPN 27. I need to look carefully at what is now on TPN 32. The last time I looked Network 724 (Puerto Rico) was not there. A quick check tonight says that Net 724 is on tpn 32 now. I will have to look again, in detail, to see what is on 32, and which transponder is on my SWM guide channel. One way or the other, a STB with a separate network tuner need only monitor one transponder continuously for guide updates. It is told at boot up which transponder that is. I do not know how they resolve it if two STB's ask the SWM to put different guide channels on the SWM guide channel.
    Has the guide channel ever moved? I'd have to think the SWM would obey whichever one told it to switch the guide channel last. If they were changing the transponder used for the guide, they'd have to have a decently long period of overlap where they have two guide channel transponders. They could shorten the time needed for that to by sending out a signal that forced all receivers to restart within the next 24 hours or something (I don't know for sure they can do that, but it is a safe assumption)

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Toma View Post
    An earlier question asked, "How Many DMAs are 100% MPEG4 Locals?"

    The Market Data Excel sheet shows 81 DMAs that are all MPEG4. That's 81 out of 210 DMAs, or 39% of the DMAs.

    Unfortunately, these are more recently added DMA's, 2007 and later. And because they are more recent adds, they tend to be smaller DMAs, in terms of subscriber population.


    The data is all there in the Market Data Excel:

    13,245,390 "TV Homes" are in these all-MPEG4 DMAs
    96,525,780 "TV Homes" are in the MPEG2/MPEG4 DMAs

    If my arithmetic is correct, then 13.7% of the market populations are MPEG4, leaving 86.3% to go. That's a long way to go, to finish this calendar year.

    I agree with inkahauts, the number of people is irrelevant they just need to have everyone upgraded by the end of the year. They waited as long as they did to reduce the number of SD receivers/customers out there to a manageable number that they knew they could do over 18 months or so (assuming it was last spring when they started sending out the letters)

    If they have x number of customers nationwide to upgrade, they don't care how many DMAs they are spread across or how big those DMAs are, they just care about 'x'.

    Most of the MPEG4 only markets were served by 72.7 in the past, and they already learned about this process when they got them switched out to MPEG4 hardware. Probably the reason the smaller markets ended up on 72.7 is because they knew the percentage of customers they'd need to upgrade would be a lot higher, so the smaller the DMA the better. For cost reasons if they're forced to install a second dish, they'd rather install that second dish for markets with a few hundred thousand potential customers, rather than 10 million potential customers.

  6. #26
    Edgecutter inkahauts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by slice1900 View Post
    I thought Directv had pretty much added an MPEG4 SD version of most MPEG2 SD locals already? Not sure about 101, but they'd done this for 119 a couple years ago. Just to pick one example from a quick look at the spreadsheet I only got as far as Albuquerque and find KTEL - SD only in both MPEG2 & MPEG4.
    Check bigger places, like Los Angeles and NY and Huston and Dallas and Seattle and so on. Only DMA that came on latter or where 72 are both on all channels as far as I know.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    334
    Still, overall it seems that the most straight forward and quickest path to the SD transition is
    depending on the state of subscriber equipment is to...

    1) Turn off Ku local spotbeams from 119W.
    2) Turn off Ku local spotbeams and MPEG-2 CONUS beam programming from 101W.
    3) Activate all 16 even numbered CONUS tps. on T15
    4) Move a core group of most popular HD channels from the Ka-band to Ku 101W using A3 with 8-PSK mod.
    5) Move any remaining local and national SD only channels without HD equivalents on 101W to A3 SD channels on local Ka spotbeam and CONUS beam tps. as necessary.
    6) Move all Spanish and international programming on 95 and 119W to vacated Ka CONUS tps. and turn-off 119W altogether.

    How moving Spa. and int'l channels to the RB at 99W instead, helps speed things up is beyond me....

  8. #28
    Edgecutter
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    310
    Wouldn't the people in the MPEG4 markets already have MPEG4 equipment? I thought everyone in Burlington, VT (for example) got HD equipment from the beginning so theoretically there would be no (or very few) customers in those areas to upgrade.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post
    Wouldn't the people in the MPEG4 markets already have MPEG4 equipment? I thought everyone in Burlington, VT (for example) got HD equipment from the beginning so theoretically there would be no (or very few) customers in those areas to upgrade.
    They do ....

    But it's the subs. with SD only equipment in markets with the duplicate Ka/Ku local feeds is the main problem.

    As most of these are naturally the early DMAs for the largest cities like here in the LA market with 25 MPEG-2 local channels (and 1 A3 SD ch.) that a lot of people are still viewing with SD only equipment.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    669
    OK, so I count only 4 channels in LA that are MPEG2 SD only - 18, 20, 24 and 64. Shouldn't be too difficult for them to cram in to the existing spot beams when the time comes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •