Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Greenville NC OTA data updated

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    706
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieh1 View Post
    Looks like WITN is adding two new sub channels
    7.4 Start TV
    7.5 Heroes

    Currently black screens hope Directv goes back and adds these two ota listings in the data base.

    It appears once they add the subchannels in a market they keep it updated so you should see them soon. Directv uses the same guide data as the zap2it.com site, so after it appears there it should appear on Directv (not sure how much lag time there is, might be a day, might be a couple weeks...)

    Just checked the site and it only shows up to 7.3 so it hasn't made it to the guide provider yet.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieh1 View Post
    Looks like WITN is adding two new sub channels
    7.4 Start TV
    7.5 Heroes

    Currently black screens hope Directv goes back and adds these two ota listings in the data base.
    Yeah ....

    And if they do, "hope" DIRECTV won't screw yours up like mines when they added START TV and H&I in this market, but got their arbitrary pseudo-TMS IDs in the database mixed up with real ones. So displaying the wrong guide data for them.

    GUTBS on Guam and Spanish WZDC-CA in Wash. DC, which is actually the former analog version of station that doesn't even exist any longer.

    No real way to report this, tech support CSRs totally useless of course, especially in matters dealing with OTA TV.

  3. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    13
    Once done, they really need a web page where you can enter the info WRONG Guide data, it then creates a support ticket. You have to provide lots of details so they can work it.
    Tivo does this today, Directv should do this when the time comes.
    P.S. hope that add Omaha and Lincoln Ne next, I need guide data for my Star Trek, SpaceSciFi, and Star Gate OTA channels

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by HoTat2 View Post
    WZDC-CA in Wash. DC, which is actually the former analog version of station that doesn't even exist any longer.
    Just because it's now spectrum sharing with WRC, doesn't mean WZDC no longer exists. Even if you spectrum share, you still have a seperate FCC license and callsign, and all the requirements that come with it, like having your own top of the hour ID, E/I and public affairs programming commitments, etc. Since they're a Class A station sharing with a full power signal, they had to change their major number from 25 to 44 to avoid a conflict with WDVM in Hagerstown. WNDT-CD had to do a similar thing in the NYC market when they started spectrum sharing with WNET, they changed their major number from 17 to 14 to avoid a conflict with WPHL and WNMF-LD.

    The analog feeds are still active in the TMS/Gracenote database because they use those entries for the SD feeds of broadcast stations in the lineups for cable, telco and satellite providers, including DirecTV. Since WZDC is a class A station, DirecTV and Dish don't carry it at all, but most of the local DC cable and telco providers carry it in SD and HD like they do with all the other Big 6, PBS, Spanish and independent stations. The difference is the DT/CD entries in their database have the HDTV tags on programming and the SD feeds don't. So if TMS/Gracenote were to delete the analog entries entirely and only use the DT/CD entries, providers who use their data would start displaying the HDTV tags in the on the SD feeds in their EPG, which would break other settop/DVR functions that rely on it like preferring HD airings for series recordings and the HDTV filters that some settop boxes have.

    The raw TMS data is a lot more than just a list of channels and a schedule, it's very complex and contains tons of additional metadata used by set top boxes that require seperate entries for variations for SD/HD/4K/PPV/Premium/timeshifting/DV/streaming, etc. i.e. they have dual entries for certain channels that are also offered as monthly premiums and PPV since the PPV version contains metadata for settop boxes that allow the PPV purchase options to appear and can be integrated with a provider's billing systems, while for certain channels in Canada and Europe they have seperate DV entries since it's common for providers there to have seperate guide entries for channels that have descriptive audio and use the metadata to enable the narration audio track by default.
    Last edited by kyl416; 01-31-2019 at 06:27 PM.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by kyl416 View Post
    Just because it's now spectrum sharing with WRC, doesn't mean WZDC no longer exists. Even if you spectrum share, you still have a seperate FCC license and callsign, and all the requirements that come with it, like having your own top of the hour ID, E/I and public affairs programming commitments, etc. Since they're a Class A station sharing with a full power signal, they had to change their major number from 25 to 44 to avoid a conflict with WDVM in Hagerstown. WNDT-CD had to do a similar thing in the NYC market when they started spectrum sharing with WNET, they changed their major number from 17 to 14 to avoid a conflict with WPHL and WNMF-LD.

    The analog feeds are still active in the TMS/Gracenote database because they use those entries for the SD feeds of broadcast stations in the lineups for cable, telco and satellite providers, including DirecTV. Since WZDC is a class A station, DirecTV and Dish don't carry it at all, but most of the local DC cable and telco providers carry it in SD and HD like they do with all the other Big 6, PBS, Spanish and independent stations. The difference is the DT/CD entries in their database have the HDTV tags on programming and the SD feeds don't. So if TMS/Gracenote were to delete the analog entries entirely and only use the DT/CD entries, providers who use their data would start displaying the HDTV tags in the on the SD feeds in their EPG, which would break other settop/DVR functions that rely on it like preferring HD airings for series recordings and the HDTV filters that some settop boxes have.

    The raw TMS data is a lot more than just a list of channels and a schedule, it's very complex and contains tons of additional metadata used by set top boxes that require seperate entries for variations for SD/HD/4K/PPV/Premium/timeshifting/DV/streaming, etc. i.e. they have dual entries for certain channels that are also offered as monthly premiums and PPV since the PPV version contains metadata for settop boxes that allow the PPV purchase options to appear and can be integrated with a provider's billing systems, while for certain channels in Canada and Europe they have seperate DV entries since it's common for providers there to have seperate guide entries for channels that have descriptive audio and use the metadata to enable the narration audio track by default.
    But what analog SD feeds are those actually nowadays?

    Do you mean TV stations and other providers are still providing NTSC analog feeds to the cable TV headends?

    Or are they really the off-air DTV or ASI over fiber feeds decoded, down-rezzed (if necessary) and placed on analog modulators by the cable providers?

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Posts
    390
    It doesn't have to be analog, it applies to SD feeds of broadcast stations in general, like the SD feeds of LIL channels on Dish and DirecTV or the digital simulcasts that most digital cable providers now have. How it's done varies, some stations prepackage it and send it out via fiber with the rest of their channels, for others it's handled via downconversion at the headend and, if done properly, use the AFD descriptors to automatically crop or letterbox the channels. If it's a cable provider that still offers a partial analog lineup, they use analog modulators to also deliver an analog feed, otherwise it's only delivered via a QAM mux like any other digital channel.

    Whatever way the SD feed for a broadcast station is created, TMS/Gracenote still uses those entries for their SD feeds on cable/sat/telco lineups. So until every single provider in the USA and Canada (and their territories/commonwealths) goes completely HD only and drops the SD feeds from their lineup, these feeds are still going to be in TMS's North American database. (Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean are in a seperate international dataset, only cross border stations and international channels from those countries appear in the North American database)
    Last edited by kyl416; 01-31-2019 at 07:09 PM.

  7. #17
    Edgecutter
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    89
    7 months later Directv still not updated the new additions WITN DT4 and DT5 Start TV and H&I

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •