Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Higher price less channels!

Higher price less channels!

Was 60+ channels for 40 dollars now 50 dollars for 47 channels.

Just like canned Tuna, or half gallon of ice cream, O.J. etc...
    Monte F-TRHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Pcampbell View Post
    Was 60+ channels for 40 dollars now 50 dollars for 47 channels.
    Did the 40+ channel package always include HBO and Cinemax? If not, that softens the blow a bit. Still pricey for some tho. And the 50+ channel package is $20 more!

What's crazier is the more robust 65/85/105/125 channel packages DO NOT include HBO and are priced at $93/$110/$124/$135 respectively. I wonder if they just haven't gotten around to re-pricing those yet? Otherwise, I don't get it.

By comparison, I pay my cableco $55 (including broadcast and regional sports network surcharges) for 119 channels (no HBO), along with $40 for internet, $10 for phone and $5 for 2 cablecards.

it was only a matter of time until streaming caught up with sat/cable

This really shouldn't come as that much of a surprise.

After decades of increasing prices on their sat service routinely...most folks likely figured their streaming service will be no different. Looking at their significant number of customer defections of DirecTV NOW in recent times...this certainly won't help them.

That said, for the most "common" and "popular non-subscription channels - excluding HBO, etc." -- other than Hulu, DirecTV NOW, SlingTV, and maybe YouTubeTV..everything else out there for streaming competitors reflects a skinny or limited set of viewing choices.

This all comes down to what channels/content providers do people watch?

In our case, we watch much less of the traditional network content and much more of content from Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc. Those kinds of choice drive the streaming services people will select.

But as for pricing...yeah...DirecTV has never been the low cost provider on any platform.
    DirecTV NOW customer since August 2018
    Previous 22-year DirecTV Customer
    Previous 12-year CE participant

Quote Originally Posted by UHDFAN0001 View Post
    But as for pricing...yeah...DirecTV has never been the low cost provider on any platform.

people say that, but when i switched from dish my price went down
    mainly due to equipment costs
    dis was $17 per receiver directv was $5

Quote Originally Posted by mdram View Post
    it was only a matter of time until streaming caught up with sat/cable
    It's actually exceeding cable, at least in my case. And i'm not getting promotional pricing. My cable prices today are only about $15 more than I was paying for cable 5 years ago, and my internet speeds have octupled.
    Last edited by Steve; 03-16-2019 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UHDFAN0001 View Post
    This really shouldn't come as that much of a surprise.

After decades of increasing prices on their sat service routinely...most folks likely figured their streaming service will be no different. Looking at their significant number of customer defections of DirecTV NOW in recent times...this certainly won't help them.

That said, for the most "common" and "popular non-subscription channels - excluding HBO, etc." -- other than Hulu, DirecTV NOW, SlingTV, and maybe YouTubeTV..everything else out there for streaming competitors reflects a skinny or limited set of viewing choices.

This all comes down to what channels/content providers do people watch?

In our case, we watch much less of the traditional network content and much more of content from Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc. Those kinds of choice drive the streaming services people will select.

It was just a matter of time. Next will be each TV station owner group selling their own apps or smaller channel groups being sold as your package and splitting channels up so you end up buying all the channel groups.

Edgecutter
    I currently have the Go Big which is 105 channels for 65 which is going up to 75 and I plan to keep it. The best that they have now has 50+ channels which includes all the HBO and Cinemax. This means that there are about 55 channels that they are no longer offering. I did a side by side comparison and channels like the Food Network are not there any longer, nor is Golf if I remember correctly. If I had come to look at streaming now vs the satellite that I had, I would still be using my dish to get DirecTV. Always thought that they wanted us to go to streaming since its less equipment intensive for them, but this is no way to encourage anyone to switch.
    Sharon Evans

The big cost in the long run is for the programming. Soon streaming will cost the same just as I have always thought it would, we are buying the same product. Cost will not go down till enough people just stop paying for any service and money is lost. I now use OTA only.