Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEW STB C71KW, OSPREY

Quote Originally Posted by UHDFAN0001 View Post
    Gee...it almost makes ya wonder what they're gonna do with these C71KW units...
    Hmmmm. Almost like they might use it for there IP service hmmm.

My understanding is that it will be a new STB going forward for all IPTV deployments in commercial environment first. COM46 and COM51 blades will transmit content in the clear with watermarking enabled by the new licensing enabled on the cards. In the future this technology will most likely be implemented in residential environment as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Arka730 View Post
    My understanding is that it will be a new STB going forward for all IPTV deployments in commercial environment first. COM46 and COM51 blades will transmit content in the clear with watermarking enabled by the new licensing enabled on the cards. In the future this technology will most likely be implemented in residential environment as well.
    Why transmit content in the clear if they are requiring a client on the TVs? If you're requiring a client, why not encrypt the content since the client could trivially decrypt it? What you suggest makes no sense.

I highly doubt content owners would let Directv carry their content in the clear, even if it was watermarked.

They carry it in the clear for a along time. Only difference it requires a special consent from the client and use of a DRM. like Haivision, Elemental, Tripleplay, VideoPropulsion. which will provide their own encryption. Only difference now is that VP seems to win the contest and will get Watermarking enabled on their systems.