Thread: Amazon Plans to Offer Satellite-Powered Internet

Amazon Plans to Offer Satellite-Powered Internet

Amazon is entering the satellite-broadband race. It will launch 3,236 satellites in low Earth orbit to bring high-speed, affordable internet across the world.

Amazon Plans to Offer Satellite-Powered Internet

Will take a few years to implement, but between this and SpaceX's planned sat service, announced last year, looks like there may finally be competitive and affordable alternatives for D* subscribers in areas without cable or high-speed internet service.

They will probably have to match 5G speeds to get the investment back on this. In the next few years rural areas should be improved speeds as long as you are close to a power pole. It's a lot of investment that unless they can provide fast speeds or really low costs, it doesn't make much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by prushing View Post
    They will probably have to match 5G speeds to get the investment back on this. In the next few years rural areas should be improved speeds as long as you are close to a power pole. It's a lot of investment that unless they can provide fast speeds or really low costs, it doesn't make much sense.
    Currently at 29Mbps, at least AT&T's 5GE speeds aren't extraordinary. Hopefully those speeds will improve by the time satellite internet becomes a cost competitive option.

SpaceX is hoping to eventually deploy up to 12,000, 900 lb. satellites, providing gigabit speeds. I don't know what speeds Amazon is shooting for, but I'm guessing faster than 30Mbps.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Currently at 29Mbps, at least AT&T's 5GE speeds aren't extraordinary.
    Are you sure about that number, it seems very slow? I have Verizon and have seen speeds up to 170 Mbps and on average 80 Mbps in Chicago on 4Lte.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Are you sure about that number, it seems very slow? I have Verizon and have seen speeds up to 170 Mbps and on average 80 Mbps in Chicago on 4Lte.
    It does seem low. I routinely get 80Mbps at home with just 2 bars of T-Mobile, but I was referring to the numbers from this graphic. Must be national averages.

opensignal-5g-e-4g.jpg

The full articles is here: ATs 5G E is slower than some 4G connections

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Currently at 29Mbps, at least AT&T's 5GE speeds aren't extraordinary. Hopefully those speeds will improve by the time satellite internet becomes a cost competitive option.

SpaceX is hoping to eventually deploy up to 12,000, 900 lb. satellites, providing gigabit speeds. I don't know what speeds Amazon is shooting for, but I'm guessing faster than 30Mbps.

5ge is a complete and total marketing tool. Nothing changed for their speeds and service, they just changed the name to fool customers. Pretty funny considering to first showed up on iPhones that aren’t even able to do 5g! My friend noticed it the other day on her phone and said, what is 5ge?

I think sprint suing them over the name use as false and misleading is smart. They won’t win but it’ll draw attention to the ridiculousness that this is and likely kill the advantage in deceiving customers they where hopping to get.

It is weird but my iPhone received an update last night and today while sitting in Starbucks it showed 5Ge. Speed was 116 down but upload was slow. Came home and turned wifi off and still showed the same 5G but slower download speed.