Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Rookie desperately seeking assistance ...

After researching more satellite terminology ...

... I found out that the "LNB" is the Low-Noise Block Downconverter and, in addition, that the "SWM-8" is the 8-channel Single-Wire Multiswitch. After climbing back up to the dish, I recorded the fact that the tube-like arm that holds the LNB a fixed distance for the reflective dish surface itself is filled with (4) coax cables. After studying the SWM-8, I discovered that there are (2) input ports on top of it that are dedicated to Satellites 99 and 101. One of these input ports is labeled as requiring an 18V signal while the second is labeled as requiring a 13V signal. After doing a bit more reading last night, it would seem that our present issue somehow involves the 13V port I just described ... because, based on my research, the 18V port is associated with even-numbered TPNs and the 13V port is associated with the odds.

What I'm presently confused about, however, is why the SD channels associated with the 101-degree satellite [or is it satellites?] seem to be functioning, while, as stated earlier in this thread, the odd-numbered transponder channels are not. Is the HD information that voltage sensitive? To clarify, I'm asking if a drop in the voltage level, not a total signal loss, will knock out our odd-numbered (13V) HD channels while still being at a sufficient level to facilitate the SD channels that we seem to be receiving without an issue? By the way, are these 13V and 18V signals at a DC level? If they are, one would think that the SWM-8 input ports would be labeled accordingly?

Miscellaneous data recorded from the physical dish setup

> Slimline 3 Dish

> The bracket used for adjusting elevation has this stamped into it: WNC-3 07/2012

> The LNB has a sticker applied to it that is labeled with this number: SL3 K4N R0-02

> The SWM-8 has a sticker applied that is labeled with the following number: SWM 8R2-03

As ever, thanks very much for your time and your assistance ~ Hand

I neglected to mention that the only receiver we use is labeled as being an HR23/700 ...

Ok, you have a legacy type four outlet SL-3 LNB feeding a SWiM-8 multiswitch.

The reason the Ku band signals which most all SD channels use might not be affected is because the LNB or multiswitch may be what is defective after all and not simply a bad cable carrying the odd numbered tps from the LNB to the multiswitch.

But anyway first try swapping the 18v and 13v 99/101 cables to the multiswitch to see if the problem moves to the even numbered tps.

If it does then it's a cabling issue. If not then it's either the LNB or multiswitch that's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by HoTat2 View Post
    Ok, you have a legacy type four outlet SL-3 LNB feeding a SWiM-8 multiswitch.

The reason the Ku band signals which most all SD channels use might not be affected is because the LNB or multiswitch may be what is defective after all and not simply a bad cable carrying the odd numbered tps from the LNB to the multiswitch.

But anyway first try swapping the 18v and 13v 99/101 cables to the multiswitch to see if the problem moves to the even numbered tps.

If it does then it's a cabling issue. If not then it's either the LNB or multiswitch that's bad.
    HoTat2 ~ Thanks very much for the logical advice. I will give this a try and get back to the thread with my findings ...

Okay, so I swapped the 13V and the 18V inputs running into the two Sat 99/101 ports ... but there seemed to be no change at all because of it, so I swapped the coax connections back to the original configuration.

Please forgive the repetition, but why are the SD channels that are listed in Gary Toma's DirecTV National TPN Map Spreadsheet functioning so well? According to the spreadsheet, there are many SD channels dedicated to odd-numbered transponders aboard Satellite 101 ... and, being a satellite novice, this disparity really perplexes me. In other words, if the SWM-8 99/101 13V input port circuitry isn't functioning properly for odd-numbered TPNs aboard Satellite 99, how come the same circuit is acquiring odd-numbered transponder signals being beamed down from Satellite 101? Please feel free to treat me like the satellite ignoramus that I [obviously] am.

You have a very good and logical question. And you are learning fast. Someone who has more experience with legacy LNBs may have some other ideas, but, from your tests, it sounds like Your LNB is bad. It might be worthwhile calling DTV for a tech truck roll. They probably will replace your legacy LNB and SWM-8 with a SWM LNB (1 coax cable). That is a much less complex system that provides the same functionality. Your present system is at least 9 to 10 years old.
    Tom Speer, N2HF, Part of the DataDigesters team. A Migratory Common Loon

Hand,

Look at the last sheet in the TPN Map Excel. It is a graphic named the Network Decoder.

Notice that your SD channels coming from the 101W slot are from one of the three satellites at that location. These satellites are all transmitting on the Ku band.

If you check the 99W slot, your HD channels are coming from one of two satellites at that location. These satellites are all transmitting on the Ka band.

These different frequencies utilize different components and sub-components.

There is also a 99CR band at 99W. We'll talk about that later. Right now you do not have an LNB capable of receiving these 'Reverse Band' signals.

Tom and Gary ~ First things first, thanks very kindly for the responses. The reason that I'd like to learn as much as I can about our DTV system is due to the fact that, whenever I've inquired about service, I've been told that it will take an extended period for someone to come out (which I chalk up to our remote location). In addition, the last time an AT&T serviceman showed up, I quickly got the feeling that he wasn't very well-trained for the job. Perhaps it's my age or the fact that I was raised on a farm, but I often find the work we pay for to be less than stellar. Regardless, as a former engineer, I've always striven to be as self-reliant as possible and, at the risk of coming off as arrogant, I seem to be one of the only people I know who still takes pride in a job well done.

After reading Gary's response to my last reply, I'm assuming that the transponders repeating the HD channel signals are operating in a higher frequency range than transponders repeating the SD signals ... and, if this is indeed the case, I can logically see why the frequency response of the circuitry associated with the 13V and 18V ports dedicated to Sat 99/101 might fall off at said higher frequencies, which, I'm assuming, might also explain why the odd-numbered 101 transponder signals are still being acquired and processed effectively by our DTV system.

Is it the consensus that our goal should be, as Tom suggested, to convert our LNB and SWM to the type that utilizes only one coax cable between the LNB and the SWM? If this is what we should do, I would be most grateful if anyone would pass along the proper model name and/or part numbers we should be looking for. In other words, which LNB and which SWM should we be looking for to update our system to the present standard? Thanks to all for your help ~ Hand
    Last edited by HandLogger; 05-09-2019 at 06:22 AM.

The latest LNB for what you need is here:

DIRECTV Ultra HD 4K Digital Reverse Band 3 Satellite LNB (3D2RBLNB) from Solid Signal

However, you are likely going to need new splitters and a Power Inserter, as I don't believe you have an HR44 or later due to your 9 year old system.
    (HR44 and later have Power Inserters built in)

All sorts of approved splitters are here, aka Directv green label approved splitters

Search: directv splitters - Solid Signal

Helpful link here

Do You Need The New SWM-13 LNB for Your DIRECTV Dish?

And it shows you need the Power Inserter and note, there are specific power passing ports
    on the splitters. Download the diagram...
    You may not need an 8 way but you will need some assortment depending on your installation.

LNB
    3D2LNBR0-02
    SWM Power inserter just in case you need that as well.
    PI21R3-1