Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Rookie desperately seeking assistance ...

A bit more explanation of the band stack plan from the conventional LNBs can be found in this document. It is rather dated, but explains a lot.
    Dish, Multiswitch and Cable FAQ.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by NR4P View Post
    The latest LNB for what you need is here:

DIRECTV Ultra HD 4K Digital Reverse Band 3 Satellite LNB (3D2RBLNB) from Solid Signal

However, you are likely going to need new splitters and a Power Inserter, as I don't believe you have an HR44 or later due to your 9 year old system.
    (HR44 and later have Power Inserters built in)

All sorts of approved splitters are here, aka Directv green label approved splitters

Search: directv splitters - Solid Signal

Helpful link here

Do You Need The New SWM-13 LNB for Your DIRECTV Dish?

And it shows you need the Power Inserter and note, there are specific power passing ports
    on the splitters. Download the diagram...
    You may not need an 8 way but you will need some assortment depending on your installation.
    Or if you're like me a person of ... well lets just say ... "modest means" without a great deal to spend on home entertainment.

Check ebay for very good deals on all NR4P list here.

Like I've stated on other forums before, while I personally like DIRECTV third party sellers such as Solid Signal or Weakness.

I freely admit I can't afford a lot of their prices ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Speer View Post
    You have a very good and logical question. And you are learning fast. Someone who has more experience with legacy LNBs may have some other ideas, but, from your tests, it sounds like Your LNB is bad. It might be worthwhile calling DTV for a tech truck roll. They probably will replace your legacy LNB and SWM-8 with a SWM LNB (1 coax cable). That is a much less complex system that provides the same functionality. Your present system is at least 9 to 10 years old.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoTat2 View Post
    Or if you're like me a person of ... well lets just say ... "modest means" without a great deal to spend on home entertainment.

Check ebay for very good deals on all NR4P list here.

Like I've stated on other forums before, while I personally like DIRECTV third party sellers such as Solid Signal or Weakness.

I freely admit I can't afford a lot of their prices ...
    No need to explain, HoTat2 ... given the fact that we're all being nickel and dimed to death in our system, all of us should be doing our best to save anywhere we can ... which is part of the reason why I don't like throwing hard-earned money away on highly-suspect service work ... and part of the reason that I'm here.

Not to be repetitious, but here's what we presently have:

> (1) HR23/700 Receiver (with 2 tuners)

> (1) 4-cable "Legacy" LNB with the following number on it: SL3 K4N R0-02 LNB

> (1) Slimline 3 Dish -- the bracket used for adjusting elevation on this dish has this stamped into it: WNC-3 07/2012

> (1) SWM-8 -- the sticker applied to this SWM is labeled with the following number: SWM 8R2-03

> (1) Green Label SWM 2-Way Power Splitter (Model: MSPLIT2R1-03 ; Freq Range: 2-2150Mhz)

> (1) Power Inserter (Model: PI29R1-03 ; Freq Range: 2-2150 MHz ; Insertion Loss: 1.5dB ; Output: 29VDC at 1.4A max)

As we only have one television in service, we simply have one coax cable running out of our SWM-8 and, I assume, directly to our Power Inserter. I'm assuming, once again, but the port on our Power Inserter labeled "SIGNAL TO IRD" is running, via a single RG6 coax cable, directly to Input 1 on the back of our HR23/700 receiver. Considering this simple setup, do we need a new green label Power Splitter? Is the new power splitter, which was suggested by NR4P, only used with more than one receiver? Is a new power splitter required for more than one television to function via our HR23/700 receiver?

As @Tom Speer has previously suggested (read the quote at the top of this page), we've decided that updating our dish setup is worth the expense. I really appreciate the part numbers and such that were posted herein, but what I'm not seeing is any information relating to the SWM.

If we update from our suspect [4-cable] LNB to a single cable type LNB -- which I assume is the "SWM-13" LNB recommended by NR4P -- do we also need to replace our SWM-8? I really can't see how the updated LNB would work with it, so, if someone would care to share which SWM works with the new single-cable LNB we're going to invest in, that would be very helpful. After all, there's no sense buying only part of a functional system, right?

I'd also appreciate it if someone would take a look at the specifications I've provided herein for our Power Inserter. I've got it here on my desk and it has a green label on it, but it doesn't specify which types of SWM units it was designed to send power to.

In short, I'm hoping that someone can take all of the kind suggestions we've received and write back with a list of what we need to buy to update our modest system to a single-cable type setup that connects to our Slimline 3 dish.

Thanks very much to anyone and everyone who has shared their thoughts thus far ~ Hand
    Last edited by HandLogger; 05-09-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Eliminate the swm 8 altogether. The swm is built in to the new lnb. One wire from the lnb to the power inserter/splitter. Much simpler. The lnb I listed is the 21 tuner version with the Reverse Band integrated so I would get that one for future proofing. I would also get the new 21volt power inserter to replace the 29 volt you have on the swm 8.

Ken984 ~ Thanks for clarifying the new LNB design to me -- I don't believe that anyone contributing to the thread had explained that to me.

I see that Bossier City is adjacent to Barksdale AFB. I'm a USAF CCT veteran, so, naturally, I was wondering if you're affiliated with the one of B52 squadrons at Barksdale?

Thank you for your service! I am not in the Air Force. But my backyard is just a couple pastures from the flight line. I can hear the jets idling. My son in law was stationed here and is now at Andrews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken984 View Post
    Eliminate the swm 8 altogether. The swm is built in to the new lnb. One wire from the lnb to the power inserter/splitter. Much simpler. The lnb I listed is the 21 tuner version with the Reverse Band integrated so I would get that one for future proofing. I would also get the new 21volt power inserter to replace the 29 volt you have on the swm 8.
    Thanks for the acknowledgement of my service, Ken.

Would you care to take a crack at explaining to an old vet why the power splitters may be necessary? Based on the diagrams I've seen, it would seem that one only needs a splitter if more than one receiver is in use.

Considering our single receiver/single television setup, however, I think that I understand what you're inferring ... Take off the old 4-cable LNB (which we believe is defective), remove the existing SWM-8 (which we believe may also be defective), pull the four short RG6 coax cables out of the LNB arm, run the [very] long RG6 cable -- that presently comes out of the "SWM1/PWR" port on our SWM-8 -- through the LNB arm and connect it to the new 3D2LNBR0-02 single-cable LNB you suggested. Next, I'm assuming that the long RG6 line I just described runs directly to the POWER TO SWM port on the new PI21R3-1 (21V) Power Inserter you suggested ... and, from there, another piece of long RG6 is run from the SIGNAL TO IRD output on the new Power Inserter directly to Input 1 on the back of our HR23/700 Receiver. If this is correct, it would seem that a power splitter is superfluous and, otherwise, excess to our needs.

Please feel free to correct anything I may be misunderstanding. I'm an old engineer, but satellite terminology is very new to me. Standing by ~ Hand
    Last edited by HandLogger; 05-09-2019 at 07:20 PM. Reason: I Love my old Grammar ...

If you’re upgrading your system, I would recommend upgrading to a newer Genie too (HR54). The old boxes still work fine, but so painfully slow. If you’re like me and a tad impatient, you’ll heartily enjoy the speed and the bonus additional recording tuners. Also, with an HR54, you can get rid of the power inserter (provided your receiver is within 50ft of coax of your dish).

Yes you could eliminate the splitter if you only use one receiver. Keep it around in case you ever add another receiver you can run up to 21 tuners off the new lnb. I would second the recommendation on a newer HR if you are ok with a new 2 year contract, but that would probably require a truck roll and at that point I would just let them upgrade the whole thing for free. They are pretty bad about wanting to send someone out now.

savarese04 ~ Thanks for the suggestion, but we're spending so much money on the money pit we moved into last year that things are tight. We're also much further than 50 feet from our Slimline 3 dish. The added recording tuners do sound sweet, though. Thanks again ~ Hand