Thread: H25-500 & Forum Questions

H25-500 & Forum Questions

Hello from a new member and forgive me as I can't find these answers on this site.

Interested in trying beta/new firmware but is there any way to make suggestions that would be considered? Two things would make things so much better with the H25: A way to set a static IP address and, more importantly, a way to schedule an automatic re-start. I read so much on re-starting DirecTV receivers to fix issues so this would be a helpful feature. I can add smart outlets to do this but they are an added expense and might re-start late at night when a new firmware is being pushed out.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and I have some other things I want to post and discuss in other threads.

It has been years since I messed with it, but it was possible to set a static IP on the H2x previously. If they've taken away that capability in Directv's GUI, have it grab an IP address from a router via DHCP. Even the cheapest wireless or wired routers support a way to set a fixed IP for a given MAC address, so it will always get the same one.

Yeah, the suggestion to reserve a dhcp IP by mac address is probably the easiest way to resolve that desire.

As to a scheduled reset, I don't think there is really a need for that. I never reset my unit (current HS17 or any previous unit including an H25 some time ago). If you are having to reset yours regularly, there is may be something else going on that needs to be figured out. If there is a case to be made for doing this, and enough people chime in agreeing, we can relay the suggestion to engineering. But in the absence of both a quantity of people indicating they need to do this, and in reported issues in the CE issues threads regarding this (with report numbers for engineering to research), I'm not going to forward the request.

One thing you can do, is if/when you find it necessary to do a reset to resolve a problem, after doing so run a report and post an issue with the report number. That gets the relevant information to engineering so they can evaluate it.

We have jokingly commented on Dish using a built in timed reset to solve some of their problems in the past (don't know if they still do that or not).

If you do need a scheduled reset, get one of those outlet plugs people use for when they travel that lets you set on/off times. Just set off at 4:00 and on at 4:01 or whatever and you're good to go.

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I have already reserved IPs in the router but the static IP setting would be a best-practice in the devices as well. The H25s I have do not have this option.

As for the reset, I've seen hundreds of postings where people need to do this on a regular basis for various reasons. I agree it's best to solve the issue but in the mean time a reset is the temporary fix. I thought about the smart outlets but knowing my luck it will reset in the middle of a firmware install and that's not good. I occasionally get an H25 that loses connection with the router. A router reboot doesn't fix it but an H25 reset does so I think a 4am automatic restart will ensure everything is ready to go in the morning.

It's been years since I even considered a static IP. I am hard wired, and loving it. My HR-54 provides the internet connections throughout the house.

I'm guessing that he's talking about a commercial environment. You want static IPs so you know which receiver is which, i.e. give them names like 'DTV_H25_008' or 'DTV_room3_NE' or whatever to fix a particular receiver to a particular location. Or maybe they're in a headend rack, with each one fixed on a particular channel so if one channel goes out you'd want to know which receiver that is so you can try to poke at it remotely.

Quote Originally Posted by MixedMarket View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I have already reserved IPs in the router but the static IP setting would be a best-practice in the devices as well. The H25s I have do not have this option.

As for the reset, I've seen hundreds of postings where people need to do this on a regular basis for various reasons. I agree it's best to solve the issue but in the mean time a reset is the temporary fix. I thought about the smart outlets but knowing my luck it will reset in the middle of a firmware install and that's not good. I occasionally get an H25 that loses connection with the router. A router reboot doesn't fix it but an H25 reset does so I think a 4am automatic restart will ensure everything is ready to go in the morning.
    A few hundred posts (some for the same people) with issues isn’t a reason to have an auto reset. Just hides actual issues imho that need to be addressed. And really those rested can dump data that has to then reload. So best not to do that unless there is an issue. When there is an issue, then yeah you do want to dump data and reload.

Unless it’s a comercial environment, if you have a decent router I can’t find much of a reason to run user specified static ips anymore. I’m curious what you have happening that you want them on static ips?

Yes, it's a commercial set-up with 24 TVs total and the receivers at each TV. (I did not set this up and would have put them all in a rack and serve out the content with HDMI over Ethernet.) The static IPs are needed for the 3rd party tablet/phone remote we are using since it's much simpler and no ads like the DirecTV remote. Static IPs are set-up in the router but it's always a best-practice to also set the static IP in the device as well. I know it's redundant but I've seen fewer issues when things are tidy at both ends.

I 100% agree it's best to fix the issue rather than rely on a re-boot but when you are forced to re-boot the automatic option would be helpful. I assume it would be best to start a new thread with the issues I'm having to get some feedback and I will do that soon.

Again, I appreciate all of the replies and advice.