Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWiM needs sporadic reset but only affects 8 out of 24 receivers

SWiM needs sporadic reset but only affects 8 out of 24 receivers

Greetings from a new member...
    Spent a lot of time trying different things to fix this issue so now I'm here. I will try to cover all of the things I have tried. It's 20 H-25 and 4 H-24 receivers supplied by three 8-way splitters. (No DVRs are connected.) About once or twice a week, the same 8 H-25 receivers that are fed from the same splitter will go offline with a 771 or 775 error. It doesn't seem to be tied to power failures or rain and can happen at any time. The only way to fix it was to pull the plug on the two power inserters. I found a SWiM 8 being fed from the Legacy Ports of a SWiM 16. The TVs that would go offline were on the SWiM 8 and I read that the Legacy Ports are not the best way to feed another SWiM. So I got an E-2 adapter and joined two SWiM 16's together. The issue continued so I replaced the splitter. (All splitters were green-label DirecTV.) The issue continued so I tried moving the coax that feeds the splitter to the other SWiM. The issue continued so I tried swapping the power inserters between the SWiMs. The issue continued so I forced firmware updates on all receivers. (All of the H-25s got new firmware.) The issue continues so I put a smart outlet at the two power inserters so I can reset things without having to be there.

I understand power failures and rain can throw things offline but why is it always the same 8 receivers and the other 16 don't have the same issue? The smart outlet is a temporary fix (as we talked about in my other thread) but not a permanent one so any other things to try are appreciated. Thank you!

Have you tried what I suggested on satelliteguys and dividing up those 8 problem receivers between two SWM16 ports to narrow down the one H25 or one coax run that's the real problem?

Quote Originally Posted by slice1900 View Post
    Have you tried what I suggested on satelliteguys and dividing up those 8 problem receivers between two SWM16 ports to narrow down the one H25 or one coax run that's the real problem?
    I have not had time to do that and wanted to give this forum a shot in case someone had something else to try. The business is open from 7am to 2am so there's a narrow time when I can climb into the ceiling and getting around those limited hours will be tough for me. I think what I'm going to do is extend the 8 coax cables and splitter over into the nearby office where I can move things around during business hours.

Did you swap the coax from the swim to the splitter with one of the legs you know works? Not just to the unused swim output? See if the issue follows the splitter or the swim.

Have you tried a different length coax (and new coax) from the swim to the splitter? Add 5 feet to it and see what happens.

Does the splitter having the issues have all the h25s on it?

And do the 8 runs follow each other for a while? Any chance someone damaged them?

I have tried the coax to the "troubled 8" on all 4 of the SWiM output ports. The issue is always with the same 8 receivers. This never happens with the other 16 (divided into 8 as well).

Yes it's always the same 8 connected to one splitter. I guess I should try moving some receivers around among the splitters or the new coax from the SWiM but I can only climb around in the ceiling between 2am and 7am because of business hours. The three splitters are about 15 feet from the office so I think I'm going to move them in there so I can make changes during business hours. Some runs have slack and others will need to be extended.

The troubled 8 have 4 runs to one area then the other 3 to another area.

Update: I don't want to jinx it but for over a week now they haven't gone out. It's usually about once or twice a week. I have not made any changes during this time. I think for now I will leave it and see how long it stays on.
    Thanks to all who have commented!

That just means it is waiting for the most inconvenient time for you and the customer to go out when you least expect it!

I’d replace the coax from the swim to the splitter and the splitter connected to the 8 trouble boxes. I’d bet 95% one of those two are the issues so replace them both since it’s so much trouble to deal with.

Well didn't quite make it a week but had a new issue. I happened to be there last night when every TV had a message that the guide was unable to be downloaded for the last hour. I tried re-booting a few of them and they all got stuck on downloading the guide. Other receivers were working fine but the ones I re-booted were stuck. I reset the SWMs and that didn't help. I also noticed that several of the receivers (some stuck on downloading the guide and others working) were not responding to the remote control app and they were not connected to the router. I re-booted the router and that didn't help so had to get actual remotes and re-boot all of them. I ran out of time and left. As far as I know everything was working today and even the "troubled 8" were all working.

Internet comes in via MOCA using three Ethernet CCKs, one for each block of 8 receivers. Since some will ask, the issue with the "troubled 8" happened before I added the internet connection. In fact it happens less when I stopped using the Legacy Ports as they had the a SWM-8 fed down from a SWM-16. There was some improvement when I went to the two SWM-16s joined together with an E-2 adapter.

Last ditch effort before I pull new coax, which won't be much fun, I ordered a SWM-32 and a Polarity Locker. I'm going to try that instead of the two SWM-16s and will let you know how it goes sometime next week.

Ok a couple things...

If you are using a swim16 you shouldn’t have two internet connections on that swim16 that is using both sides. Just one for the entire switch. That can cause issues. But likely not this one.

I lean more and more towards a cable
    Issue or a splitter issue. I think the guide data freq is screwed getting to the receivers. Replace all wires and splitters that are exactly unique to all 8 receivers and then hope anew.