Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: OTA Channel Guide Database

No pattern in number of channels. We've seen new markets get double digit additions and single digit additions in the same update.

It's also not related to the number of subscribers in each market. For the ones I got DirecTV specific numbers via some local ad sales info where stations listed the subscriber count for the major providers in their DMA, no pattern there either.

The only thing we know for sure is why the first 4 markets got their update last May. Vegas and Salt Lake City because they were the pilot markets for the LCC, and Los Angeles and Dallas because that's where DirecTV and AT&T have their major operation centers. But we can't even pin it on the next markets to get the LCC as Sioux Falls was added to the list of eligible markets when they had their Fox dispute and they have yet to see the expansion, even though multiple additions have happened during that dispute.
    Last edited by kyl416; 03-01-2019 at 07:56 PM.

My friend who used to work there said it is based on Cord Cutting Numbers.
    In each DMA they have a detailed chart on how many subs they lost to Cord Cutting, highest drop percentage Cities are getting the updated data first based on percentages lost. They also have a 2nd column with Drops to Dish and Cable. Those get sorted secondary. They then work down the list.

Their plan is to do a marketing blitz in each City one by one offering a Hybrid Cord Cutter option with a $10 or more savings like we saw in the pilot. Dish offers $12 but does no advertising.
    Cord Cutting is a threat, they are worried.
    Friend has been wrong before and this info is now 8 months old he said.

Wouldn't it make more financial sense to do it by absolute number of cord cutters? If Sioux Falls had the highest percentage of cord cutters and Chicago had the lowest percentage, they would still want to do Chicago before Sioux Falls because the absolute number of cord cutters would be a lot higher because it has so many more people.

One of my locals added two more subchannels on March 1st (sigh) I will be curious to see how long it takes them to be picked up. I just checked zap2it and they've made it there, so they're in the guide data, and the DMA has already got the "upgrade". So I'm guessing one of the next couple updates will include them.

Edgecutter
    Quote Originally Posted by kyl416 View Post
    They added prep for a secondary HDR test feed since the big east and big ten tournaments will be going on at the same time in HDR on channels 105 and 106 later this month.

The Burlington-VT market now has WMUR in HD, although I think it's limited to Grafton and Sullivan counties in the NH portions of the DMA.
    It is limited to those counties. Good for them, it's about time. Now if only they could do NH PBS WLED in HD, which is available to the whole DMA. I think they use the WENH signal from the Boston market and the spotbeam for the HD channel doesn't quite reach the NW corner of the DMA, so no one in the Burlington DMA gets it in HD. It is the only SD channel in the lineup, the in-market locals are HD-only.

Is there a reason why the OTA page in the excel file in the first post only goes to market 148?

Quote Originally Posted by Billzebub View Post
    Is there a reason why the OTA page in the excel file in the first post only goes to market 148?
    Sorry, but it seems correct to me. The OTA Markets end at Market 213, Puerto Rico.

Please try to download it again, your first try might have been clobbered. If it is still a problem, please let me know and we'll work to see what the trouble is.

Maybe it’s my iPad. I’ll try on my computer

Quote Originally Posted by Billzebub View Post
    Maybe it’s my iPad. I’ll try on my computer
    You are sane. I just tried reading the Excel from my iPhone. Just as you pointed out, the OTA sheet ends at Market 148.

I can read the TPN Map fine from three different Windows desktops and two Windows laptops, so I think the data provided in Post #1 is valid and complete.

My next test will be reading the Excel on my iPhone or iPad using the Excel app itself (not the default Excel reader provided by iOS).

We will figure it out !
    Last edited by Gary Toma; 03-10-2019 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Toma View Post
    You are sane. I just tried reading the Excel from my iPhone. Just as you pointed out, the OTA sheet ends at Market 148.

I can read the TPN Map fine from three different Windows desktops and two Windows laptops, so I think the data provided in Post #1 is valid and complete.

My next test will be reading the Excel on my iPhone or iPad using the Excel app itself (not the default Excel reader provided by iOS).

We will figure it out !
    The same iPhone that fails displaying past Market 148, works fine using the the Microsoft Excel app (free from the app store). Some research is needed here, but you have a workaround, at least...