Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: OTA Channel Guide Database

Markets in Nielsen's Top 50 that have yet to see updates, the biggest one being Seattle-Tacoma WA:

93 - Indianapolis IN (#28)
    96 - Jacksonville FL-Brunswick GA (#42)
    100 - Kansas City MO (#32)
    133 - New Orleans LA (#50)
    138 - Oklahoma City OK (#45)
    167 - San Antonio TX (#31)
    172 - Seattle-Tacoma WA (#13)
    182 - St Louis MO (#21)
    202 - West Palm Beach-Ft Pierce FL (#37)
    213 - Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands (would be somewhere in the 20s if it were counted by Nielsen)

The is certainly no logic in the order they're adding markets that anyone can detect. Its almost as if they are picking markets out of a hat or something

Quote Originally Posted by slice1900 View Post
    The is certainly no logic in the order they're adding markets that anyone can detect. Its almost as if they are picking markets out of a hat or something
    Attached is the Directv DMA database, updated with the 2019 Nielsen ratings. The DMAs shaded in ugly green have had one or more OTA updates. The DMAs in white have not seen an update since 2009, at best.

Yes, the sequence makes no sense at all.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Gary Toma; 06-03-2019 at 03:21 AM.

Question: how is Neilsen coming up with the number for "TV homes" shown in your spreadsheet? They show a drop in TV homes in all markets between 2018 and 2019. I know cord cutting costs cable/satellite subscribers, but that doesn't necessarily mean those people aren't able to watch via antenna. I guess Nielsen doesn't count those people since it is easier to count with cable/satellite using data from the providers like Directv, Comcast etc.?

I remember when I was a little kid my family was a Nielsen family for a bit. Can't remember if it was one week or several weeks. My dad wrote down what we watched in a little booklet and sent it back to them. Very high tech lol!

Quote Originally Posted by slice1900 View Post
    Question: how is Neilsen coming up with the number for "TV homes" shown in your spreadsheet? They show a drop in TV homes in all markets between 2018 and 2019. I know cord cutting costs cable/satellite subscribers, but that doesn't necessarily mean those people aren't able to watch via antenna. I guess Nielsen doesn't count those people since it is easier to count with cable/satellite using data from the providers like Directv, Comcast etc.?

I remember when I was a little kid my family was a Nielsen family for a bit. Can't remember if it was one week or several weeks. My dad wrote down what we watched in a little booklet and sent it back to them. Very high tech lol!
    Cord cutting would not influence the Nielsen ratings at all. They are not limited to just cable or sat sources. When your dad was writing down your family viewing, he was probably receiving the programming with an antenna. When Nielsen started measuring TV data in 1950, atennas were the only game in town. They now even measure time shifted viewing.
    Last edited by Gary Toma; 06-03-2019 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Toma View Post
    Cord cutting would not influence the Nielsen ratings at all. They are not limited to just cable or sat sources. When your dad was writing down your family viewing, he was probably receiving the programming with an antenna. When Nielsen started measuring TV data in 1950, atennas were the only game in town. They now even measure time shifted viewing.

Then how are there 600,000 fewer TV homes from 2018 to 2019? The population isn't declining, but Nielsen seems to think the number of TV homes is shrinking from 112-ish million to 111-ish.

Nielsen doesn't count streaming only homes in those numbers. So cord cutters who stick to Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/etc for TV viewing don't count unless they suppliment it with OTA. Plus, with streaming they don't need to rely on Nielsen's traditional surveys because they already know exactly how many devices are viewing their programs and in some cases the specific subscribers who are viewing them and a general idea of where in the country they are viewing it from geoIP data.

Also, while yes set top boxes can report things back, that doesn't give them a full picture. They have no idea who is watching and if they're actively watching or it's in the background (i.e. background noise or the settop is still on while you're using another input or in another room and left the TV on). It also doesn't count non-two way devices like satellite boxes not connected to the internet or phone line, OTA viewers not viewing on an internet connected tuner, cable viewers who are using a 3rd party cable card tuner, clear QAM or are analog only (yes they still exist), along with the people who selected the opt out options to prevent them from using their data, as well as devices from providers that don't have a reporting deal with Nielsen. It's the participants in their surveys that tell them the specific demos actively watching a program.
    Last edited by kyl416; 06-03-2019 at 09:55 PM.

Doctor J OTA Homework

Doctor J took the time to put together a chart for us to illustrate

• the date each DMA got its first OTA update
    • the date each DMA got a subsequent OTA update

We have had 17 OTA Update occurrences. Some DMAs have had 8 updates during that time.
    Other DMAs are still awaiting their first update.

There is a wealth of information here. Thank you Doctor J for the initiative and the analysis.
    Well Done !!
    Attached Files Attached Files

So with almost exactly one year since the first little sign of OTA updating on 5/23/2018, 164 or a little more than 75% of the DMA's have been updated.
    Great progress on new markets last month.
    One big or a couple of medium sized updates could finish the project.

Updates have come in pulses. With last month's 2 good new market updates it may be a few months before the next wave.
    Then again, with the finish line in site, maybe a quick turn-around will see the end!

Interestingly some but not all of the 12 Unserved (by LIL) tiny markets have seen OTA channel updates.

Still no full blown signs that an OTA adapter is in Directv's long range plans.

I hope that if all goes well with T16 satellite launch in a bit more than 2 weeks and "testing" shows full functionality the long range plans will somewhat more quickly come to light!!

Just my 2 cents worth

Doctor j

Edgecutter
    Hope they go back and update more, the week after my market was updated my local NBC added 2 new sub channels.