Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: OTA Channel Database

Today's TPN Map Analysis Excel lists 124 OTA channels which have been upgraded in the past week.

It's time to re-scan ......

Edgecutter
    The Burlington, VT DMA is missing one channel in the database (WCAXDT4 Start TV) which was added to WCAX like 2 days after Directv updated the database for Burlington. I hope to see it soon. Just one!

Edgecutter
    Still missing WITN DT 7.4 Start TV and WITN DT 7.5 In the Greenville NC market, these stations were added back in the spring. Have had a ota update and still missing.

I'm sure this is just an error with the spreadsheet but WCHSDT 8.1 & WCHSDT2 8.2 for the Charleston-Huntington, WV DMA have the old RF # listed (49) while WCHSDT3 8.3 and WCHSDT4 8.4 have the correct RF # listed (29) this has no impact with AM21 and LCC as they both are pulling all WCHSDT subchannels via RF 29 in the guide I think because they all work correctly (LCC connected to my HR44 / AM21N connected to my HR24).

#PlanToRescan Updates
    * October 1, 2019 - WSAZDT-NBC moves from RF 23 to RF 22 while WQCWDT-CW will move from RF 17 to RF 15. At some point during the transition both stations will operate under a STA at a lower power. Hopefully when D* updates the database they will add WQCWDT2 - Heroes & Icons and WQCWDT3 - Start TV to the database as well.
    * October 18, 2019 - WLPXDT-ION moves from RF 39 to RF 18.
    * No word on WVAH-Fox, WKPI-PBS and WKAS-PBS yet however the Phase 6 deadline is October 18, 2019.
    * WOWK-CBS, WVPB-PBS and WSTF-DAY are part of Phase 10 that will move in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by techguy88 View Post
    I'm sure this is just an error with the spreadsheet but WCHSDT 8.1 & WCHSDT2 8.2 for the Charleston-Huntington, WV DMA have the old RF # listed (49) while WCHSDT3 8.3 and WCHSDT4 8.4 have the correct RF # listed (29) this has no impact with AM21 and LCC as they both are pulling all WCHSDT subchannels via RF 29 in the guide I think because they all work correctly (LCC connected to my HR44 / AM21N connected to my HR24).
    That is very interesting. I checked the APG data for your DMA again this morning, live from the satellite, to verify. It still has WCHSDT 8.1 and 8.2 on RF channel 41; 8.3 and 8.4 on RF channel 29. If you are able to tune those with your AM21 and LCC, then one of two possible things is happening. Either we don't understand how these OTA records work with the AM21 and LCC, or the station is still transmitting on both RF channels.
    Tom Speer, N2HF, the curious otter. Part of the DataDigesters team.

Edgecutter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Speer View Post
    That is very interesting. I checked the APG data for your DMA again this morning, live from the satellite, to verify. It still has WCHSDT 8.1 and 8.2 on RF channel 41; 8.3 and 8.4 on RF channel 29. If you are able to tune those with your AM21 and LCC, then one of two possible things is happening. Either we don't understand how these OTA records work with the AM21 and LCC, or the station is still transmitting on both RF channels.
    For a long time, the RF records don't really mean anything. As long as the AM21/LCC matches the PSIP channel, it will show. That's how we were able to force in zips to show out-of-market listings to fill in the missing listings before they updated the database. They could completely get rid of the RF field and it would still work as far as I am concerned.

On the same note, it WILL match the RF channel if nothing else if found and show some screwy things if they don't have it in there correctly sometimes. Another reason to just get rid of it.

A few years ago a firmware update changed it so it can match on major-minor or rf-minor. Not only does that ability help with the repack, but it already helped with things like translators and weird split subchannel cases that Gracenote doesn't handle properly. (i.e. how some of the Fox/MyNet O&O's split their subchannels)

Remember only the HR44 and HR54 can display unmatched channels, so rf-minor is still a nice trick used to get missing channels added to Hx2xs and HR34s for things that won't be included in the database like class A/LP stations and Canadian border stations, along with oddball LP stations that use virtual 1 or 37.

The latest round of updates are automated updates from when Gracenote did their mass RF number updates for each phase of the repack. However ever since they started the expansion, it looks like it's only applying updates to stations that have have the fake TMS_IDs, while those with real TMS_IDs below 65535 haven't been touched at all.
    It would also explain why Philly has some weird issues like 2-1 still being listed as KJWPDT while their newly added subchannels have the WDPNDTx labels, or why the expansion skipped some recently reactivated subchannels that have real TMS_IDs below 65535 like WLVTDT2, WNJSDT2 and WNJTDT2.
    Last edited by kyl416; 09-14-2019 at 06:45 PM.

Thank you, ejb1980 and kyl416, for the explanation. Maybe "we" was too inclusive, I certainly didn't understand how the OTA receivers used that data. But, I have never used an LCC or AM21, but I hope to acquire a LCC by November. The Bottom line is that we are reporting the data as it exists, it just isn't used as I and some others thought.
    Tom Speer, N2HF, the curious otter. Part of the DataDigesters team.

Thanks Tom Speer, ejb1980 and kyl416 for all of that Makes more sense now especially how on my HR24 + AM21N I'm able to use the zip 38103 to use the Memphis, TN WLMTDT2 30.2 and WLMTDT3 30.3 subchannels to watch new digital subchannels that were added to my local WQCW 30 station