Thread: Major Broadcasters Sue TV Streaming Nonprofit Locast

Major Broadcasters Sue TV Streaming Nonprofit Locast

The four major broadcast networks have filed a lawsuit against Locast, a New York-based nonprofit that streams local broadcast programming over the internet. In their lawsuit, ABC, CBS, NBC Universal and Fox allege that Locast violates their copyrights by retransmitting their programming without permission and compensation, likening it to Aereo, the TV retransmission startup that shut down in 2014 as the result of a similar lawsuit.
    More at (link): Broadcasters Sue TV Streaming Startup Locast, Calling it Variety
    Last edited by alnielsen; 07-31-2019 at 07:35 PM.
    DirecTV subscriber since 1999

W9ALN

FWIW, just tried the Locast app on my iPhone and it works great. I'm in a suburb of NYC and it gets all the major broadcast networks plus a few extras. A total of 14 english language channels and 3 spanish language channels.

Not sure why the networks are suing, since I'm forced to watch commercials, just like watching OTA.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Not sure why the networks are suing, since I'm forced to watch commercials, just like watching OTA.

Greed, plain and simple. In todays world large companies want to squeeze every penny then can get their hands on. Just like the number one reason why we can't stream DTV on our streaming devices is because AT&T can't collect the $7 box rental, IMO.

Edgecutter
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    ...Not sure why the networks are suing, since I'm forced to watch commercials, just like watching OTA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookemfins View Post
    Greed, plain and simple. In todays world large companies want to squeeze every penny then can get their hands on. Just like the number one reason why we can't stream DTV on our streaming devices is because AT&T can't collect the $7 box rental, IMO.
    The more eyes on the broadcast at one time meant the more advertisers can be charged, but that is apparently too much effort these days.

(And because they're idiots!)
    DIRECTV since April 2000 (and now, due to account migration, AT&T DirecTV since April 2019). HR44-500, HR24-500 (x2), C51-100 and SlimLine stub mount with 3D2RBLNBR0-01.

I downloaded locast. Phoenix is not a locast DMA yet.

Hello Everyone,
    If I can put it politely the major broadcasters are greedy sob's! Hope that they lose the lawsuit. The same could have happened to catv. If that did happen where would TV be now?
    Yours,
    caseyf5