Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: YES! Thursday Night NFL in 4K

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kocourek View Post
    Even more interesting...
    At least in theory, FOX broadcasting upconverted native 1080p/HDR to 4k/HDR shouldn't look any better than my Sony display upconverting native 1080p/HDR to 4k/HDR, IMHO. I'm guessing they're just doing this to work out the mechanics of broadcasting higher bandwidth data, before they deploy 4k cameras at the stadiums.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    At least in theory, FOX broadcasting upconverted native 1080p/HDR to 4k/HDR shouldn't look any better than my Sony display upconverting native 1080p/HDR to 4k/HDR, IMHO. I'm guessing they're just doing this to work out the mechanics of broadcasting higher bandwidth data, before they deploy 4k cameras at the stadiums.
    Except they would be upconverting the 1080p/60 and by the time it gets to us it would be 1080i/60 and then our sets take over.

I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kocourek View Post
    Except they would be upconverting the 1080p/60 and by the time it gets to us it would be 1080i/60 and then our sets take over.

I think.
    Good point. If so, then motion might be a little clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    It would only look the same as your TV upconverting if they used the same ~30 Mbps HEVC for 1080p. That far far higher bandwidth is why it looks so much better than 720p/1080i, even though there is little difference in the resolution. If you could get a 30 Mbps HEVC 720p HDR broadcast and let your TV upgrade it, I'm sure it would look nearly as good.

Maybe they're working out the mechanics of doing real 4K, but IMHO more likely they don't have any intention of doing real 4K. The difference wouldn't be all that great - not enough of an improvement to justify that investment until the 1080p HD equipment they have is ready for replacement.

"Other options to watch these games include NFL digital properties, and on mobile via Yahoo Sports and other Verizon Media properties. Fox Thursday Night Football games will also be available to stream on Amazon via Prime Video and Twitch, in addition to NFL, Fox, and Fox Deportes digital properties across devices."

Thought so. That says the games can be streamed using a few different apps (Other options), but not all are 4k - including Amazon Prime. AP is not streaming the games in 4k. The only app doing so is the Fox Sports app on selected devices. As a matter of fact, for the first game the Fox Sports app didn't do 4k either.