Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Now we might lose Sinclair group stations

Person Non Gratis

Now we might lose Sinclair group stations

https://seekingalpha.com/news/350080...p=1#email_link

If that happens that's our CBS station in Austin (after having lost NBC in the Nexstar dispute). And another chance where DIRECTV could help mitigate the problem by supporting the LCC on the HS17 but refuses too.

I have to wonder that when the HS17 design decisions were made that Dtv omitted something in the hardware on support OTA. Like omitting the HDMI output. It was was short sighted. The year ago rumored HS27 allegedly will support OTA so it may be a hardware limitation.

Not supporting the HS17 seems to be more than they just dont want to. It hurts their bargaining position.

Quote Originally Posted by NR4P View Post
    I have to wonder that when the HS17 design decisions were made that Dtv omitted something in the hardware on support OTA. Like omitting the HDMI output. It was was short sighted. The year ago rumored HS27 allegedly will support OTA so it may be a hardware limitation.

Not supporting the HS17 seems to be more than they just dont want to. It hurts their bargaining position.
    I havent seen anything alleging the HS27 would support OTA. Only thing I ever saw about it was in the C71k original manual which as we know now they changed that.... There really is no reason the HS17 cant support OTA.. Just laziness on the engineering part to not write a driver

Whenever they come to a deal, it should return the stations owned by Sinclair's shell companies like Deerfield Media, GoCom Media, Mercury Broadcasting Company, MPS Media, Nashville License Holdings, Howard Stirk Holdings, Roberts Media, Second Generation of Iowa and Waitt Broadcasting.

Well this is new first time I have seen AT&T/D* put the Alert channel/message on sub-channel x-9. I'm guessing this is so the satellite feed wouldn't block the antenna signal from the LCC/AM21 on x-1 for those who have them hooked up. Not sure if my market is unique or if this was done to all Sinclair O&O markets.

SinclairATT.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by NR4P View Post

There isn't anything they could "leave out" from the HS17 that would make it not support an LCC, unless they left out the USB port or the one that's included is not fully functional for some reason (i.e. if it was a USB pinout but was actually TTL serial for diagnostics) Can someone who has one confirm that it says "USB" or has that weird USB symbol/logo by the port? If it wasn't a real USB port it couldn't be marked as such either on the back on the unit or in the manual you get with it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspot View Post
    I havent seen anything alleging the HS27 would support OTA. Only thing I ever saw about it was in the C71k original manual which as we know now they changed that.... There really is no reason the HS17 cant support OTA.. Just laziness on the engineering part to not write a driver
    When we first heard of the LCC (about two years ago) it was from someone posting an internal Directv memo of some sort which indicated that support for it on the HS27 & HS37 would be coming as part of the DFW Project. Since we haven't seen an HS27 yet, let alone an HS37, plans have probably changed.

One key difference between the HR44/HR54 and HS17 is that the HS17 uses an ARM CPU, all the older stuff uses a MIPS CPU. It could be as simple as not having a driver available for ARM, and not being willing to pay the OEM of the LCC to write an ARM driver.

Quote Originally Posted by techguy88 View Post
    Well this is new first time I have seen AT&T/D* put the Alert channel/message on sub-channel x-9. I'm guessing this is so the satellite feed wouldn't block the antenna signal from the LCC/AM21 on x-1 for those who have them hooked up. Not sure if my market is unique or if this was done to all Sinclair O&O markets.

SinclairATT.jpg
    I am seeing a similar channel / message regarding the FOX and MNT stations in the Nashville, TN area. When I go to that channel, it contains a script that they are disappointed that Sinclair has put the customer in the middle of negotiations by threatening to remove their channels from my TV lineup. It goes on to say that they are on the side of consumer choice, and that they are working behind the scenes with Sinclair to prevent any interruption to my TV stations. The last sentence of the script suggests that customers visit their tvpromise.com page for more information.
    Cheers,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by kyl416 View Post
    Whenever they come to a deal, it should return the stations owned by Sinclair's shell companies like Deerfield Media, GoCom Media, Mercury Broadcasting Company, MPS Media, Nashville License Holdings, Howard Stirk Holdings, Roberts Media, Second Generation of Iowa and Waitt Broadcasting.
    Sinclair has more shells than Clearwater Beach.

Yeah, Sinclair has a history of exploiting loopholes to exceed the station cap. They have shell companies that have the licenses while they still operate the stations. Along with using shell companies to own licenses that previously housed a network affiliate, move the affiliation and its syndicated programming to a subchannel of a station they do own or a LP station so it doesn't count against the cap, and have that shell company conveniently opt not to choose must carry status or enter retrans deals to eliminate themselves as competition on cable and satellite.

And in many cases have the channel keep its branding and cable number so the average cable viewer doesn't know the difference, while they have no choice but to move to an alternative number on satellite. i.e. in Birmingham, ABC 33/40 is now on 58-1 WBMA-LD and a subchannel of 68-2 WABM, which DirecTV carries on channel 67, while 33-1 and 40-1 are now Howard Stirk Holdings owned Heroes & Icons affiliates without any satellite carriage and little cable carriage.

These shell licenses could have likely found non-Sinclair buyers that could have brought seperate news divisions and other things to these markets...if Sinclair actually sold the entire station instead of keeping the major network affiliation and top tier syndicated content to themselves and only selling the license.
    Last edited by kyl416; 09-21-2019 at 06:26 PM.