Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Edgecutter Exclusive Review: DIRECTV 21-tuner "3D2" SWM LNB

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    Not without a policy change. The original policy was set because the client/genie association could get scrambled with 2 Genies. Why the policy has been made even tighter (no receivers of any kind with a HS17) only DirecTV knows and they are not sharing.
    My thinking is $ cost - That policy allows them to dump a lot of older product support in the field moving forward in time is always the case

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Speer View Post
    I believe it is a matter of controlling account sharing. With multiple Genies per account, it is too easy for two close neighbors to share an account, in apartments or other close proximity.
    I fail to see how a genie system makes it any easier than it ever was before...

I think they just do not want to spend the money to make it possible on their end, and has nothing to do with cost of equipment or anything else of that nature.

Edgecutter
    If it is money, then stipulate if you want a second Genie you must purchase it yourself.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by dogbreath View Post
    If it is money, then stipulate if you want a second Genie you must purchase it yourself.
    I do not think its money on hardware, i think its the money they would have to spend on their software,

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    Not without a policy change. The original policy was set because the client/genie association could get scrambled with 2 Genies. Why the policy has been made even tighter (no receivers of any kind with a HS17) only DirecTV knows and they are not sharing.
    Sound like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.
    Drew
    Do It Right, Do It Once
    HR54-700, HR24-100, HR24-200, HR24-500, H25-500

I think you all are overthinking it, and Drucifer, I think you're off base here.

The overarching majority of policy decisions of this type are made by comparing the expected increase in revenue to the cost of support. People who want multiple Genies in the home, or who want more than 7 rooms of DIRECTV and Genie features, are extremely expensive to support and there aren't that many of them.

Keep telling yourself, 26 million subscribers. You guys are .0015% of the total DIRECTV population. Even if 5,000 people want multiple Genies, that's about .01% of the DIRECTV population.

The cost of modifying the hardware and software to eliminate the issues with support is just too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Sweet View Post
    I think you all are overthinking it, and Drucifer, I think you're off base here.

The overarching majority of policy decisions of this type are made by comparing the expected increase in revenue to the cost of support. People who want multiple Genies in the home, or who want more than 7 rooms of DIRECTV and Genie features, are extremely expensive to support and there aren't that many of them.

Keep telling yourself, 26 million subscribers. You guys are .0015% of the total DIRECTV population. Even if 5,000 people want multiple Genies, that's about .01% of the DIRECTV population.

The cost of modifying the hardware and software to eliminate the issues with support is just too high.
    So what's the problem then? They expect all 5K ain't going to know how to work multiple Genes?

Why develop a 21-Tuner LNB and then develop a top of their line home system that max out at one third of the LNB capabilities?
    Drew
    Do It Right, Do It Once
    HR54-700, HR24-100, HR24-200, HR24-500, H25-500

Well, since you asked...

This LNB has already been discontinued. So let's start there. The current LNB is the Reverse Band 3, which officially supports 13 tuners but has the same SWM chip as this discontinued LNB. It turns out this 21-tuner LNB was a platypus on the DIRECTV evolutionary ladder.

The plan all along has been a streamlined install with HS17, Reverse Band 3 LNB, and clients. No power inserter needed, no external multiswitch, no DECA, no wireless video bridge.

And yes, given the problems that multiple Genies cause in a system, especially with the HS17, I would expect most of those 5,000 to have problems.

Folks, I'm sorry. I know it would be great if DIRECTV were still a niche company that really wanted to please 5,000 people, but it isn't. Neither is DISH, although they're more of a niche company than DIRECTV is.

The simple fact is that it was the plan all along to come up with a product line that simplified installs, reduced extra equipment options, got techs in and out quickly, and cut down the volume of phone calls while allowing the quality of service on those calls to rise.

The 3D2 wasn't the part that let them do that. The 3D2RB, combined with HS17, is. 7 rooms of DIRECTV. Fewer black boxes that people could inadvertently unplug. As much wireless hardware as possible. Not only is that what DIRECTV wants, it's what roughly 99.99% of residential customers want.

If you're grousing and grumbling, at least count your blessings that this didn't happen sooner. The HR34 was originally going to be a solution where you couldn't have other receivers on the account. They couldn't make that work and so we got 6 extra years of choices.

Sorry Drew, I know you're not one of the majority, but these are simply the facts.

Well, since you asked...

This LNB has already been discontinued. So let's start there. The current LNB is the Reverse Band 3, which officially supports 13 tuners but has the same SWM chip as this discontinued LNB. It turns out this 21-tuner LNB was a platypus on the DIRECTV evolutionary ladder.

The plan all along has been a streamlined install with HS17, Reverse Band 3 LNB, and clients. No power inserter needed, no external multiswitch, no DECA, no wireless video bridge.

And yes, given the problems that multiple Genies cause in a system, especially with the HS17, I would expect most of those 5,000 to have problems.

Folks, I'm sorry. I know it would be great if DIRECTV were still a niche company that really wanted to please 5,000 people, but it isn't. Neither is DISH, although they're more of a niche company than DIRECTV is.

The simple fact is that it was the plan all along to come up with a product line that simplified installs, reduced extra equipment options, got techs in and out quickly, and cut down the volume of phone calls while allowing the quality of service on those calls to rise.

The 3D2 wasn't the part that let them do that. The 3D2RB, combined with HS17, is. 7 rooms of DIRECTV. Fewer black boxes that people could inadvertently unplug. As much wireless hardware as possible. Not only is that what DIRECTV wants, it's what roughly 99.99% of residential customers want.

If you're grousing and grumbling, at least count your blessings that this didn't happen sooner. The HR34 was originally going to be a solution where you couldn't have other receivers on the account. They couldn't make that work and so we got 6 extra years of choices.

Sorry Drew, I know you're not one of the majority, but these are simply the facts.
    Hello Stuart Sweet, I see the logic of reducing the hardware and the simplicity of installations but relying on wireless (an easily hackable technology) is not the best nor the brightest idea. No company nor the governments of the world have been able to stop wireless hacking. This will be an ongoing problem for the foreseeable future!!!!!!!! One of the problems with a restricted hardware operation is the need for more content than this hardware allows. Using the internet to fill in will work for some but not for others as the internet hasn't increased enough capacity in many parts of the US. Verizon still maintains a 1 mb internet which they laughingly refer to as "high speed"!!!!! What use is that speed. Fiber could allow greater capacity and speed but $$$$$$$$$$$$$ stops it in too many locations especially in rural areas. Google is questionable as to any more fiber in more cities. Our government wants private companies to do the job and the private companies want the $$$$$$$ coming in before they even, if ever, start the project!!!!!! Private companies want the government to keep out of installing fiber so the famous CATCH-22 rears its ugly head!!!!!!!

Well, since you asked...

And with this, they will essentially be another cable company. Well, scratch that, a cable company without an effective bundling solution for many. Doesn't seem like a solid long-term strategy.

Man, am I glad i ran to get an HR54 when i did. 4K and more standalone tuners. Life is good.