Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Genie Remote (Peanut)

New Genie Remote (Peanut)

I searched back about 7 months and didn't see any threads on this topic -- please redirect me if I missed it or point me to a better forum (though the edgecutter talent base is pretty much the best around).

I commented in my "fumbling" thread that my older RF remote would no long RF with my new Genie HR54-200. A couple of replies said what I also found out from an informed Directv tech support person -- the new Genies and the new mini-Genies both require the new remote (Dad said it is a RC7x). I've seen/heard it called the Peanut.

Anyway, so a new one is on the way for the HR54 and we already have one for our mini-Genie. I think the layout is different, but fine, and the Directv programmers were pretty ingenious about setting up the operation. I haven't found any function to be truly lost, but that's pretty much why I'm here. I haven't seen any manual for the new remote, and operation is pretty much as I can stumble on things (in my fumbling around).

NR4P (Dad) said there is no STOP button -- true, but is seems that the BACK button (left arrow) effectively does the same thing. He also commented that there is limited control for other devices -- true, the old remote was rather complete with that.

bobnielson said there is no POWER button (which got only rare use from me) and that the Directv instructions haven't been updated to reflect that.

I fumblingly discovered last evening that the ENTER button when pressed on a full screen, brings up the single line Guide like the blue button used to. I liked that feature so that's good for me.

In general, I like the feel, size layout and operation of the new remote. I think it makes most operations easier to manage without fumbling for positioning, and I especially like the new volume and paging switches.

Are there any other discoveries, thoughts or suggestions for me to take this discussion elsewhere?

Ok, with enough (took way too much) searching, I did find some threads on DBSTalk about this remote. So in case anyone gets here and hasn't already found answers, this is what I found from peds48 :

About most all that can be done with those colors buttons an be done with the RC71/2/3

Mini guide - press ENTER button
    Yellow while watching TV - press INFO
    Audio options - under INFO banner (green button)

While on LIST

-- Yellow is the DASH
    -- BLUE is ENTER
    -- RED remains RED

While on GUIDE

-- Yellow is DASH
    -- Use REW and FF to move the GUIDE

And in addition from me and others who posted, for slow motion, hold the Play button down until hell freezes over and hopefully you will eventually get something that vaguely resembles slow motion but really is just a minor change in speed.

richlife69, hello from northeast NC. Count me as one of the few I guess, but after using this remote for a year or so, I have really come to liking it over the old remote. The smaller size fits me nicely and have found the buttons to be laid out to my liking as well. Like you, I especially like the new volume and channel buttons. Us seniors don't need anymore complications in or activities.
    Last edited by Malibu13; 01-18-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Another thing missing is if you are watching something and want to see the time remaining, before you could press play and the progress bar pops up but the content plays.

Now you have to pause it to see get the timeline to show.

Quote Originally Posted by NR4P View Post
    Another thing missing is if you are watching something and want to see the time remaining, before you could press play and the progress bar pops up but the content plays.

Now, that is one function I don't like about it.

When I placed my HR44 in a location where I needed to control it from two rooms, I started using a RC71 and RC73 remote. I have come to like it, in a simple TV and HR44 setup. For my main viewing area, the control for DirecTV,TV,AVR,Roku,And Blu-Ray requires a Logitech Harmony 700 (+ a 650 spare) and IR control.
    Tom Speer, N2HF, Part of the DataDigesters team. A Migratory Common Loon

I'd be lost without my Harmony but I do use the DirecTV remote quite often too.

Quote Originally Posted by NR4P View Post

Granted -- so you need to make one extra click to continue. I fall back on Malibu13's comment, "Us seniors don't need anymore complications in our activities." The pause gives me time to focus.

Unfortunately, they didn't fix what I consider one of the worst remote changes Directv ever made. I forget how many years ago it was that some d-a decided to eliminate the one-click "To Do List". Now it takes seven clicks to check whether a program I want recorded is scheduled. Because Directv is rather unreliable scheduling its "automatic" recordings (specifically, record my Team Favorites, damn it!), I need to check if I want to be sure of seeing it. In addition, on occasion I forget whether I actually scheduled something. But Directv never paid attention to that beef any more than the "fast slo-mo" beef.

Quote Originally Posted by richlife69 View Post
    Granted -- so you need to make one extra click to continue. I fall back on Malibu13's comment, "Us seniors don't need anymore complications in our activities." The pause gives me time to focus.

Unfortunately, they didn't fix what I consider one of the worst remote changes Directv ever made. I forget how many years ago it was that some d-a decided to eliminate the one-click "To Do List". Now it takes seven clicks to check whether a program I want recorded is scheduled. Because Directv is rather unreliable scheduling its "automatic" recordings (specifically, record my Team Favorites, damn it!), I need to check if I want to be sure of seeing it. In addition, on occasion I forget whether I actually scheduled something. But Directv never paid attention to that beef any more than the "fast slo-mo" beef.
    I gave up complaining about the To Do list a long time ago, sadly. It became obvious that they weren't gonna fix it and I just gave up.

Rich

I haven't used the RC73 that came with my 44 for...since I got it, really. I don't even use the 44 as a DVR, I use a 24-100 that sits under it and understands what a 30 second click is and how to properly use it (without the progress bar) and also allows me to get a 6 second back click. Shame of it is, the HR44-500 works perfectly, with imperfect software.

Rich