Page 158 of 172 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 1715

Thread: Transponder Maps ~ Data 1/22/2020

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Toma View Post
    Error included:
    Today's data shows JLTV/325 with no TID, VPID or TPN. The previous JLTV/366 has been removed, as expected. It also shows JLTV/325 duplicating FRESH/325, a shopping channel. It appears our morning data captured the transition of JLTV from channel 366 to channel 325 while it was in progress.
    FRESH is still on 325. JLTV moved to 325-1 and that happened on Monday. It's on the same physical slot as it was when it was on 366: D12 TPN 23, VPID 1070.

I think it might be a processing issue with some of the subchannels, like many of the *ALERTS channels have blank NOTES values in the maps when they should have something like "Important information about your ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox station" in the NOTES_1 field, and all three of the Offline Ku Fox College Sports channels are listed as channel 608 instead of 608, 608-1 and 608-2
    Last edited by kyl416; 10-30-2019 at 10:47 PM.

We clearly have an error in the processing of this sub-channel record and possibly in the reporting of other National sub-channels. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by slice1900 View Post
    I'm still skeptical of the idea they will bond across three transponders, since the only public statements they've made about it stated it would be across two. They have no need of bonding for many years, until there are several dozen 4K channels. My money now is on there never being that many, so we will never see them doing transponder bonding.

Regardless of all that, they don't have room for ten 4K channels in three transponders. That allows for only 12 Mbps per 4K channel. Their previous announcements indicated 30 Mbps per 4K channel. That would be a huge cutback in PQ, and for no reason since it isn't like there are a bunch of 4K channels waiting to go live.
    I really think the three transponder bonding originated on an assumption that DIRECTV receiver engineering would not design such an inefficient method of allocating the tuners for bonded transponder reception by wastefully dropping the possible use of one single bandwidth channel tuner whenever a double bandwidth channel bonded tuner is in use.

Which results in up to either 5 single BW channel tuners or 4 single plus 1 double BW bonded channel tuner for the HR54.

And either 7 standard tuner chs., or up to 5 single plus 2 double BW bonded tuner channels for the Genie 2 (HS17).

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Toma View Post
    We clearly have an error in the processing of this sub-channel record and possibly in the reporting of other National sub-channels. Stay tuned.
    The JLTV APG record had a tag type of 0x60 in the ACO header, something we had not encountered before. The information contained in the tag was the same as normally contained in tag 0xE0. That looks suspiciously like a dropped bit, or we don't understand the significance of that bit.
    Anyway, our brilliant team member who handles the software for decoding the binary satellite metadata, has fixed the software to decode the new tag. I have updated the tpngrids and the pidcount.xlsx sheets in the Satellite Transponder Information forum. The chart that Doctor J posted above is off by one in the count of A3 SD National Channels. Hopefully, Gary can find the time to update the TPN map today.
    Tom Speer, N2HF, Part of the DataDigesters team. A Migratory Common Loon

Quote Originally Posted by HoTat2 View Post
    I really think the three transponder bonding originated on an assumption that DIRECTV receiver engineering would not design such an inefficient method of allocating the tuners for bonded transponder reception by wastefully dropping the possible use of one single bandwidth channel tuner whenever a double bandwidth channel bonded tuner is in use.

Which results in up to either 5 single BW channel tuners or 4 single plus 1 double BW bonded channel tuner for the HR54.

And either 7 standard tuner chs., or up to 5 single plus 2 double BW bonded tuner channels for the Genie 2 (HS17).
    Since they have to use software bonding on the older (first rev HR54 & HS17, the revisions use DVB-S2X chips) I think they may have no choice in that "inefficiency". The way the tuner chips normally work is that they demodulate the whole transponder, and then pick up the selected PIDs. To handle bonded transponders in software Directv's firmware would need access to the entire demodulated transponder. That may be sort of an "all or nothing" proposition.

Not entirely discounting the possibility of bonding three transponders, I just don't accept that's what they are doing based solely on the way the HR54 and HS17 seem to work which is the only thing anyone can point to. There's obviously more going on we don't understand - i.e. the two 4K stream limit on the HS17 despite having enough hardware tuners allocating the way you suggest to simultaneously receive four bonded 4K channels. I'm pretty sure that limit of two is artificial, but exactly what the reason is behind it I don't know.

Interestingly, on satelliteguys a Dish subscriber mentioned a limit of 4K channels for the Hopper 3. I think he said it could only do two of them, or maybe it was four. But it definitely wasn't 16, and I have a hard time understanding why it couldn't receive 16 at once. MoCA limitations may play into it, but the Hopper 3 was designed recently enough to use MoCA 2.0 - not sure if it actually does but if it does then that's obviously not the reason.

Weekly Analysis of the 10/30/2019 Data

This is the "A" version; a second run of the 10/30 data using the updated software. There are no significant changes from yesterday.

An "A" version of the TPN Map has also been posted.

The attached Analysis Excel provides Complete Change Detail
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Gary Toma; 11-03-2019 at 05:37 AM.

SAT 119 SD LILs removed this AM from:
    MKT 13 Bakersfield , CA (5 channels
    MKT 59 El Paso, TX 12 channels
    MKT170 Santa Barbara, CA 6 channels

Full report likely tomorrow with weekly update

Doctor j

DirecTV Satellite Transponder Updates for Nov 06 2019

Newly updated tables of Streams on each transponder are available in the DataDigesters TPN Grids

Comparison of Transponder Data for Nov 06 2019 vs Oct 30 2019:

No changes in system tables for any transponder tuning parameters.

Changes to the use of defined transponders:
    1 Transponder placed in service:
    Net 14 TID 181 is a Spot Beam Transponder on D12@103s, TPN 24 Beam A2BC

Stream (PID) counts:

Streams (PIDs) National Spot Beam
    Count Change Count Change
    4K Live 3
    HD Live 267 1403
    A3 SD Live 138 194
    DSS SD Live 408 883 -23
    RB Live 151
    Audio 111

Push 23
    4K Test
    HD Test
    A3 SD Test 1
    DSS SD Test 3
    RB Test 1
    Engr Work 174 7 7 7

The PID count Excel workbook provides much more detail.

More details of changes in individual channels will follow in Gary Toma's Weekly Analysis and Domestic TPN Map Excel files.
    Will complete reports of changes since last week
    See above re SAT 119 SD LIL channel shutdown

Final report soon
    Enjoy
    Your DataDigesters
    DataDigesters is a team effort of Doctor J and Tom Speer, cooperating to bring you the weekly data,

Weekly Analysis of the 11/6/2019 Data

Sorry to be so late posting today.

The attached Analysis Excel provides Complete Change Detail
    Attached Files Attached Files

DirecTV Satellite Transponder Updates for Nov 13 2019

Newly updated tables of Streams on each transponder are available in the DataDigesters TPN Grids

Comparison of Transponder Data for Nov 13 2019 vs Nov 06 2019:

No changes in system tables for any transponder tuning parameters.

Stream (PID) counts:

4K Live 3
    HD Live 268 1 1403
    A3 SD Live 139 1 194
    DSS SD Live 408 883
    RB Live 151
    Audio 111

Push 23
    4K Test
    HD Test
    A3 SD Test 1
    DSS SD Test 3
    RB Test 1
    Engr Work 173 -1 7

The PID count Excel workbook provides much more detail.

More details of changes in individual channels will follow in Gary Toma's Weekly Analysis and Domestic TPN Map Excel files.

99 *TEST Channels for PR on D15
    Will see how this plays out with rearrangement

Full report later
    your
    DataDigesters
    DataDigesters is a team effort of Doctor J and Tom Speer, cooperating to bring you the weekly data,