Page 150 of 156 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152 ... LastLast
Results 1,491 to 1,500 of 1554

Thread: Transponder Maps ~ Data 10/16/2019

So to sum up;

If all these latest local spotbeam tps. and beams on 119W meet their scheduled turn-offs.

Of the original 37 active spotbeam tps. into 28 spotbeams on T7S (not inc'l the one unused beam into a part of CO.). What will the total active spotbeam tp./beam count be down to by 10/15?

Quote Originally Posted by HoTat2 View Post
    So to sum up;

If all these latest local spotbeam tps. and beams on 119W meet their scheduled turn-offs.

Of the original 37 active spotbeam tps. into 28 spotbeams on T7S (not inc'l the one unused beam into a part of CO.). What will the total active spotbeam tp./beam count be down to by 10/15?
    As of Today, there are 37 active spot beam transponders on D7S. If the schedule that they have announced in the alerts, so far, is completed, then two of them will be unused, perhaps 3, if Medford is included. The easiest way to see this is in the weekly Spot_Beam_tpngrid spreadsheet we post each week here: Satellite Transponder Information
    Tom Speer, N2HF, the curious otter. Part of the DataDigesters team.

OTA update this AM.
    Partially related to FCC TV Repack Phase 5 scheduled for 9/6/2019.
    Will check later in week to see if further channel updates
    Doctor j

The attachment below is the detail of those 114 OTA channel updates discovered by Doctor J this morning.

The information is presented in our usual weekly analysis format.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have been focused on other tasks, for the past few months. But I recently reviewed all the FCC filings for the “dance of the satellites” to, from, and around 101. Two significant facts stand out to me:

First, in order to pick up the spot load of D4S, D9S had to move from 101.1 to 101.2. That is because they are using the same frequency/polarity channels to uplink spotbeams from LA and Castle Rock, as they are using from the same areas to feed National Transponders. For example, 17382.32 MHz RHCP from the Los Angeles area is used to feed TPN 4 on beam BB24 for Memphis spots. From Castle Rock, it is used to feed TPN 4 on beam BB09 for Denver. The same frequency and polarity is used to feed D8 originally, and now D15 (T16 soon) for the National transponder on TPN3, That means that those big uplink dishes can resolve the roughly 25 mile (plus or minus) distance between 100.85 and 101.2.

The second thing that stands out is that during the transfer of D9S to 101.2, the FCC filing indicated that nothing on D9S would be active, except for the command and telemetry links. That means that by about July 24, 2019, all National Transponders at 101 were on D15. I doubt they were put back on D9S.

The DataDigesters team, including Doctor J and Gary Toma, and me , have concluded that we can safely assume that all National beams will be coming from D15 or T16 at 100.85, and the spot beams from D9S at 101.2. That will be reflected in this weeks TPN maps and other coming weekly analyses.
    Last edited by Tom Speer; 09-10-2019 at 01:47 AM.

Yep;

I think the DBS uplink dishes at the LABC and CRBC (around 11m) can resolve to within less than a .1° at the Clarke belt.

And while I see the latter view as a reasonable assumption, I just wish we could get confirmation from someone in PR or the USVI to see if their even numbered national tps. at 101W have signal levels now ...

So far no word from any sub. there who have posted on the forums that I know of ...

Yep;

I think the DBS uplink dishes at the LABC and CRBC (around 11m) can resolve to within less than a .1° at the Clarke belt.

And while I see the latter view as a reasonable assumption, I just wish we could get confirmation from someone in PR or the USVI to see if their even numbered national tps. at 101W have signal levels now ...

So far no word from any sub. there who have posted on the forums that I know of ...

If they no longer can see them, they wouldn't have any reason to come to this forum anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by slice1900 View Post
    If they no longer can see them, they wouldn't have any reason to come to this forum anymore...
    What do you mean?

Why wouldn't any subs. in PR and the USVI (comparatively few though they may be) be able to see 101W any longer?

Yep;

I admit that I have not paid much attention to the Earth Stations (uplink facilities). The receive antenna patterns on the satellites certainly are not that selective, and will receive anything aimed at them from the general area of the uplink facilities. All of the 27 DirecTV Earth Stations licensed in California fall within the receive beam pattern for LA on all of the satellites. I have never even tried to distinguish the purpose of those individual Earth Stations.
    Maybe you can enlighten me, but I assume that the dishes they use to feed the National 101 transponders are physically separated from the ones feeding the spot beam transponders, since they are transmitting on the same uplink channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Speer View Post
    I admit that I have not paid much attention to the Earth Stations (uplink facilities). The receive antenna patterns on the satellites certainly are not that selective, and will receive anything aimed at them from the general area of the uplink facilities. All of the 27 DirecTV Earth Stations licensed in California fall within the receive beam pattern for LA on all of the satellites. I have never even tried to distinguish the purpose of those individual Earth Stations.
    Maybe you can enlighten me, but I assume that the dishes they use to feed the National 101 transponders are physically separated from the ones feeding the spot beam transponders, since they are transmitting on the same uplink channels.
    While I had hoped at one time the former DIRECTV engineer "inclined orbit" I had a long dialogue with would have been able to have confirmed it for me.

I'd always thought the principle involved had to be likened to a "two way street." Where both the earth station had to be within the receive beam footprint of the satellite, and the satellite itself in turn had to be within the footprint the earth station's transmit beam makes at the Clarke belt.

Therefore, if either one's uplink beam, earth station transmit or satellite's receive, falls outside the other one, then neither side can actually see each other.

So the physical distance between the earth stations on the ground transmitting on the same frequencies is not what's important, but that the different satellites they're aimed at are far enough apart and the earth stations' transmit beams narrow enough so the footprints the earth stations make do not overlap at the distance of the Clarke belt.

The problem is the above can be sort of hard to visualize by just looking at the coverage patterns of the uplink receive beam footprints of the satellite, which gives only half the picture needed for successful communication.