Channel 387 AWE/AWEHD is in *Test

Masters channels 702 -705 configured, still Offline
    MLB channels 719-749 SD/HD configured, still Offline

LOCAL INTO LOCAL

Three Markets have migrated from SW1 to D14
    119 Marquette
    150 Portland
    157 Reno
    [In the Analysis sheet, the SW1 channels are removed and D14 channels renamed from *Test to Active]

SW1 has only TPNs 1, 2, 3 and 4 active. Effective with this migration, only TPNs 1 and 2 are still in Domestic service. Only TPNs 2, 3 and 4 are active in Puerto Rico service.

The two remaining Domestic markets on SW1 are Beaumont, TX, on TPN 1 and Amarillo, TX, on TPN 2. The D14 *Test records for these markets have been in “Internal Test Record” status since 10/7/15, so these last two markets have been long prepared for migration.

Another 11 SW1 Puerto Rico channels for MLB have been remapped from Slate to Offline.

A Tom Speer quote: “I took a look at the band plan spreadsheet. Even if they leave Amarillo and Beaumont on SW1, the Domestic spectrum is now clear to enable D15 TPNs 5, 6, 7 and 8.”

See the attached Excel for Complete Change Details
    Last edited by Gary Toma; 04-03-2017 at 01:34 AM.

I take it that Tom's comment means that only SW1's lower freq. tp. pair 3/4 are still active along with pair 1/2, which is what clears the spectrum for Ka-hi tps. 5-8 from D15 to be available?

As it's a little confusing to determine available spectrum to just say that SW1's tps. 1, 2, 3, and 4 are still active without specifying whether pair 3/4 includes the high or lower freq. ones or both since those tp. numbers are repeated on SW1.

Quote Originally Posted by HoTat2 View Post
    I take it that Tom's comment means that only SW1's lower freq. tp. pair 3/4 are still active along with pair 1/2, which is what clears the spectrum for Ka-hi tps. 5-8 from D15 to be available?

As it's a little confusing to determine available spectrum to just say that SW1's tps. 1, 2, 3, and 4 are still active without specifying whether pair 3/4 includes the high or lower freq. ones or both since those tp. numbers are repeated on SW1.
    What I specifically said is that for the US Domestic market, excluding Puerto Rico, the only TIDs active on SW! currently are on the TPN 1 & 2 frequency pair, Centered at 19741.67 Mhz, LHCP and RHCP. That means that D15 TPNs 5-8 would not interfere, if they can shut off the PR beams from D15, which I think is possible.

Puerto Rico is currently using TID 35 (19,804.170 Mhz LHCP), TID 41 (19,804.170 Mhz RHCP), TID 45 (19,850.670 Mhz RHCP),and TID 47 (19,741,670 Mhz LHCP). Or in other words, SW1 TPNs 4(low), 3(low), 3(high), and 2.
    Tom Speer, N2HF, the curious otter. Part of the DataDigesters team.

Got it, thanks ...

As you say, if D15's PR spotbeam mirror can be turned off it's possible ....

And when the space way is shut down completely? Because I suspect that is coming soon.

Not so fast! Portland has been moved back to SW1. When I checked at 11:21 pm EDT Thursday, Portland LIL was back onto two transponders on SW1. DTV has a problem, There are nine HD LIL channels in the Portland DMA. There is only one spot beam transponder on D14 that covers Portland. When they switched everything to D14, they had all nine HD streams on one transponder. That may not have gone well.

Portland remains on SW1 TIDs 40 and 46 Friday morning. TID 46 demonstrates the extreme flexibility of SW1. Before Wednesday, it was carrying LILs for Portland, OR and Marquette, MI. This would indicate to me that they had configured the phased array antenna for that transponder to have two separate beams carrying the same signal. The PIDs for the two markets did not overlap.

Aren't there spot beams on either d11 or d12 that also hit Portland though? Even if not used at the monent.

I think D10 and/or D12 have spots that cover Portland. In the past, our locals were coming from one of those birds.

Also, when PDX locals were coming from D10/D12, they managed to put all nine on one transponder. I wonder what the problem is now...
    DIRECTV customer since '99

The problem is not just hitting the city of Portland, but the whole Portland DMA which covers a big chunk of the state of Oregon, and some adjacent counties in Washington. D14 beam B21L is capable of covering the whole Portland DMA with signals above 56 dBw, which is good for a rain prone area, and 5 to 6 dB stronger than the National beams in that area. The two other spot beams that are candidates for the Portland DMA are D11 beam A1BC, and D12 beam A2BC. While our knowledge of the contours of the beam footprints from D11 is less certain than D12, it is of little matter, because all of the transponders on D11 beam A1BC are rather full carrying stations from the Seattle-Tacoma and Yakima-Pasco-Richland-Kennewick DMAs, with only a little room for expansion.

D12 beam A2BC transponder TID 181 is currently unused (Thank you, Inkahauts), and could cover almost all of the Portland DMA, but would have a sub-standard signal strength in the SW half of Lincoln County. Our calculated footprint for D11 beam A1BC suffers from the same deficiency.

We will watch for further developments.

On the other hand, the Boise DMA on D12 A2BC is not completely covered either.