Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Satellite T16 Discussion

Satellite T16 Discussion

As I posted on satelliteguys ...

AT&T finally submitted FCC filing info. for the long anticipated T16 satellite ...

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....rC/File+Number

Description in the narrative looks it to be the same as T15.

But why assigned to 103W (102.7W specifically) I'm puzzled about what with T15's position at 101W supposedly temporary until sometime next year.

They obviously can't keep both T15 and T16 at 103W and accomplish the SD transition.

Hey Gary ....

Want to begin another pinned thread here?

So I as far as I can tell from skimming the narrative, this is a clone of T15 other than being able to operate 28 Ka transponders simultaneously instead of 24 like T15.

If it launches directly to 103 as plans indicate, I would expect Directv will end up leaving T15 at 101 and T16 at 103. Doesn't seem to be much point in swapping them back.

I'm a little bit surprised it didn't get at least a handful of spot beams - I guess they were able to fix the apparent coverage/capacity issues that kept them using SW2 for a few CONUS markets for so long, or they decided to simply accept those limitations.

Do we know who is contracted to launch it?
    DirecTV subscriber since 1999

W9ALN

Quote Originally Posted by alnielsen View Post
    Do we know who is contracted to launch it?
    Not yet, but probably Arianespace since they've done the last few. I would imagine someone will dig around and find it in a launch manifest pretty soon given that it is supposed to launch and be operational in less than six months.

Person Non Gratis
    Quote Originally Posted by slice1900 View Post
    Not yet, but probably Arianespace since they've done the last few. I would imagine someone will dig around and find it in a launch manifest pretty soon given that it is supposed to launch and be operational in less than six months.
    Or would they go with SpaceX for a least cost provider?

Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    Or would they go with SpaceX for a least cost provider?
    Doubtful, Directv seems to be pretty risk averse when it comes to its satellites. I think they'd pay more for someone with a longer track record.

Person Non Gratis
    Quote Originally Posted by slice1900 View Post
    Doubtful, Directv seems to be pretty risk averse when it comes to its satellites. I think they'd pay more for someone with a longer track record.
    They did use SeaLaunch which didn’t have a stellar record.

Curious, do US domestic satellite owner/operators even use Baikonur any longer what-with the deteriorated political relations?

Don't hear too much about them on the list of available launch providers for US satellites lately ...

Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    They did use SeaLaunch which didn’t have a stellar record.
    ATT is in control now.

Quote Originally Posted by HoTat2 View Post
    Curious, do US domestic satellite owner/operators even use Baikonur any longer what-with the deteriorated political relations?

Don't hear too much about them on the list of available launch providers for US satellites lately ...
    They have had quite a few launch problems in the last few years across their line of boosters. Most recently a failure to get an astronaut and cosmonaut to the ISS.

The SpaceX Falcon Heavy has recently become certified for US government launches. They may come in at a lower cost than Arianespace.
    DirecTV subscriber since 1999

W9ALN