Thread: New HS17 version? Just installed.

New HS17 version? Just installed.

I just had new service installed at my house - I had canceled due to them not adjusting the price after my 2 years and sent stuff back - then I got an email to sign up again at a very cheap price.

Today they installed a Genie 2 HS-17-500. This version doesn’t have an esata at all. I read somewhere that this may be a new version. Is there anything else changed in this?

Exact info in my Genie 2 info is: HS17R0.5/500 - anybody know what the changes are?

Quote Originally Posted by janthony6 View Post
    I just had new service installed at my house - I had canceled due to them not adjusting the price after my 2 years and sent stuff back - then I got an email to sign up again at a very cheap price.

Today they installed a Genie 2 HS-17-500. This version doesn’t have an esata at all. I read somewhere that this may be a new version. Is there anything else changed in this?

Exact info in my Genie 2 info is: HS17R0.5/500 - anybody know what the changes are?

The eSATA port was removed, the USB port was upgraded from USB 2.0 to 3.0, it uses newer satellite tuner chips, and a few other minor changes I can't remember for stuff like shielding.

There’s a thread somewhere about it - I’ve been searching for it but coming up empty. If anyone finds it please link it.

There was a thread on DBSTalk about the the eSATA port being removed on the HR54 and HS17 - NO ESATA PORT!. There may be other threads besides that one - I haven't been following things here or at DBSTalk much recently.

With the way SATA works this is purely a cost reduction measure - an eSATA port is just a slightly different connector from what's used internally.
    Last edited by hitokage; 08-18-2019 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hitokage View Post
    There was a thread on DBSTalk about the the eSATA port being removed on the HR54 and HS17 - NO ESATA PORT!. There may be other threads besides that one - I haven't been following things here or at DBSTalk much recently.

With the way SATA works this is purely a cost reduction measure - an eSATA port is just a slightly different connector from what's used internally.

The reason some people care is that it allows connecting an external drive, in case you want something larger than the drive it comes with without opening it up and violating the terms of service.

The fact the new model also upgraded from USB2 to USB3 makes me wonder if it would support a USB3 drive - AFAIK no one has tested that theory. But either way there are so few customers taking advantage of this (unsupported) feature that they probably saw no reason not to save a quarter or whatever by removing that port.